• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Strange issue with tweeters on advent loudspeakers

upload_2020-4-9_15-35-45.jpeg

Alright. Got the woofer out @Airjmax. Seems the crack does go all the way through...

Besides that, I suppose I put the caulk right where my screwdriver is pointing, and line the entire cutout?
upload_2020-4-9_15-37-30.jpeg
 
Yes, right up to the edge of the cutout. Cover the screw holes, and stick a toothpick in them to help with alignment. Are you going to brace behind the cracks first?
upload_2020-4-9_16-48-34.jpeg

Yep. Started that just now. Should I also lay down some of the caulk on the tweeters? I noticed some when I removed them, though they had eroded away due to age.
 
View attachment 1824307

Yep. Started that just now. Should I also lay down some of the caulk on the tweeters? I noticed some when I removed them, though they had eroded away due to age.
Honestly, I never pulled Advent tweeters, because all the ones I had weren’t problematic. I suppose if the seal has been compromised, you should add some caulk.
 
Honestly, I never pulled Advent tweeters, because all the ones I had weren’t problematic. I suppose if the seal has been compromised, you should add some caulk.
I'll start by resealing the cabinet that seems to be okay. Should I lay a thin bead of glue on the outside where the crack is exposed, or do you think it will be okay
 
I'll start by resealing the cabinet that seems to be okay. Should I lay a thin bead of glue on the outside where the crack is exposed, or do you think it will be okay
The bracing might tighten up the crack, but some clear glue on the front side might be best.
 
The bracing might tighten up the crack, but some clear glue on the front side might be best.
I placed some glue over the outer crack and it seemed to of repaired nicely. I think the resealing is a success as the speaker will 'bounce' back slowly.
 
Yes, the true test of whether or not an enclosure is sealed well is the woofer test. There should be considerable resistance to your pushing it in and the cone should return to rest fairly slowly. That indicates it is working against the trapped air in the cabinet, as it should.

And yes, the tweeter needs to be sealed, as well. Originally Advent used the same sealer as on the woofers but changed to a white foam-type gasket in short order. The New Advent tweeters probably have a thin black gasket behind the flange as on the woofers. These are often discarded and substituted with something else during "restorations".

Doug
 
Seems the buzz is still there...I ran a 30Hz test just to confirm and I can hear it bleeding into the tweeters...Strange thing is it's on both speakers. I tested it with my phone, along with my computer and on multiple receivers, all had the same issue.

Are advent loudspeakers typically good at handling low frequencies?
 
Seems odd. I've never run a test tone that low through a finished Advent but I would think the tweeter would be incapable of producing that tone. How much volume are you running these tests at?
 
I was just wondering if you were hearing resonances from the woofer through the cabinet. Have you tried playing them with the woofer disconnected? (make sure the lines don't cross)
 
Just went down and played a 30Hz signal through my OLAs. I put the volume up to about 10dB above the 14dB back ground reading (measured about a meter from the woofer). There was a slight hum, hiss, buzz, what ever one wants to call it, from the tweeter. It was not the 30Hz signal, it was just the noise from the system and I needed to get closer than a foot to hear it. Could this be what you're hearing?
 
If the crossovers are good, those low frequencies will never make it to the tweeters. In fact, nothing below a little lower than 1500 Hz should get through to the tweeters in a New Advent. I agree, the thing to do is disconnect the woofers and see what happens.

I used to get a kick out of turning up a 30 Hz tone from all 8 of my Advents in my quadraphonic stacked Advent system in my apartment and listen to the drywall vibrate against the studs in the walls. No extraneous noises from the speakers, though. Advents are famous for their low frequency handling prowess.

Doug
 
Back
Top Bottom