• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Starting with Martial Arts late in life. Anyone experiences?

Mr.White

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm 57 and wanting to get into Martial Arts. I live in NYC and violent crime is on the rise. I was curious to hear from folks that have started Martial Arts late in life and how that worked out for you. I took some Taekwando in the 80's and about 10 years ago I took some Krav Maga lessons.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm 57 and wanting to get into Martial Arts. I live in NYC and violent crime is on the rise. I was curious to hear from folks that have started Martial Arts late in life and how that worked out for you. I took some Taekwando in the 80's and about 10 years ago I took some Krav Maga lessons.
Boxing, learning how to correctly throw a punch (keyword) and keep your distance (through footwork) is more beneficial, especially against more than one attacker. Hell of a way to lose weight also.
 
I have a deep abiding respect for the martial arts, and worked out in Tae Kwon Do for many years. Taught properly, and approached as more than just "learning how to fight," the discipline is of tremendous benefit to many physicsl, mental, and emotional aspects of one's life...as are many of the "classical" martial arts.

If one's goal is to quickly learn how to defend one's self in dangerous situations, which differs from the goal of learning a martial art, I'd suggest seeking out a course geared specifically to self-defense training. I say this because I had an eye-opening experience while sparring with several white belts during preparation for testing for one of my advancing belts. One of these newbies was an "untrained" fighter, which meant he didn't fight at all like a martial artist, but he had learned via the school of hard knocks on the street. Despite my years of training at that point, I really struggled against him, and learned a lot about what is useful....and what isn't in certain situations.

If true martial arts appeal to you AND you're interested in useful personal defense and control, I'd recommend Aikido and/or Jiu Jitsu. Neither will be a quick path, but the concepts of redirection and control, at least in my experience, are more useful than strikes and blocks....and result in less harm to all parties involved, unless of course harm is intended...and it shouldn't be.

Again, if you are looking for fast results and don't want to spend years training, a course geared specifically towards self-defense techniques may be more useful in the near future.

Just some thoughts. I am not, by any stretch, a master or expert.
 
Last edited:
I have a deep abiding respect for the martial arts, and worked out in Tae Kwon Do for many years. Taught properly, and approached as more than just "learning how to fight," the discipline is of tremendous benefit to many physicsl, mental, and emotional aspects of one's life...as are many of the "classical" martial arts.

If one's goal is to quickly learn how to defend one's self in dangerous situations, which differs from the goal of learning a martial art, I'd suggest seeking out a course geared specifically to self-defense training. I say this because I had an eye-opening experience while sparring with several white belts during preparation for testing for one of my advancing belts. One of these newbies was an "untrained" fighter, which meant he didn't fight at all like a martial artist, but he had learned via the school of hard knocks on the street. Despite my years of training at that point, I really struggled against him, and learned a lot about what is useful....and what isn't in certain situations.

If true martial arts appeal to you AND you're interested in useful personal defense and control, I'd recommend Aikido and/or Jiu Jitsu. Neither will be a quick path, but the concepts of redirection and control, at least in my experience, are more useful than strikes and blocks....and result in less harm to all parties involved, unless of course harm is intended...and it shouldn't be.

Again, if you are looking for fast results and don't want to spend years training, a course geared specifically towards self-defense techniques may be more useful in the near future.

Just some thoughts. I am not, by any stretch, a master or expert.

Thank you for you're insightful response.

"If true martial arts appeal to you AND you're interested in useful personal defense and control, I'd recommend Aikido and/or Jiu Jitsu. Neither will be a quick path, but the concepts of redirection and control, at least in my experience, are more useful than strikes and blocks....and result in less harm to all parties involved, unless of course harm is intended...and it shouldn't be."

100% this right here^. My good friend recommended Jiu Jitsu for these same reasons.

 
...useful personal defense and control, I'd recommend Aikido and/or Jiu Jitsu.

Seconding these, but Jiu Jitsu in particular. Where I was raised one needed to be able to defend oneself. My brother and I enrolled @ the Chicago Institute of Jiu Jitsu as boys (he was 9, I was 10), where we studied/practiced -- and competed -- for 7-8 years (7 for me). After university, I was back @ MA in the Army, again Jiu Jitsu / Judo ... US SOG were not yet @ KM @ the late 1970s. Used a/or practiced almost daily for nine years, then set away in a closet for about a decade till I took it out, dusted it off, and renewed daily practice in (circa) 2002. I'm in a club here, in France, @ which I instruct experienced teens~young adults in the stuff. It'sa lotta fun but I prefer powerlifting.

Anyway, J-J is darned good stuff "for the streets" get my meaning.
 
Thank you for you're insightful response.

"If true martial arts appeal to you AND you're interested in useful personal defense and control, I'd recommend Aikido and/or Jiu Jitsu. Neither will be a quick path, but the concepts of redirection and control, at least in my experience, are more useful than strikes and blocks....and result in less harm to all parties involved, unless of course harm is intended...and it shouldn't be."

