• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stealth vs. Hexfred Diodes

xoaphexox

Supernatural Anesthetist
When performing upgrades of power supplies in devices like tuners and amplifiers I have seen people use fast diodes - there are two types in particular which I didn't realize until today were actually two separate lines. I had heard the term 'stealth hexfred' diodes - apparently they are actually two separate lines.

I use them in a KT-8300 and PunkerX used some in my TU-919 and I have had no problems with them...

I am curious what the difference would be in practice in the context of upgrading a power supply in, say, a Pioneer SA-9100.

Thanks.

Stealth Datasheet:
http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/IS/ISL9R860P2.pdf

Hexfred Datasheet:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/94047/hfa08tb6.pdf
 
Register to hide this ad
Based on the data sheets, I'd pick the Fairchild because it is specified for avalanche energy - it should withstand overvoltage spikes better than most. That's a specification I always look for. Both of these will have minimal switching noise in a 60 hz application.
 
Based on the data sheets, I'd pick the Fairchild because it is specified for avalanche energy - it should withstand overvoltage spikes better than most. That's a specification I always look for. Both of these will have minimal switching noise in a 60 hz application.

Interesting, I always kind of assumed a diode was a diode...I'll have to look into this, I haven't heard of uF diodes, all i've heard of is schmitt trigger circuits. Learn something new everyday, so thanks for bringing it up:yes:

Out of curiousity, on some amps, wouldn't that 60hz switching noise be even more minimized by an inclusion of a 10nF or so filter cap in parallel to the diode? I have been doing that in my power supply designs after picking it up in a pioneer manual.:scratch2:
 
In the SA-9100 in question the rectifying diodes are bypassed by .01uF ceramic caps which I have seen bypassed by poly caps instead (as an 'upgrade') but never tried that myself. I have an SA-9100 torn down on the bench right now that I may just try it out on...
 
In the SA-9100 in question the rectifying diodes are bypassed by .01uF ceramic caps which I have seen bypassed by poly caps instead (as an 'upgrade') but never tried that myself. I have an SA-9100 torn down on the bench right now that I may just try it out on...

Sounds about right. the .01uF translates to 10nF, which seems to be the pioneer standard value for diode noise suppresion. Ceramic caps I would think are okay for this application, as they only act as couplers...and are in the power supply. Of course, poly caps are better quality, but I can't imagine any better effect. Maybe the ceramics have a little extra noise, but I doubt there is a difference.:scratch2: If anything, would think film caps would be better, but I haven't looked into noise and other ratings.

These uF diodes are very neat...i've been looking them up. Next project is getting the uF diode treatment. I love trying new things and building power supplies, so this is great:yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom