• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Storage Container for spare tone arms

craggd

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am looking for a case for storing a tone arm that I am swapping out. Considering this one: Gator GU-1309-06-WPDF Titan Series Waterproof Case with Diced Foam. Have any other suggestions or recommendations I should consider? Does the Gator option seem viable? Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
We use an individual wooden wine presentation box.

As long as you can get the sizing right, it should be more economic than a purpose-built case - and works like a charm!

images
 
We use an individual wooden wine presentation box.

As long as you can get the sizing right, it should be more economic than a purpose-built case - and works like a charm!

images
This ^^^

Mine's an old Cristal champagne box that was far too nice to throw out!
 
Appreciate the creative suggestions but looking for a more protective case. Anyone using one like this (the Gator case I listed above)?

1763839257876.png
 
I use a similar case (overseas brand) for my astronomy stuff:

fr_4933.jpg

Works great. Been protecting my sensitive stuff from the lumps and bumps of travel for years now.

I don't see why it wouldn't do an equally good job with a couple tone arms.
 
Probably a tad more protection than an egg carton! :rflmao: Mainly wanting it fall and dust proof. The cases are actually pretty reasonable.
 
If you want to spend that much on a case, why not go Mid-century and buy a used Halliburton camera case? Most of them come with foam.
 
If you want to spend that much on a case, why not go Mid-century and buy a used Halliburton camera case? Most of them come with foam.
Good idea but most have custom foam cut outs so I would need to replace the foam and with that the cost is likely greater than the Gator option. Looking more though.
 
I love the hardshell cases, Home Depot usually blows them out this time of year but not yet. Northern Tool has their 13" version for 20 bones right now. A tone arm might fit in a waterproof gun case better


1763939765768.png

A place like Cabella's would have smaller versions in a variety of sizes but you might have to find your own foam. These are great for shipping those ultra-expensive Walkmans.


1763940011555.png
 
Hi, I own many tonearms, but not all of them come in the original packaging because I bought them used or with the turntable.
For tonearms without packaging, I use wooden boxes that can hold two wine bottles or magnums, depending on the tonearm. I then cover them with expanded polyethylene (it's really soft, like velvet) and add custom-cut bulkheads that I then glue to hold the cable, counterweight, and all the accessories.
I've made many for myself and friends, and I'm preparing this one these days when I have some free time.
The size can accommodate 9" tonearms, but it also accommodates longer 12" tonearms like the Denon DA 308 or Victor UA 7082.
For the Technics EPA 100, a taller box is needed to lay the tonearm, as you can see in some boxes placed at the bottom.
All tonearms are well protected once the box is finished because the box is sturdy and durable and is made of interlocking panels.



, 1763999128231.jpeg
 
To be fall and dust proof you just need a case that closes and seals well enough to exclude dust and proper packing of the tonearm to avoid fall damage. There isn’t enough weight in a tonearm to cause much damage when dropped in if in a box properly packed. That last part is the key, separate the weights from the arm and protect the pivot and there shouldn’t be damage from the box dropping from the top shelf in the closet.

I googled the selected case and at 100 bucks, there were other brands that showed up for a third of that., without even looking. Seems your visit to the bay saved you some bucks with a box more than able to store a tonearm.
 
Back
Top Bottom