• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stanton 681eee stylus replacement

Just called Canal they have more xl 33u 's added another one to my order and took off shipping charge. Told him Rob from Califronia says Hi He laughed and asked a few questions about AK. Said He'll check it out
 
Cool. I'm glad they still have more of these. Great people to deal with,IMO. Their two ebay accounts list free shipping, but their website doesn't offer free shipping?
 
On their website there is shipping charge of $8.00 or $10.00 I forget . I called this morning and told them I bought 2 on sat but would like 1 more and would they drop the shipping charges He said yes too both And they have more but didn't say how many just more.I think I've been to this store before It's in the chinatown, little italy area of
manhatten.Great food live only a little over an hr away go in a few times a yr
 
It would be a fun store to visit. Even more fun to sneak into the stockroom, and dig around to see just exactly what NOS styli they have buried in there.

So buying in multiples may get you free shipping? That's nice of them. :thmbsp:
 
I ordered two of the XL33U when I found the website and posted the home link yesterday. I just received confirmation that they are now on their way. :banana:

Shipping to the dark side of the moon AKA Canada was a very reasonable $11. Canal L&S likely feel as if a tidal wave of orders is coming in which I'm sure they appreciate. :tresbon:

Gerard
 
I ordered two of the XL33U when I found the website and posted the home link yesterday. I just received confirmation that they are now on their way. :banana:

Shipping to the dark side of the moon AKA Canada was a very reasonable $11. Canal L&S likely feel as if a tidal wave of orders is coming in which I'm sure they appreciate. :tresbon:

Gerard

Very cool, Gerard! I suspect their mail order dept. was busy this morning.:yes:

Still waiting for my mail carrier to show up with my three....she's usually here by now. Tracking says "out for delivery". Those are my three favorite words. :D
 
There are countless electronic stores in this area that have been there for yrs if not decades. Small items like this could easily be miss marked put on a shelve and forgotten about and left for years you never know
 
There are countless electronic stores in this area that have been there for yrs if not decades. Small items like this could easily be miss marked put on a shelve and forgotten about and left for years you never know

In other words, they are literally "Diamonds in the rough".:D
 
HiFiRob2

Today was Christmas in July! My (2) Pickering XL-33U cartridges arrived today in the late afternoon mail. NOS brand new in perfect condition. It's like going back in time to get these and getting them on sale then too! The stylus cleaning bottle even has fluid!
The only thing I did to each prior to testing them out was to clean up the 4 contact prongs, they had tarnished, used some 2000 grit emery sandpaper and then some contact cleaner/preservative. The stereo Gods have shinned on me today!

I think you'll be very happy next week when yours arrive.

Mine just showed up. The first one I checked looked perfect, so it's playing as I type. Sounds wonderful.

The other two have a very slightly askew cantilever, but not bad. I'll follow needlesteins tips on straightening them out, and they'll be fine.

Very happy with these.

Thanks Jeff, at Canal Sound & Light! :thmbsp:
 
Mine just showed up. The first one I checked looked perfect, so it's playing as I type. Sounds wonderful.

The other two have a very slightly askew cantilever, but not bad. I'll follow needlesteins tips on straightening them out, and they'll be fine.

Very happy with these.

Thanks Jeff, at Canal Sound & Light! :thmbsp:

:thmbsp:

Can't wait to see mine arrive!

Gerard
 
I just ordered one to pair with my SL-1100, first time I ever ran a Stanton cart on this table it will replace a Grado ZTE+. thanks for the heads up!
 
Since two of mine have a very slightly askew cantilever and stylus, I'm breaking them in by playing an old 12" single with a heavy bass line. I've used this method in the past with good results on DJ styli, so, hopefully, after an hour or so of play, the suspension will loosen up, and the stylus will set correctly.

If not, then I'll try rotating it with tweezers. Baby steps...

Either way, they sound great, so no worries.
 
Well, here is another possible 681 stylus replacement. Has anyone bought one of these Ed Saunders replacements? They claim the tip is stereohedron.
See this listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ED-SAUN...012?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c942a9a54

OK, who's going to try one?

No, NO! I've heard bad things about this seller. Not the real deal, just overpriced generics. The term "Stereohedron styled" is very misleading, IMHO.

Ed Saunders is no more. These are being sold by his daughter, I believe. Or wife? Not sure, but I would avoid it.

Edit: Just scroll down and read the questions and answers. Her answers are wrong, so I question her "expertise".
 
Last edited:
Well, here is another possible 681 stylus replacement. Has anyone bought one of these Ed Saunders replacements? They claim the tip is stereohedron.
See this listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ED-SAUN...012?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c942a9a54

OK, who's going to try one?

Hifirob2 is correct,... "No, NO! I've heard bad things about this seller. Not the real deal, just overpriced generics. The term "Stereohedron styled" is very misleading, IMHO...Ed Saunders is no more. These are being sold by his daughter, I believe. Or wife? Not sure, but I would avoid it....Edit: Just scroll down and read the questions and answers. Her answers are wrong, so I question her "expertise"...

I bought a Shure VN35 for the V15 type 3 and it the same as the cheap Pfansteihl and EVG. Nothing special at all about this stylus.
 
I must have got one of the last few. sorry you missed out.

When you get them, please check the stylus tip for alignment. One of mine was perfect, the other two are very slightly off. Needlestein knows how to fix this, and can probably walk you through how he fixed his. I will attempt his fix on mine when my hands are feeling more steady. Breaking them in with several hours of play didn't fix it, but is necessary - as the suspensions are pretty stiff after all these years in storage. Mine were quick to jump grooves at the lead in, but are now behaving nicely after break-in. VERY nice sounding!
 
Back
Top Bottom