• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Strange hobbies

RamblinE

(╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻
Tonight I'm hoping to go out and buy a backup cellphone. I have the phenomenal Google Nexus 5. I handed down my equally phenomenal for its time of release Google Nexus 4 to my mother. With phones being so fragile these days and cellphone theft on the rise it makes perfect sense to have a backup available in case something happens.

That being said I'm hoping to buy a Google Nexus S tonight. A phone that came out in 2010 debuting Android 2.3 Gingerbread for the first time. In 2010 this phone combined a brand new version of Android with what was cutting edge specifications to be one if the best phones of the year. Its also unlocked for any carrier's Sim cards and has an unlocked boot loader straight out of the box. Reports are that the Nexus S runs the latest version of Android, 4.4 with ease.

I'm not just trying to buy a backup phone. I'm trying to buy a toy and a minor, very minor, piece of history.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a small drawer full of digital cameras that I bought and used, which are now utterly obsolete. I still dig them out from time to time and take photos with them.

I have been recently tempted to buy one of the cheap e-readers now littering the market, which apparently ran primitive versions of Android, and which can be rooted and be made to behave like a monochrome tablet of sorts. For a few bucks, it seems kind of like fun.
 
I had a Nook WiFi for ages. Loved the monochrome screen and no back light. When the WiFi died I regrettably replaced it with a much more useful but quite obsolete 2012 Nexus 7. Its not the same though ;_;

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
I have a small drawer full of digital cameras that I bought and used, which are now utterly obsolete. I still dig them out from time to time and take photos with them.

Very sensible Wigwam. I keep an 11 year old but still pristine Minolta F100 in the glovebox of my car "just in case". The camera in my phone blows it away but at least I know it is there.


J.R.
 
I restrain my collecting of old tech to really really old tech. I have tubed AM radios :). Next best thing I can do is my 7 year old laptop, which I believe was Lenovo's first laptop pre-loaded with Windows Vista. It still rocks the Vista install too, I'm using it right now. Maybe its the only non-troublesome Vista install in existence. I do need to consider replacing it but currently it does everything I require of it, so I can't quite justify spending the money to replace it.
 
Very sensible Wigwam. I keep an 11 year old but still pristine Minolta F100 in the glovebox of my car "just in case". The camera in my phone blows it away but at least I know it is there.


J.R.

I actually just keep them around because I kind of like them, even after all this time. The Minolta F100 was an excellent camera in its day. I didn't have one, but recommended one to a friend and he was quite pleased with it for years.
 
Just as I thought. This little phone is running a CyanogenMod build of Android 4.4 and its running it rather well. This thing is positively slick. I don't think I would feel as if I were slumming it if I had to use this phone because my Nexus 5 is stolen or damaged. :)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
 
a6evypuq.jpg


ezyzy2a4.jpg


Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
 
I am not much of a tech guy...I have a 5 yr old phone that still works so I just keep on using it. My "strange" hobby is Bonsai. I did a report on them back in 9th grade and got real interested in them. I have raise and given away over 300 trees. My ex thought it would be a good idea to Round-Up my oldest and most prized ones before we split. I am in a lull with them right now but plan on starting up again soon. They would not have survived the trip to Louisiana.
 
Back
Top Bottom