100% this right here^. My good friend recommended Jiu Jitsu for these same reasons.

In that case, boost my "seconding" to "thirding" of J-J @ this thread.

PPS: Jiu Jitsu Institute of Chicago is still active:

https://www.jjichicago.com/
 
NB: In response to your OP, we did not start studying as adults, but I'll nonetheless recommend J-J as the best way to go for a 57-yo guy.
 
I'm 57 and wanting to get into Martial Arts. I live in NYC and violent crime is on the rise. I was curious to hear from folks that have started Martial Arts late in life and how that worked out for you. I took some Taekwando in the 80's and about 10 years ago I took some Krav Maga lessons.
Do your homework and figure out what martial art 'fits' your character, body/age limitations, and goals.

When you've got some choices down and have identified some martial arts studios/dojos in your area go visit and talk to the instructors - ask questions. Instructors should be eager and open to discuss where they studied, who their instructors were, the history of the lineage, organizations they belong to. Be wary of McDojos and secretive inner circles only to black belts, or newly founded arts and grandmasters.

Ask if you can take a class or two to directly experience the learning environment - it may not be a fit for you and you shouldn't feel pressured as if you are joining 24/7 Fitness.

There are many types of martial arts and depending on your body, age, goals, some non-open fist/contact styles can be a good match. I took up iaijutsu/kenjutsu/jojutsu (sword and staff) in my mid 30s and have studied for over 20 years to work my way up to instructor. I'm just suggesting that sometimes the opportunity to study at a good school with a good instructor may be better that just focusing on a specific art. The life lessons and benefits can be life changing - they were for me.
 
I don't think you're being realistic. Jean Claude Van Damm got his butt kicked by a bouncer who knew how to street fight. I lived in Brooklyn in the 1970s and being from a Midwestern demographic that tends to be physically larger than the typical New Yorker I really didn't have any problems. At your age I'd recommend high repetition weight lifting and using your head when you're out in public.
 
I don't think you're being realistic. Jean Claude Van Damm got his butt kicked by a bouncer who knew how to street fight. I lived in Brooklyn in the 1970s and being from a Midwestern demographic that tends to be physically larger than the typical New Yorker I really didn't have any problems. At your age I'd recommend high repetition weight lifting and using your head when you're out in public.

Strength and endurance are key but I wouldn't go too high on the reps ... strength gains less attainable and joint problems from repetitive motion under stress a real possibility. Shoot for s.t. not powerlifting but also not bodybuilding. I could go into it more deeply but dinner calls.
 
Strength and endurance are key but I wouldn't go too high on the reps ... strength gains less attainable and joint problems from repetitive motion under stress a real possibility. Shoot for s.t. not powerlifting but also not bodybuilding. I could go into it more deeply but dinner calls.
To piggyback on that, physical strength is not very useful without technique (in pretty much ALL physical endeavors in life), whereas good technique and situational comfort levels are always useful, even in situations where more physical strength and stamina would be an additional asset.

Strength training and cardio are always beneficial, but they only provide you with a better "tool," meaning your body. A great tool in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it rarely yields geeat results, while even a poor tool in the hands of a master can produce amazing results. Unless you know how to use the tool masterfully, it has little value.

Ideally, of course, as skill levels progress, so should the tools used.
 
To piggyback on that, physical strength is not very useful without technique (in pretty much ALL physical endeavors in life), whereas good technique and situational comfort levels are always useful, even in situations where more physical strength and stamina would be an additional asset.

Strength training and cardio are always beneficial, but they only provide you with a better "tool," meaning your body. A great tool in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it rarely yields geeat results, while even a poor tool in the hands of a master can produce amazing results. Unless you know how to use the tool masterfully, it has little value.

Ideally, of course, as skill levels progress, so should the tools used.

That's about the size of things.
 
Strength and endurance are key but I wouldn't go too high on the reps ... strength gains less attainable and joint problems from repetitive motion under stress a real possibility. Shoot for s.t. not powerlifting but also not bodybuilding. I could go into it more deeply but dinner calls.
The problem with being old (or so I'm told) is that if you injure yourself it takes a lot longer to heal. And weight lifting is addictive and you're not gonna want to take a break for several weeks while some soft tissue injury SLOWLY heals. By high reps I mean like 25. Not doing a marathon. And the only real "incident" I had was a gun threat on the GG while it was making a stop in Bed-Sty. But it was kids. I never saw an actual gun. One of them took a fake swing at me while they were exiting but I didn't flinch and off they went. High spirited lads they were. I was basically wearing a "Mug Me" sign with my suitcase and military haircut.
 
Last edited:
In that case, boost my "seconding" to "thirding" of J-J @ this thread.

PPS: Jiu Jitsu Institute of Chicago is still active:

https://www.jjichicago.com/

My cousin George Cozzi was a 5th degree black in judo, yeah, stood about 5'-4", but don't let him get his hands on you. Went to Japan, and won many tournaments there. Olympic quality, but to get in such, you have to have mucho connections.

