• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Storage Of Audio Gear

pioneervato

Lunatic Member
My collection has grown to a point where some of it will have to be stored. My question is this:

Is storing audio equipment such as amps, receivers, speakers, etc. in my garage or storage unit where summer temps will reach 100 degrees or more a really bad thing or is it no different than running the units where electronic components can generate their own heat at such temperatures? As for speakers, are the caps and surrounds subject to shortened life spans as well?

Any thoughts and/or experiences in this matter is welcomed.
 
Register to hide this ad
not a popular idea here, but you got way too much stuff if you have to put it in storage. it'll just rot away as all things do left to do so. use it or lose it IMO. sorry for being blunt
 
My collection has grown to a point where some of it will have to be stored.
not a popular idea here, but you got way too much stuff if you have to put it in storage. it'll just rot away as all things do left to do so.
I know it's not what you asked, but would like to second Oldhifiguy's position on this. If you can't enjoy it, share it with someone who can. These things are not only designed to be used, they benefit from it in many ways. I am currently in the middle of a sell-off whereby my ultimate objective is to cut my inventory to three (or perhaps four, at the most!) receivers, two pairs speakers, and one TT.

Just sold an SX-1010 today, and more to come (or go, as the case would be!)! :thmbsp::yes::tresbon:
 
Being in Arizona, you will probably have better results storing equipment in non-climate controlled areas then I would in the summer humidity of Florida. The heat in a typical rental storage unit can be as hot or hotter then a parked car. If my storage options were limited to that, I would consider selling the gear rather then having it deteriorate.
 
I would also consider selling. Once or twice a year I get on a CraigsList kick where I put the stuff I'm not using up for sale. I think of it as "trading up".
 
I am also of the frame of mind that if you have to store gear you probably have too much.I am selling certain items in favor of keeping four or five systems.Anymore than that is too much.Moving gear around always carries the risk of dropping or damaging it or something.You know how heavy this stuff is.
 
I don't know what is worse, storing gear in an always warm environment or storing it in an always cold or wild fluctuations between. I guess I've been lucky as most I've stored has not faired that bad. If you can box or cover the items you won't have to deal with the inevitable accumulation of dust.
 
If it is cold then gets warm, moisture will develop.......Bad.

I too sold some stuff today. Gotta do it. Like was stated earlier, "use it or lose it".

Rob
 
Evening "Brainiac" stuwee say thanks for the washcloth:D I have a big house with A/C and 2 huge storage units my take is, if I even think of storing it out side. Something has to go. I'm in the middle of a clearing out the closets,magazines and stuff I've been cartin' around the many moves around the US. there all going away to new homes. Then I can get some more bargins. I'll save some room for your Spec gear if you want:D
Craig
 
what to let go? everything not working. everything you have "plans" for. that'll be about 50%. the rest just start hacking. once you've decided, don't look back. keep the "good" stuff. JMO
 
It's always difficult to let go....I'm selling stuff now and trying to convince my wife to so as well (she has a closet full of gear, no really).
 
Either sell it or store it. If you decide to store it be prepared for something that may not work the next time you try it out. I have had more components not work by not using them than ones that stopped working while using them. :scratch2:

Remember it is only equipment so if you really like it and dont want to part with it then store it and don't worry about it. Maybe try a self serve temperature controlled storage company. Although by the time you pay for the storage you probably would be better off selling a few things.

I myself have way too much equipment also, but not enough that I can't store it all inside my home. If it ever got to that level then I would have to part with something.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
 
IN another thread some one asked "when does collecting become hording"

I think you may have found your answer.

A vote here for selling. I've sold off most of my non used gear and music I have a long ways to go before I have the floor space back I have lost in my shop and office (not just audio gear in fact mostly other stuff I have collected up)
 
this is a subject that i too currently am pondering. my domestic situation that it is has made that i had to put my gear in storage in a friends shop for safe keeping and all the while i worried over the temperature changes, dust, dampness etc.

I am now in a new place and have my main rig setup and running again but still have the secondary rig out in my garage unit as i have NO room right now. I don't want to dispose of the blue floroscan 2nd unit but for now, i just hope living in the garage won't be to harsh on it.
 
Much of this gear was sitting unused for years in some garage or basement before being recovered at a GW or on ebay. I think most gear that has survived this long can last a lot longer which is a testament to their original build quality.
 
2chanman

I have literally a ton of vintage audio gear, some of which has been storage in attic or basement for 20 years. About the only problem that crops up when such a piece of gear is returned to service is that the controls get noisy and the analog tuning capacitor rotor ground wipers get "scratchy". This is easily remedied when it is encountered. Still, I should get rid of most of it so my kids won't be faced with the problem of what to do with it when I croak.
Easier said than done.
 
Unless I can do some rearranging or buy my own "mancave" I may have to finally let some stuff go. My wife has been squeezing me kinda hard to get rid of my "junk" (interesting how my things are junk to her) and limit my audio gear to one setup, that's it. Well the hell with that! Sure, I probably need to thin down the heard but to go to one set up would be extremely tough. I already know I will be keeping the Spec gear, the 1250, and the D7000 so going to one setup is out of the question.
Maybe buying my own "mancave" would allow me to pursue my hobbies without having the WAF figure into this. I am into wood working as one of my other passions and we can barely fit the cars in with what I have in power equipment and I would like to expand to include some other needed equipment but I have no place to put it.
Anybody else in a similar situation or am I alone on this?
 
I never store items with belts like tape decks, cassette decks and turntables in the hot attic. This also goes for vinyl, tapes and CDs as well as speakers with foam surrounds. I store them in closets in the house or in my shop. I do not think the attic heat hurts amps or receivers, or tuners. We do not have basements here in the coastal south but humidity and mold is a problem in non air conditioned storage.

Charlie
 
Unless I can do some rearranging or buy my own "mancave" I may have to finally let some stuff go. My wife has been squeezing me kinda hard to get rid of my "junk" (interesting how my things are junk to her) and limit my audio gear to one setup, that's it. Well the hell with that! Sure, I probably need to thin down the heard but to go to one set up would be extremely tough. I already know I will be keeping the Spec gear, the 1250, and the D7000 so going to one setup is out of the question.
Maybe buying my own "mancave" would allow me to pursue my hobbies without having the WAF figure into this. I am into wood working as one of my other passions and we can barely fit the cars in with what I have in power equipment and I would like to expand to include some other needed equipment but I have no place to put it.
Anybody else in a similar situation or am I alone on this?

Hey ya pioneervato, I'm not married but, from a third party observer, unless you buy the house next door. Even the most trusting mate can get the "Greens" (jealous) "What is he doing there till 3am?" Ect...WAF turns into something entirely different and possibly harmfull. In a perfect world....
I don't envy you the culling. I'm doing it with non-audio stuff. alot of it dear to me but, it's gotta go, so I know I'll feel better later. Great idea in theory:yes:
Craig
 
Back
Top Bottom