• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Starter British Speakers - What to look for on EBAY

M8och

New Member
Good Evening to all.
Just got outbid on a pair of Good Condition Castle Acoustic bookshelf speakers just went for over £100!

I have an unplayed Rega Planar 3 and I’m wanting and hoping to get a Pioneer SX 550 just to start me off. As I am an ebay addict being in the Uk Yorkshire based what speakers would you suggest looking for?

I prefer vintage look and hoping to remedy the fronts to go with colour scheme in the house.
Any pointers???
 
Register to hide this ad
A price range will help. Is $135 (£100) your top end, or a starting point? I'd love a pair of Tannoy Golds, but for £150, I'd probably have to settle for Reveal 6Ps.
 
Anything KEF or Mission.

Second this recommendation!

On the cheaper end, OP can look for some Mission 700 Leading Edge speakers that I love, and that sometimes just get lumped in as 700's and not the Leading Edge variant.

Tons of great KEF's out there, best I currently have are 103/4's, but they'll require refoaming and maintenance, but there are cheaper variants out there that won't require work to keep them going. I got some KEF Coda 8's for very little money that sound great to my ears

Check the board as you find specific models, people here have tried just about everything for these 2 brands
 
Monitor Audio 2-ways are a lot of speaker for the $$. The Gold line is recommended although I am not sure they would fall into your price range. Even with your modest budget I would try to listen before buying. Monitor Audio MA700 Gold speakers were the gateway drug for me....
 
I would look for a pair of KEF 2.2's or other Kefs for that price. some Cantons might also fill the bill for the right price.
 
Good Evening to all.
Just got outbid on a pair of Good Condition Castle Acoustic bookshelf speakers just went for over £100!

I have an unplayed Rega Planar 3 and I’m wanting and hoping to get a Pioneer SX 550 just to start me off. As I am an ebay addict being in the Uk Yorkshire based what speakers would you suggest looking for?

I prefer vintage look and hoping to remedy the fronts to go with colour scheme in the house.
Any pointers???
Bad luck on the Castle speakers. We recently moved to Skipton and whilst doing a bit of research on the local area I discovered that our house is approx. 60 metres from the old Castle Acoustics manufacturing site, which aroused my interest in the company. I managed to snag a pair of Castle Trent II speakers off EBay for £50.
They have really nice walnut veneer finish and a matching quality refined sound. I was previously using Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s which are presently sitting in storage and unlikely to be pressed back into service any time soon!
 
Hail, fellow Yorkshireman! I have KEF Cresta 2's that I picked up from the 'bay for £50, I'm enjoying them :)
 
Celestion F1. Cheap. I saw a review that compared them to the legendary BBC monitors LS3/5A, and I scoffed at the effrontery.

But then I listened to them side by side (I have Chartwell LS3/5A's). I was still resisting the comparison, looking for disqualifiers — how could a cheap entry-level speaker possibly be as good as a speaker that defines excellence? But then a friend dropped by; he works in a recording studio, and said he couldn't tell when I switched. We played all kinds of music, from Bach to Ray Charles, and the F1's were uncanny,
 
I think a better time to choose might be after you have your power in place.

Then, you've have a better idea what to buy and what you'll have left over to spend on speakers.

Q
 
Back
Top Bottom