And 2 close friends who were pretty good with the Shoalin Kung Fu, one a second degree black Sash, and another, an 8th degree junior grandmaster. Both studied under grandmaster John Tsai in Chicago. Shoalin Temple.

As soon as you threw a punch or kick, you screwed yourself.

A couple of their sayings, "What you put in, you get out". And "it's not what you add, but what you take away".
 
Last edited:
Mr. White what kind of shape are you in?

I started judo in middle school, studied Shōrin-ryū Karate in Okinawa (home of modern Japanese karate). Wrestled in high school and college. Been physical active all my life. Rock climbing, surfing, cycling, triathlons, yoga and stuff. Currently I'm training for a marathon.

I'm 63 and thinking about taking Jiu-Jitsu at a local Carlson Gracie gym. But I'm trying to get into better shape so I won't get my ass kicked.

I visit NYC, SF and other big cities. Awareness is your biggest asset.

Good luck.
 
Mr. White what kind of shape are you in?

Four years ago I was over 300 pounds and in bad shape. I lost 100 pounds and got in great shape. In the last 6 months I've regained 30 pounds and I'm now getting serious about losing it. I have a physically active job involving lifting, pulling heavy skids with a manual jack etc.
 
Four years ago I was over 300 pounds and in bad shape. I lost 100 pounds and got in great shape. In the last 6 months I've regained 30 pounds and I'm now getting serious about losing it. I have a physically active job involving lifting, pulling heavy skids with a manual jack etc.
One thing that goes with age, that most people don't take into account is flexibility. I always tell them to try yoga or stretch on a regular basis. It'll increase balance, coordination, stamina and speed. You can be strong as hell, but if you can't tag your opponent, they will whittle you down.
 
The problem with being old (or so I'm told) is that if you injure yourself it takes a lot longer to heal. And weight lifting is addictive and you're not gonna want to take a break for several weeks while some soft tissue injury SLOWLY heals. By high reps I mean like 25. Not doing a marathon. And the only real "incident" I had was a gun threat on the GG while it was making a stop in Bed-Sty. But it was kids. I never saw an actual gun. One of them took a fake swing at me while they were exiting but I didn't flinch and off they went. High spirited lads they were. I was basically wearing a "Mug Me" sign with my suitcase and military haircut.

@ some over 60, I still lift very heavy (heavily) and recover pretty quickly, but then I have been @ this a long time. Only time I ever exceed 8-10 reps is a twice-monthly AMRAP w/ flat bench @ 250 lbs -- 20-30 reps. That's it. Occasional stiffness in right shoulder owing to scar tissue in rotator cuff -- injury sustained in long fall in early 1980s -- but I'm well accustomed to it, live w/ it, and it is surprisingly mobile~flexible, w/ a lotta work o'er the years.
 
Last edited:
@ some over 60, I still lift very heavy (heavily) and recover pretty quickly, but then I have been @ this a long time. Only time I ever exceed 8-10 reps is a twice-monthly AMRAP w/ flat bench @ 250 lbs -- 20-30 reps. That's it. Occasional stiffness in right shoulder owing to scar tissue in rotator cuff -- injury sustained in long fall in early 1980s -- but I'm well accustomed to it, live w/ it, and it is surprisingly mobile~flexible, w/ a lotta work o'er the years.
That's very cool. The only reason I stressed high reps is that your risk of getting a heart attack (or blowing a gasket in some other manner) is reduced as you decrease the weight and increase the reps. The very few scuffles I've been in as an adult have involved the very drunk or the very high and just being able to do a shitload of pushups was all the "power" I needed. So that's where my low weight / high rep philosophy comes from. Kudos to you - weightlifting does amazing things for your general health. When I was into it I went several years without even getting hay fever. Must be some kind of weird adrenaline thing.
 
That's very cool. The only reason I stressed high reps is that your risk of getting a heart attack (or blowing a gasket in some other manner) is reduced as you decrease the weight and increase the reps. The very few scuffles I've been in as an adult have involved the very drunk or the very high and just being able to do a shitload of pushups was all the "power" I needed. So that's where my low weight / high rep philosophy comes from. Kudos to you - weightlifting does amazing things for your general health. When I was into it I went several years without even getting hay fever. Must be some kind of weird adrenaline thing.

Could be related to increased adrenaline or even upped testosterone, esp. w/ heavy weight the (natural) prodcuction of T increases by a lot. In combination, upped adrenaline & T may bolster immunity.

For cardio stuff, I push "heavy sled": a 50-kilo sled thing topped w/ 100 kilos of big plates ... twice week, in an HIIT (high-intensity interval training) mode where I'll do 7-10 "sets" @ 10-15 seconds on, 40-50 seconds rest, back on, back off, until I've completed the nth "set".

PS: My daily practice of jiu-jitsu is also a high-cardio involving activity.
 
Back
Top Bottom