• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Starting my Au-999 Recap

Yep..got them right this time :D

Well.. I re-set the Bias and offset after i changed those last two.. and got it all put together. I get sound.. good sound.. but unfortunately it's 2am here and everyone's sleeping..so i had to be quiet.

I noticed that phono 1 only works if it's halfway in-between the detent.. so that'll have to be adjusted or fixed somehow..all the other sources work though.

Other than that all is well! I'll hook it up to the Kef's when I get up tomorrow..

Thanks again to all..especially Kevin! :banana:

Excellent work Toby............Yeah, give it a good thrashing tomorrow, let us know what you think.....

Might be something mechanically related to the problem with the switch perhaps, similar to what happens with the rotary switch on the G receivers........
 
Excellent work Toby............

I second that - this has been one heck of a good thread, and a highly instructive one. A quintessential AK electronic fault finding journey to a highly satisfying finish.

Well done to you both.

Just the most minor details to finish off now I think.
 
Yep..got them right this time :D

Well.. I re-set the Bias and offset after i changed those last two.. and got it all put together. I get sound.. good sound.. but unfortunately it's 2am here and everyone's sleeping..so i had to be quiet.

I noticed that phono 1 only works if it's halfway in-between the detent.. so that'll have to be adjusted or fixed somehow..all the other sources work though.

Other than that all is well! I'll hook it up to the Kef's when I get up tomorrow..

Thanks again to all..especially Kevin! :banana:


All right tobyj17...very nice job :thmbsp:

Wake up your neighbors with the music on Sunday morning and tell us the reaction :D
 
Woke up this morning to a different mess..these are outside my house. No neighbors :D Pepa idk if you get snow where you're at, but I know Kevin doesn't.. so these are for you :D

Picture003.jpg


Picture002.jpg


Picture001.jpg


Picture004.jpg
 
OMG,tobyj17.... beautiful landscape... my kids would be thrilled with the snow (at least the younger would)... I'm jealous too...:banana:

BTW-no snow here at the moment ,but it should be;it’s almost winter ...and you can be out wearing a T-shirt only... everything has changed) :thumbsdn:

thank's for the pics...I like it...real "Sansui" landscape :thmbsp:
 
Woke up this morning to a different mess..these are outside my house. No neighbors :D Pepa idk if you get snow where you're at, but I know Kevin doesn't.. so these are for you :D

Wow, thanks for the view Toby....:thmbsp: Man that is one nice view.....I can tell you are in the middle nowhere too, good to see where my G22K came from!!......I am thinking about moving out a bit further to a less populated area.....but of course it does not snow like that where I live...
However I am no stranger to snow....its only 4 hours drive away in the winter here.....and I have been stranded many times on tour in New Zealand, so I know how although it can look beautiful, it can also be very annoying when you cant get out of the driveway or in my case, get to the next town.....but being stranded has its advantages too...:yes:
In Nov 2008 we were on a tour and it is supposed to be summer, we got up to move on to the next town, and looked out the window and saw this.....
This was in the South Island in a small town called Tekapo.
p1040725h.jpg

p1040726p.jpg

The lake is one of our beautiful southern lakes called Lake Tekapo (strangely).
p1040727yj.jpg

p1040729.jpg

p1040731.jpg

This is the view from my house, one towards the hills (Waitakere Ranges) and one the other way towards Auckland City, which is about 15miles away.
p1050895x.jpg

p1050894i.jpg


Well Im really pleased you had success with the AU-999 Toby, what are you going to tackle next?
I would be interested in your opinion of how it sounds, I like the sound of mine although I find it to be a bit "lightweight", I always seem to be turning the Bass up on mine........
 
Nice pics Kev, I've heard that NZ is a very pretty country.. and those prove it! I'll tell ya.. out in the country is nice, but it's got it's drawbacks...of course so does living in the city.

Anyways, I've got the AU-999 rotated in.. hooked up to my Kef's. Like Kev, the first thing I had to do was turn the bass up.. it's pretty shallow when it's flat. Turn the bass up though, and it's accurate and punchy. It's not very powerful though. Of course that could be the turntable..I'll try a CD later. The highs aren't bad.. they could use a little more detail, and the midrange is a little harsh, which I've figured out how to get rid of by adjusting the tone controls. Overall though.. it's a great little amp. Some of this could be capacitor burn in.. because the more I listen to it the better it's sounding. It's a different sound.. and I like it.

I've got a spot picked out here next to the computer for it. I've got some JBL monitor series bookshelf speakers that I think will work well with it. Because of the strange schedules we all hold around the house here it's not often I get to use the main system at louder levels.. so i think this is a perfect addition.

Thanks again for all your help everybody!

And Kevin.. the next project is my turntable... The tech i took it to only replaced enough caps to get the thing working.. not ALL of them like I told him to. The quartz speed lock isn't working..so I guess i gotta do it myself!

At a later date though.. I've inhaled enough soldering fumes for a couple weeks..
 
We do live in a beautiful country for sure......
Yep, it must be working right because thats pretty much my impression of them too.........
Good for a bit of casual medium level listening, perfect for that sort of thing.....
Yeah they run out of headroom pretty quickly, especially when you have the bass cranked up a bit.......

Right, no more amplifier projects.......the old turntable huh?
Well, it wont be as dramatic or exciting as this project somehow.......

Enjoy the AU-999....:thmbsp:
 
This is an old thread, but I gotta add my two cents.

Since doing the Recap, removing filter block, and kevsep's preamp mod, I sincerely can't believe the sound from this.
Now granted I evidently have been living a sheltered life as far as personal high quality audio goes, but....

I have heard some expensive stuff in the past, as have my friends, and I have been having a parade through my door to hear this thing, and it's akin to a spiritual experience for others and I.

I am SO delighted with this!!!

If this sounds so freakin awesome I will be in for a treat with something that you guys say "is the best".

I had been listening to music with a Cowon S9 and Sure SE535's and thought that that was good sound. Nothing compares to FEELING the music!!!

Many thanks to all who provide assistance and encouragement with this site.

mike
 
This is an old thread, but I gotta add my two cents.

Since doing the Recap, removing filter block, and kevsep's preamp mod, I sincerely can't believe the sound from this.
Now granted I evidently have been living a sheltered life as far as personal high quality audio goes, but....

I have heard some expensive stuff in the past, as have my friends, and I have been having a parade through my door to hear this thing, and it's akin to a spiritual experience for others and I.

I am SO delighted with this!!!

If this sounds so freakin awesome I will be in for a treat with something that you guys say "is the best".

I had been listening to music with a Cowon S9 and Sure SE535's and thought that that was good sound. Nothing compares to FEELING the music!!!

Many thanks to all who provide assistance and encouragement with this site.

mike

Happy to help Mike, the Au999 is a great amplifier with those tweaks......
It was part of the deciding factor to let my G22000 go, apart from all the McIntosh gear, it was the fact that in our bedroom system, the Au999 held its own against the G22K in that environment......
I moved the G22K in the bedroom system when my Mac system grew, and both my girlfriend and I did not like it as much as the modified AU999, we gave it two weeks.......

In summary, my Au999 is a keeper, and will always be in one of my systems......
In my opinion, the modified AU999 is right up there with the best....:yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom