• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stereo hum when dvd player is turned on?

Greetings everyone. I haven't posted in here for years. I'm hoping to get some help with a Denon DVD 2900 dvd player that I've had for some time. It's developed a hum. It produces the hum on the stereo only when the dvd player is turned on. It's loud enough that it's noticeable when the stereo is turned up past 11oclock. I've tried disconnecting the rca cables, no difference. I've tried connecting via a dac and digital cable, no difference. I've tried using difference iec cables to power the dvd player, no difference. I've completely disconnected the dvd player from the stereo, no difference. I've tried plugging it into another power strip(same wall, different outlet), no difference. I've opened the device up, I'm not seeing anything out of whack, but I'm a bit out of my depth with that. This has been a wonderful disc player for years, I would hate to have to replace it. Any ideas of what is causing the hum, and if it's fixable? Thanks everyone in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
Wait; you hear a hum through the stereo when the DVD player is not connected to it at all, just plugged into the AC outlet and turned on?!
Is this a high pitched hum, or 60Hz like from the phono input?
 
It is possible it may be emitting rf noise through the power cord. Check those caps or replace them. If that doesn't work, recap the power supply, using electrolytic caps rated for 105C, and high frequency.
 
Wait; you hear a hum through the stereo when the DVD player is not connected to it at all, just plugged into the AC outlet and turned on?!
Yes, that is correct. It just needs to be on the same circuit, I believe.
Is it possible that the magnetic field from mains transformer in the DVD player is being picked up by the amplifier? Have you tried moving the DVD player farther away from the amplifier?
 
I have tried moving it away from the amplifier, I can still hear it. It's really loud when i have the amplifier on the phono input and the dvd player on, or so I just learned. I didn't see a missing or disconnected ground, and sadly replacing caps may be a bit out of my depth. Also considering the tray needs a new belt, it may be time to just replace the unit. I'm using an external dac now, only have 1 sacd and I've never used it for dvds. Replacing it shouldn't break the bank. Thank you everyone for your input.
 
Back
Top Bottom