• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stand-alone phono pre's: what are you running and what's it like?

What are you running? SS? Tube?

A year or so back I finally took the plunge and added an Opera Consonance PM-1 tube phono stage to my set up. Until then I'd been using the phono stages in one integrated amp or preamp or another. They sounded very good, especially the Yamaha C-4 but the PM-1 was a quantum leap forward in every way. Much more detail and clearer, deeper soundstage and simply more presence. The bottom end is also quite astounding.

If I have one slight caveat it is that it can be a bit "hot" with some LPs and I'd like to replace the Jan Phillips tubes with something a bit warmer, preferably current issue and not too pricey. Suggestions welcome!

I have a CAL Alpha DAC, that I bought used, and came with JAN Phillips, installed by the previous owner. I thought they were an absolutely horrible tube, and quickly sought out others to use. After some tube swapping, my suspicions were right.

As I gather, your Opera Consonance uses two 12AX7 Tubes. Not sure if you can use others, such as the 5751 Tube?

One can virtually empty a bank account on a pair of matched-graded NOS 12AX7 types, by the likes of Telefunken, Amperex, Mullard, Pope, etc etc etc.

Two cheap tubes worth trying, which won't break the bank, and in either case should sound better than the JAN Phillips, would be the Sovtek 12AX7LPS, and the Sovtek-New Sensor 12AX7 Mullard Re-Issue.

Both are quiet tubes, the Sovtek LPS will probably be a more neutral tube, and the Mullard Re-Issue being a bit warmer. Mark
 
+1 on the PS Audio GCPH. I have a tube preamp (CJ PV-14L) so at least some tubes are in the chain. But when I upgrade my phono pre to the PS Audio GCPH it made a significant improvement.

Two cheap tubes worth trying, which won't break the bank, and in either case should sound better than the JAN Phillips, would be the Sovtek 12AX7LPS, and the Sovtek-New Sensor 12AX7 Mullard Re-Issue.

Both are quiet tubes, the Sovtek LPS will probably be a more neutral tube, and the Mullard Re-Issue being a bit warmer. Mark

+1 on the Sovtek 12AX7LPS. I installed them in my Fender 5E3 Tweed Deluxe. Cheap and quiet, just what I wanted. :thmbsp:
 
I have a CAL Alpha DAC, that I bought used, and came with JAN Phillips, installed by the previous owner. I thought they were an absolutely horrible tube, and quickly sought out others to use. After some tube swapping, my suspicions were right.

As I gather, your Opera Consonance uses two 12AX7 Tubes. Not sure if you can use others, such as the 5751 Tube?

One can virtually empty a bank account on a pair of matched-graded NOS 12AX7 types, by the likes of Telefunken, Amperex, Mullard, Pope, etc etc etc.

Two cheap tubes worth trying, which won't break the bank, and in either case should sound better than the JAN Phillips, would be the Sovtek 12AX7LPS, and the Sovtek-New Sensor 12AX7 Mullard Re-Issue.

Both are quiet tubes, the Sovtek LPS will probably be a more neutral tube, and the Mullard Re-Issue being a bit warmer. Mark
My experience of the Jan Phillips was like yours. That was what came in my CJ PV 12 when I got it and they got changed as soon as I could manage it. There is mention of an ECC83 in the listing for the PM-1, but that isn't one I'm familiar with or is another nomenclature for the 12AX7? Grant Fidelity has a new tube that's supposed to be excellent and I signed up for the pass-around on them but never heard back about it.

The funny thing about the Jan Phillips is that they sound fine when playing many LPs but just get a bit hot and beamy with some others. I guess they just run on the borderline of acceptable. One thing that I find really interesting about the PM-1 is how really distinctly different each LP sounds. I was playing an early Chick Corea album last night (Now He Sings, Now He Sighs) and the percussion was exhilarating, only word for it. Astounding. When I run my SS set-up the Yamaha C-4 makes things sound much more similar. Not sure how that works....
 
I run a Lehman Black Cube, and have a Seduction, waiting in the wings, that needs the loading adjusted.
I was all set to get a Seduction when the PM-1 appeared and I couldn't say no. I'll be looking forward what you think of it when you get it tweaked.
 
… There is mention of an ECC83 in the listing for the PM-1, but that isn't one I'm familiar with or is another nomenclature for the 12AX7? ....

ECC83 = 12AX7. Just another name.

I'm using a Rolls Bellari VP130. It's the first standalone phono pre I've had, and due to lack of comparison I still haven't made up my mind what I think of it. I did swap the stock Ruby tube for a Tung-sol but it's been so long since I did that I can't remember what the Ruby sounded like … I need to roll some more (affordable) tubes one of these days.
 
My experience of the Jan Phillips was like yours. That was what came in my CJ PV 12 when I got it and they got changed as soon as I could manage it. There is mention of an ECC83 in the listing for the PM-1, but that isn't one I'm familiar with or is another nomenclature for the 12AX7? Grant Fidelity has a new tube that's supposed to be excellent and I signed up for the pass-around on them but never heard back about it.

The funny thing about the Jan Phillips is that they sound fine when playing many LPs but just get a bit hot and beamy with some others. I guess they just run on the borderline of acceptable. One thing that I find really interesting about the PM-1 is how really distinctly different each LP sounds. I was playing an early Chick Corea album last night (Now He Sings, Now He Sighs) and the percussion was exhilarating, only word for it. Astounding. When I run my SS set-up the Yamaha C-4 makes things sound much more similar. Not sure how that works....

The ECC83 is the Euro equivalent of the 12AX7 Tube.

Here's a site you might enjoy reading about tubes.
http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12ax7.html

Mark
 
Another PS Audio GCPH, here. The highly adjustable gain has proven even more useful than I expected. It can be tweaked for any cartridge output from about 0.3mV on up. It is, of course, solid state, but I use it with my Audio Research CA50 tube integrated and it fits in beautifully. The GCPH is in no way threatened by the upgrade bug around here.
 
Another modd'ed Maryland Jolida JD9 here.

Upgraded with Obbligato aluminum film (dry) output caps. I also swapped the stock Electro Harmoix 12ax7's for a pair of Tung Sols (which is what Jolida of Mayland currently ships the JD9 with.) I also run mine with the top off and without the tube sleeves. Oh yeh, the power is delivered with a Signal Cable AC cord.

It's only the 3rd phono amp I've run since putting together a relatively revealing system, so I can't compare it to any units at similar price points.

But compared to the Cambridge Audio Azur 640p I was running before (and the onboard stage of a NAD 3020 before that), it's a significant step up the performance ladder. Compared to the 640p, it produces much bigger, fuller individual images with finer timbres. It also threw the soundstage out beyond the side walls and now with the upgraded caps and richer tubes, the soundstage has opened rearward as well.

The thing is a real playground of DIY upgrades. I'm looking forward to changing out the op amps next.
 
MS Nova. Wanted to try a battery-powered phono stage and the Nova does a good job. Mostly wanted a very quiet preamp and the Nova fits the bill.
 
Another Jolida JD9 lover. I have not modded anything, but have been flipping tubes. The nice thing about the JD9 I've noticed is that it easily lets you hear the different characteristics of the tubes flipped. My faves are Sylvania 6189 12AU7WAs...soo sweet, slightly compressed, full deep bass, and well balanced. I have tried a few diff pairs of SYL 6189s and they all have the same vibe. I like RCAs too, as a close second, but the Sylvanias win for my ears....quiet too. Now that I am happy with the 6189s I will start rolling input tubes in my amp....and the beat goes on.

As reference my cart is a Denon DL304 going through a Denon SUT.
 
I've been auditioning a Parasound PPH-100. Just like clydeselsor mentioned, it's got an annoying hum that is, as far as I can tell, a design flaw.

I've also been listening to a Rotel RQ-97BX that sounds better, but it's got to warm up to sound good.

A Hagerman Bugle that sounds much better, to my ears, than either of the above.

My current favorites, however, are the phono sections of my Yamaha C-4 pre and the A-1 integrated amp.

Soon a couple of friends, including a couple of store staff members, will do a listening test of the phono preamps I listed here at my local stereo shop. We'll do a blind test using some of their A-B gear so only I'll know what gear is which. I'm thinking of including the C-4 by using it as the preamp for the separate phono pres and then utilizing it's own phono section for another comparison.
 
Last edited:
I've been auditioning a Parasound PPH-100. Just like clydeselsor mentioned, it's got an annoying hum that is, as far as I can tell, a design flaw.

I've also been listening to a Rotel RQ-97BX that sounds better, but it's got to warm up to sound good.

A Hagerman Bugle that sounds much better, to my ears, than either of the above.

My current favorites, however, are the phono sections of my Yamaha C-4 pre and the A-1 integrated amp.

Soon a couple of friends, including some a couple of staff members, will do a listening test of the phono preamps I listed here at my local stereo shop. We'll do a blind test using some of their A-B gear so only I'll know what gear is which. I'm thinking of including the C-4 by using it as the preamp for the separate phono pres and then utilizing it's own phono section for another comparison.

The phono stage of the C-4 is really super. I was using it even with my tube set-up for awhile until I found the PM-1. That turned out to be yet another big jump. If I hadn't have taken that path I'd still have been a happy camper.
 
I use a Liberty Audio B2B-1 phono stage, and absolutely love the thing. It replaced a Hagerman Coronet II that has substantial upgrades. I found the Liberty to be better detailed, the tonal balance to be more even, more dynamic, and image better. In reality it outperformed the Hagerman in almost every significant category, but it doesn't sound like a tube phono stage, and the Coronet II does.

Whats interesting is that its a factory direct product from PBN Audio. The B2B-1 has the same basic circuit as the PBN phono stages, which sell for $12K and $20K.

Its not much to look at, but sure is built nicely. Does everything I want from a phono stage, including the ability to run .20mv moving coil cartridges, and feed a passive pre amp.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
Another Jolida JD9 lover. I have not modded anything, but have been flipping tubes. The nice thing about the JD9 I've noticed is that it easily lets you hear the different characteristics of the tubes flipped. My faves are Sylvania 6189 12AU7WAs...


Good to see another JD9/12au7 user :thmbsp:
 
I use a Liberty Audio B2B-1 phono stage, and absolutely love the thing. It replaced a Hagerman Coronet II that has substantial upgrades. I found the Liberty to be better detailed, the tonal balance to be more even, more dynamic, and image better. In reality it outperformed the Hagerman in almost every significant category, but it doesn't sound like a tube phono stage, and the Coronet II does.

Whats interesting is that its a factory direct product from PBN Audio. The B2B-1 has the same basic circuit as the PBN phono stages, which sell for $12K and $20K.

Its not much to look at, but sure is built nicely. Does everything I want from a phono stage, including the ability to run .20mv moving coil cartridges, and feed a passive pre amp.

Regards
Mister Pig
Thanks for the detailed description. As I often tell my students: music is not a visual concept.
 
I was a happy JD9 user for while and really appreciated the value it brought to my system. Then at the recomendation of a gentlemen on line who told me he sold his Gram Slee ERA Gold after previewing the Fon Lo Thingee by Blue Cirlcle I just had to try it out myself.

Perhaps it's just an amazing synergy with my CineMag transformers and my Denon DL103R but the Fon Lo Thingee brought a realizim to my system I never thought possible with my speakers. I guess it was my phono stage that was the limiting factor after all.....

Here's my thread on it:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=354802&highlight=fon+lo+thingee
 
HI,
I use an Aesthetix Rhea all tube phono stage. It does not sound "tubey" at all all except it is smooth and very detailed. Noise and hum are not problems. I use it with an Audio Research SP-11 MkII preamp into a spare line input. The Rhea's sound matches the sound of the SP-11 very closely making for a nicely matched pair.

Since I use only low and medium output MC's, a lot of quiet gain is needed and the Rhea delivers. Also, It provides three phono inputs, all with independently adjustable gain and loading from the front panel. It comes with a remote which controls all functions.

Sparky
 
Back
Top Bottom