• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

starting my vintage pioneer audio equip. collection, your thoughts?

Hifi440

New Member
Greetings!
thank you in advance for your time. I bought a pioneer receiver sx-434 and well something happened... I'm hooked...

so in looking for a possible long term project to acquire a nice pioneer set up I came up with the following...

receiver: pioneer sx-1010 $300-600
tape deck: Pioneer CT-F7272 $100
8 track: Pioneer H-R99 $100
speakers: Not sure.. but in the 300 to 500 dollar range
Turntable: Not sure but in the $200 dollar range?

Am I in the ballpark for both era and price range?

Thanks again!

JC
 
Register to hide this ad
Typically we talk about equipment values in the "Dollars and Sense" forum, but I suspect you'll get a "pass" on this since you are relatively new.

That stated, your estimates seem reasonable. If you shop well and are patient you might do better. As an example, I picked up an ensemble about a year and a half ago of all working equipment including one pair of Pioneer HPM-100 speakers, one SX-950 receiver (comparable to the 1010, almost), one CT-F6262 cassette, one decent Sansui SR-525 turntable, and one Pioneer RT-1011L reel-to-reel tape unit (easily equal the value of the 8-track player). The complete package was within (barely) what you quoted for the speakers alone. Those don't happen every day, and realistically NEVER happen to me. But patience can be a virtue as well as careful selection and shopping.
 
thank you both. My hope is to take a slow engaging tour of discovery and try to be as patient as possible. You know I had not even thought about the reel-to-reel tape... awesome.
I apologize for the choosing the wrong forum, although now that I think about it, it makes total sense. BTW I have been reading various posts, this is a great resource of knowledge which is very much appreciated.
 
I picked up a Pioneer PL-S50 automatic turntable for $20. Also saw at a thrift store a Pioneer PL-117 - real beauty - for $20. I still regret not getting that one.
 
When I first started collecting, I went for broken sets to repair and trade up for the sets I really wanted. The condition was not a concern as I was just starting. Now - condition is everything to me! The point is: Whatever you decide for equipment, default to the best condition cosmetically you can. Don't pay up for damage that can't be reversed cheaply.
 
Receiver, SX-1050 or SX-1250... they are not out of the price range your talking about and there is just something about the silver face pioneer stuff... My first real receiver I bought when I was 20 was a 1250... still in love with them... also, parts are not unobtainium!
 
My dream Pio system with a reasonable budget (why would it need to be top of the line?) would look like this:

SX-950 receiver (1050 or 1250 if you can score it)
CT-F9191 cassette deck (for aesthetics, if you must)
HPM-100 speakers
PL-530 turntable

That would be a very fun, beautiful system. I know that if I scored those 3 or 4 pieces listed, I'd be dumping some money into refurbishing them all. It's a slippery slope!
 
Not really, can't speak for the cassette deck, not much to be done to HPM's, just a recap. Same for the receiver. I have a PL-530 that I traded a SX-780 for.. it had been sitting in a garage unused for 20 years... just need cleaning and lubing.. and a new ground wire. For some odd reason the previous owner cut it off right at the base of the table.... all the equipment I have has cost me less than $2k.. Just taken a lot of patience and looking. Craigslist, Shopgoodwill.... Goodwill's, estate sales, etc... ! Recapping equipment is inexpensive if you have the abilities...
 
In my bedroom I have:
SX-838
PL-50
CT-F9191
HPM-100
It is a nice sounding, very nice looking vintage Pioneer system that I acquired very reasonably. I plan on keeping it because I am quite nostalgic and it is what i would have wanted in my youth. If you are a wise shopper, you can get what you want well within hour budget. Even in the best condition, it will probably require some maintenance or refurbishing so be sure and budget for that. Have fun!
 
My dream Pio system with a reasonable budget (why would it need to be top of the line?)
SX-950 receiver
CT-F9191 cassette deck
HPM-100 speakers
PL-530 turntable

That's the exact system I picked up years ago at the thrift. Obviously some ones set up they probably bought new and the kids tossed aside, as it all functioned well except the cassette. Still does.
 
All new people do the same mistake, don't ask how I know it.

My advice would be
- buy the higher model you can afford and in the best condition you can afford (as already suggested above). Later you can always upgrade.

- personally, I don't bother with tape deck, 8 track, reel-to-reel. It saves a lot of funds and energy. Re-allocate these funds to speakers-receiver-turntable.
 
Back
Top Bottom