• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stanton 999sh cart

sparks12kv

Active Member
I recently purchased a turntable with this extra cartridge. I wasn't expecting it would be useable, but after mounting and testing, it sure sounds good to me. The body is all black metal with a small silver sticker on it, no other markings. The box says 999SH, but I can't find any info about this cartridge. Anyone have any info if it really is the matching cartridge for the box, and where does it fit into their product lineup/what year would it have been made? Thanks everyone!
IMG_20161025_121910.jpgIMG_20161025_122023.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Very nice! ; - )
Black motor means 1990s production all made black Stanton AND Pickering then label applied to designate
End of the great times for Stanton
Your cartridge is 681 motor maybe better just not come with famous calibration sheet
Also sell that one as T4P with no famous Stanton wings
At end they putting together swan song lot of numbers to keep straight and interchange!
Extremely good cartridge and one of best stylus they EVER make MAY BE the best
You very lucky! ; - )
JJ
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the info. I did find a small pamphlet in the case that describes the Stereohedron stylus and tracking info, but that's about it. Shame there isn't a way to tell what motor is in the body. I took a peek under the silver sticker, nothing there.
 
...
At the best, you could have something like the D1800S stylus, which was the best stylus offered for Pickering's Moving Iron line except for maybe the D757S, for which there is little information.
...
.

I own a 757S and it have a bonded needle with a relatively thick cantilever. Nothing special and under the D1800S in the hierarchy, I think.
 
Thanks everyone for the info. I did find a small pamphlet in the case that describes the Stereohedron stylus and tracking info, but that's about it. Shame there isn't a way to tell what motor is in the body. I took a peek under the silver sticker, nothing there.
It is 681 without measurement data
Should not be any thing except black paint
JJ
 
about a year or so ago I got a Stanton Pro 95 with a D75S.This a dealer brand item so info is scarce. The only info they give you is that it is a stereohedron,an out put of .82mv/cm/sec and a vtf of 3/4 to1 1/2 g. I think the key clue is the output of .82. looking at the Stanton line up of this time only the 680 EE and 680EE S have it and the VTF is the same.There is no FR for the D75S nor have I ever been able to find one.This is whyI belive it to be the 680 EE S. Only Stanton knows for sure or possibly Richard.The cantilever on the D75 is thinner and different shape in the stylus mounting area than the DTL 2S,it looks like the D74S for thickness but they are of slightly different color ( don't know if that means anything).The cantilever is difinatly longer on the D75 than both of them.While the DTL 2S is pretty good the D75S is much better and I prefer it over the D74S.This is just MHO and I hope it helps. Also I believe the D75S a different stylus than the 757S. So basically you got a very good cart enjoy it.
'
 
I edit my post about black body this was when Stanton and Pickering all coming off same line and just sticker to differentiate also why I say it is 681 motor
All the bodies were black at the end for top models and BLACK Stanton fairly unusual
I bought mine at same time this cartridge being discussed was being produced
I stock pile Sterohedron styli only $50 each at time! Think about now ; - (
Then gave away on machine deal 1996 how many here wish they had crystal ball? : - (
Only difference one came with sheet other not I see them at same shop side by side
Installing 999 on used machines they were selling 681EEE MkIIs to walk in and authorized Stanton and Shure dealer so I not going to bet life on it but would bet $100! ; - )
JJ
 
I have a question for needlestein or anyone else who can answer it. In a previous post here I said the d75S cantilever was longer than the d74S. I got curious and maesured it. It's about 1MM longer checked 2nd d75s and it was the same.The d75 is a 681 cart ( says 681 om side but there is no documents for it )standard 1/2" mount while the d74 is from a l747 p mount. the question is what if any difference in the sound and or traking is there with the longer cantilever?As I said both cantilevers look very similar. I think I'm going to have set them both up same time and do A-B test again
 
Back
Top Bottom