• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Steely Dan is amazing, what else should I check out?

The reason why most people have trouble trying to nail down similar “Steely-type” musicians is because they’re all over the map musically... rock/pop flavor (Royal Scam, Reeling in the Years), R & B flavor (Black Cow, FM), jazz flavor (Rikki Don’t Lose That Number, East St. Louis Toodle-oo), etc.

They just have a well produced (some say over-produced) sound and an unusual set of lyrics that are open to different interpretations.

Initially I never thought much about them and then one day bought nearly every thing they made.

Go figure.
 
For what it's worth

When I would listen to Steely Dan I always followed it up with either 10CC or Supertramp. These three bands always went the distance for recording their music in the best possible means at this time. The sound of their recordings never let you down and showcased your system. :thmbsp:

Totally agree, along with the Dan, I was always amazed at the sounds that came out of the groves on 10cc and Supertramp.
 
Frank Zappa. Seriously.

He employed many of the best musicians available, and a lot of his recordings are top notch. He definitely had a different sense of humor than the Dan, but some of his lyrics are thought provoking and ambiguous like Steely Dan.
 
Speaking of Steely Dad and Larry Carlton, this was my very favorite guitar solo for many years.

Larry's solo begins at 2:15.

 
Frank Zappa. Seriously.

He employed many of the best musicians available, and a lot of his recordings are top notch. He definitely had a different sense of humor than the Dan, but some of his lyrics are thought provoking and ambiguous like Steely Dan.


Naw.... I would have a hard time suggesting any Frank Zappa album to a Steely Dan newbie looking to expand. Sorry.
 
Frank Zappa & Steely Dan?
Not so farfetched.

Try this, e.g.,


Zappa's best was rhythmically & harmonically far more complex than anything the Dan (much as I love 'em) would have ever tackled. Zappa's sometimes puerile lyrics notwithstanding, he was the real deal.

Try the guitar solo in this otherwise pretty goofy piece from Apostrophe'

skip to about 2' 17" for the gee-tar, if you like.

I'd refer Zappa beginners to a 'greatest hits' collection of his called Strictly Commercial.
I started my son there, and he went on to become a mammoth fan... far eclipsing my tepid fandom/admiration for FZ.
 
Back
Top Bottom