• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stephens trusonic Low-boy cabinets,,Score!!

Nice find!
Would sound a lot better too.. IF ..you raised them a up off the Floor... a Lot better.
Spacers? A Couple of dairy cases even. Easy enough to experiment.
 
Nice find!
Would sound a lot better too.. IF ..you raised them a up off the Floor... a Lot better.
Spacers? A Couple of dairy cases even. Easy enough to experiment.

Yes im looking for actual legs for them,there are some on that site for a vintage JBL style but they want more than I payed for the speakers!.I cant find any old pics of this style Stephens cabinets anywhere on the web{low boy cab with legs} was hopeing a AK member has some pics of these.

AKer Sixcats supposed to have a pair but haven't heard from him yet.
On my couch im pretty low and close to the sweet spot with them tilted back.

hunter
 
Nice find!
Would sound a lot better too.. IF ..you raised them a up off the Floor... a Lot better.
Spacers? A Couple of dairy cases even. Easy enough to experiment.

had a couple old stands kickin around these will work for now till I find the appropriet legs for the cabinets.up about 10 inchs off the floor,perfect for my listening area

hunter
 
with stands...about 10 inchs off the floor,about perfect hieght
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1645.jpg
    DSCF1645.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF1646.jpg
    DSCF1646.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF1647.jpg
    DSCF1647.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 62
From the look of those, they were designed to sit directly on the floor. Not that there is anything wrong with raising them, but the style of the cabinet bottom doesn't look like they intended them to have feet.
 
From the look of those, they were designed to sit directly on the floor. Not that there is anything wrong with raising them, but the style of the cabinet bottom doesn't look like they intended them to have feet.

I like the riser design on the big University S-8 in the middle of the stephens,maybe I can find a local wood worker to build something similar for the Stephens

hunter
 
Yup.. those were designed as 'lowboys' A fashion trend .. For a while :-)
Big cones simply don't need any kind of floor coupling. It can actually mess the sounds.
Perhaps a simple perimeter spacer/ stand only an inch or so smaller than that bottom edge..made from On Edge planks say 10" / 16" high of matching colour wood could be an easy DIY...
even Plywood painted black could work.
 
Yup.. those were designed as 'lowboys' A fashion trend .. For a while :-)
Big cones simply don't need any kind of floor coupling. It can actually mess the sounds.
Perhaps a simple perimeter spacer/ stand only an inch or so smaller than that bottom edge..made from On Edge planks say 10" / 16" high of matching colour wood could be an easy DIY...
even Plywood painted black could work.

I was thinking that risers like that would work well.
 
Back in the day you HAD to have the speakers appear as much like furniture as possible, sound be damned- looks be an integral part. If they happen to sound good to then fine!

Wharffies did it as well as most..........
DC
 
Looks like a walnut finish to me. Very nice.

Im leaning toward walnut veneer as well after looking more closely and doing a light sanding on the tops,It does look rich after applying a natural penitrateing stain.The wood veneer was thirsty as well after I gave the tops another coating.
The tops and sides are almost blemish free now.
Tube amps/pre/TT got a good workout lastnight and today as I had the last 2 days off work.

hunter
 
I'm loving those! A hell of a find. You never know what's out there and will end up in your lap. The veneer looks terrific as well. Great work!

I'd love to hear a video if that's at all possible. I know it won't do them justice, but still.

Cheers!

Glenn
 
Thx for the kind words Glenn.
My buddies all say I have a horse shoe up you know where with the great finds ive had over the yrs.It does take time and you have to do your do diligence and know your audio.For me these are right up there with my HHscott LC-21/Braun L-1000/JBL 001 harkness and Fisher 50a finds,all found and bought for pennies on the dollar.Many other AKers are dam good at finding "the good stuff" and I can remember reading some of your threads on great scores.
Im not to savy on downloading video,never done it ,took me a week to learn how to download pics when I first started,too bad your so far away,my doors always open for other AKers to come have a listen.
Well Time to warm up the tubes...fri night/tunes and a few shots rum on deck....cheers

hunter

hunter
 
Beautiful Stephens, Hunter! You should have years of pleasure out of those. Are you planning on doing anything with the crossover capacitors? It is always interesting to me if people choose to recap or leave them alone if they sound good. I also like that University - I have that load, but in a ported cabinet, rather than the folded horn.

One thing though - in the original round of pictures, it looks like the holes in the baffles aren't lined up with the speakers. Is that just my eyes or what gives?
 
Beautiful Stephens, Hunter! You should have years of pleasure out of those. Are you planning on doing anything with the crossover capacitors? It is always interesting to me if people choose to recap or leave them alone if they sound good. I also like that University - I have that load, but in a ported cabinet, rather than the folded horn.

One thing though - in the original round of pictures, it looks like the holes in the baffles aren't lined up with the speakers. Is that just my eyes or what gives?

Thx tensleep,they are nice.ya I seen that in the original pic I got from the the seller,I actually thought there were tears in the surrounds on a couple of the drivers.But there all lined up in there respective holes,no cracked surrounds only flaw was the one m8 mid driver there is a small dent in the dustcover which I haven't fixed yet,And I measured the one 5kt horn and it measures open,dont know till I dig into it to see if it can be fixed.Im running a jbl horn on top of that speaker so I don't miss any highs.I will be looking for another 5KT bullet horn to replace. As far as recapping the xover I haven't looked into the box's yet but I read somewhere they used good quality paper/oil caps in these.All speakers are performing as well.I will open them up at some point and look for any leakers but im enjoying them to much at the moment.
The big University is fully working as well,always on the lookout for the second one.

hunter
 
Last edited:
Rotate those big cones? Too many decades in one orientation doesn't help the spiders.

Thx for the tip Bare.Im going to open them up this morning and have a look inside the x-over box's to inspect the capacitors and get the values for possible replacement and ill losen the drivers up and rotate,wouls you recommend doing the mids as well as the big woofers?
hunter
 
Thx for the tip Bare.Im going to open them up this morning and have a look inside the x-over box's to inspect the capacitors and get the values for possible replacement and ill losen the drivers up and rotate,wouls you recommend doing the mids as well as the big woofers?
hunter

Wouldn't hurt. Any driver with a cloth spider can sag in one direction over the years.
 
Not to mention the magnet assembly. The higher-quality drivers from the '50's and '60's all had huge, heavy magnet structures that would sometimes sag a bit after 50 years of gravity.

I don't remember if my woofers have spiders. I somehow think not, but I'll have to take a look.

*EDIT* - Nope... Figured there was a good reason why I was drawin' a blank on that… (Yup... It's called "getting old").
picture.php


By the way, even the LOOK of those drivers comes across as idealized vintage JBL.
attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom