• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Still speaker hunting... A/D/S L980 and Pioneer HPM-40

TheDr

Active Member
ADS L980 - $50 for the pair, bad mid on one and missing grills.

3na3p93l65Pc5R45S8a29783a239f47851c65.jpg


Pioneer HPM-40 - $100 for the pair, seller claims they sound great but he just upgraded to a bigger pair of Pioneers. From the pick only thing I can tell is the pushed in center on teh woofer.

3k33mf3p25O85S25R7a29e1371c2fb672128d.jpg


Any suggestions? I'm still new to the vintage gear and need all the help I can get. I emailed the seller about the L980's to see if he thought the mid could be repaired or if it needed to be replaced.
 
Register to hide this ad
Forget the Pioneers [ which look used up, BTW ], buy the L980's, have Richard So repair the mid, and don't look back. No comparision. You'll be glad you did. :D

Run, run, run!!! Grab those ADS's!!!! Those ADS speaker stands are worth the price of admission alone [ saw a pair online sell for $100 ]! Plus you get those great ADS speakers!

Speakerworks.com could likely fab you new grills [ would be spendy ].
 
Thanks guys, just got a hold of him and will be swinging by today after work. If all goes well I'll have them home after that. Hopefully my fiancee won't be too upset.

Max is Richard a user on the forum or how can I get in touch with him about the repair. The seller said that if you touch one of the wires the mid will work like normal, he thought it was a bad ground but spoke with someone that does the repair and said it's something to do with the voice-coil.
 
Thanks guys, just got a hold of him and will be swinging by today after work. If all goes well I'll have them home after that. Hopefully my fiancee won't be too upset.

Max is Richard a user on the forum or how can I get in touch with him about the repair. The seller said that if you touch one of the wires the mid will work like normal, he thought it was a bad ground but spoke with someone that does the repair and said it's something to do with the voice-coil.

Sounds like one of the leads needs to be re-soldered.
 
I wouldn't buy the hpm 40's for even a third of the price; they aren't worth it. That's coming from an hpm 40 owner, BTW.
 
I have a pair of the HPM-40's in storage currently that don't get used. I've listened to them for maybe an hour total and would not hesitate to buy the ADS speakers LONG before the HPM's. Now, for a garage speaker, the HPM-40's would be quite nice....but NOT for $100. I'd be happy if I could get that for my 40's, though! I'd sell them all day long for that! :D
 
I have a pair of 980. The stands are worth the asking price. you WILL love them. ANd will start getting more ads, I bet you.
 
Well I picked them up and got them home. Hauled them up the 3 flights of stairs into my apartment and now I'm beat. Overall appearance is pretty good, a few nicks and scuffs here and there but nothing major. They sounded great, other than the one bad mid. He showed me what he was talking about with it, when you push the thin wire on the outside just right it kicks in and even stays on for a bit but then goes back out. It sounded kind of funny when it was on though so I will probably have to send it off anyway. When I get some time later tonight I'll pull it and see what I can see. Thanks for all the help guys and I'm sure I'll have a new post in the speaker forum later with some pics and what not once I get them cleaned up.
 
The HPM's ain't bad but not worth anywhere near $100 in that condition. And that's a good price on the ADS's.

Where are you in Central FL ? If you are looking for speakers I have too many and could set you up. PM me.
 
Glad you snagged them, TheDr! :thmbsp: Sounds like you might be able to repair the mid yourself if the break is on the outside. Looking forward to your impressions once they're up and running 100%.

You got the stands too, correct?
 
Back
Top Bottom