• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stene: Sansui EC and SP-XXXJ JBL speakers.

bluesky

Lunatic Member
Hi guys,

I just ran across something about Sansui speakers and I was wondering if anyone in the Sansui community knows anything about the following Sansui/JBL collabaration speakers. I actually was aware about for a long time but just never really snapped to it until just now.

Some of the speaker models:
EC-30
EC-30 (Variants)
EC-138
EC-138 (Variant)
EC-146

Year 1973: SP-505 (88,000 yen)
Year 1973: SP-505J (88,000 yen)
Year 1973: SP-707J (176,000 yen)
Year 1979: SP-LE8T (and maybe some others in this series type)

(approx 360 yen to the US dollar)

Some of the EC Series have the blue front speaker mounting faceplates like the 'JBL 4300 series'! Very Nice!

I know the nameplate data on the EC-138 speakers states the following:
Loudspeaker Componets by JBL
EC-138
Manufactured by Sansui under the approval of JBL.

I believe Sansui built the enclosures and used all JBL componet parts: speakers, crossovers, etc.

My Questions:
1. Does anyone know any details about the collabration between JBL and Sansui for Sansui to build the enclosures and these speakers? (I know Sansui was JBLs Distrubuter for awhile)

2. Does anyone know how these speakers sounded??

I've seen them for sale on Yahoo Japan on occassion.

* Any details would be appreciated! *

Just wondering!! :thmbsp: Sansui Forever!!
 
Register to hide this ad
I know that Sansui used JBL drivers for some speaker models as well as they manufactured speaker grills to JBL. Similar as Sansui Kumiko style. A Sansui employee told me that "first we make the grill, send it to US and then get it back in a complete speaker".
 
Interesting.

I wonder how these speakers sound? With JBL speakers and electronics (crossovers) they may really sound sweet!, you know, having that JBL sound.

Thanks again for the info!! Much appreciated as always. :thmbsp:
 
good question and the one i want to know more about is the sansui sp-le8t. let me see if i can dig up a pic of that bad boy. those other models that you mentioned look kick ass.
 
I would love to hear these collaboration Sansui/JBL speakers. I bet they do sound good and they always seem to fetch good prices on Yahoo Japan. Sansui cabinets and JBL electronics and speakers, bet it is a really good sounding system.

I see them on Yahoo Japan all the time, along with all the other Sansui/JBL collaborated systems. It's just too bad Yahoo Japan won't sell internationally. Big Drag. I saw a beautiful long black Sansui table that I would of loved to purchase. It is exactly what I'm looking for, and nobody wanted it at $100! The ad ran twice and no bidders. UGH. Also saw a pair of 'reference' speaker stands just last week that went for $125, only 2 bids. I would of gave them $200 if I could of bought them. They would of been perfect for my AS-100s.
 
Sansui/JBL

Are you aware of these Sansui models
SP-505J with JBL D-123, 40W, 98dB/W
SP-707J with JBL D-130, 50W, 100db/W
Monitor 2115 (JBL 2115), 40W, 92.5dB/W
Monitor 2120 (JBL 2120), 60W, 99dB/W
Monitor 2130 (JBL 2130), 100W, 101dB/W
 
Hi Stene, I was aware of all except the Monitor 2115 (JBL 2115), 40W, 92.5dB/W and Monitor 2130 (JBL 2130), 100W, 101dB/W. Thanks for the info!

The SP-707J with JBL D-130, 50W, 100db/W look like pretty nice speakers. How do they sound?

How does the Monitor series sound?
 
Hi Stene, I was aware of all except the Monitor 2115 (JBL 2115), 40W, 92.5dB/W and Monitor 2130 (JBL 2130), 100W, 101dB/W. Thanks for the info!

The SP-707J with JBL D-130, 50W, 100db/W look like pretty nice speakers. How do they sound?

How does the Monitor series sound?
How they sound ? I don't know, I never listened to them.
 
Back
Top Bottom