• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Streaming From a Laptop vs a Streamer...

SWL3600

Super Member
I've been streaming from a laptop for years now. Streaming from a dedicated streamer is supposed to have it's benefits.....

......Those of you that made the transition streaming from a laptop/computer to a dedicated streamer, what did you notice? Better sound quality (which is my intent)? Better anything?

About to pull the trigger on a Bluesound Node 2i. Anybody wanna talk me out of it?

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
When I was using a netbook as a player I noticed that using a USB DAC had better sound quality than the computer's internal DAC when using the headphone out. For what it's worth the netbook used Linux Mint for its OS.

I am pretty sure that dedicated streamers are computers in a fancy box. What you are really paying for is ease of setup and a single box solution (if the streamer's internal DAC is any good).

I have been using Raspberry Pis with USB DACS for years and have been very happy.

There are many happy owners of the Node 2i on this site.
 
Last edited:
I should've mentioned that I do use a DAC.

Laptop-->USB-->Topping D10 USB-SPDIF converter-->DEQ2496-->Schiit Modius DAC-->Amp

The sq is great. Better than my cd player. I'm not dissatisfied with this setup......just curious if streaming with a dedicated streamer is really necessary.
 
I should've mentioned that I do use a DAC.

Laptop-->USB-->Topping D10 USB-SPDIF converter-->DEQ2496-->Schiit Modius DAC-->Amp

The sq is great. Better than my cd player. I'm not dissatisfied with this setup......just curious if streaming with a dedicated streamer is really necessary.
I doubt you will hear an improvement.

Why not go from the laptop's USB directly to the Modius' USB input? The Modius has Schiit's proprietary Unison USB interface.
 
I doubt you will hear an improvement.

Why not go from the laptop's USB directly to the Modius' USB input? The Modius has Schiit's proprietary Unison USB interface.

I've yet to try that....thanks for the reminder.....but up til now, EQ in the digital domain has been a must. It really improves my system.
 
What is recommended software on your laptop to do streaming? I agree streamer is a computer so laptop should work as well. Need to know how to configure laptop.

Windows Laptop connected to internet. External DAC connected to amp.
 
That's my gut feeling. In a couple of different threads I've yet to hear somebody say that it was worthwhile in terms of sound quality.
My recommendation to all is to try streaming both ways so that you can make a truly educated decision. As with all sources, the overall sound quality will also be system dependent.
 
I'm listening to my Playlist #4 with Spotify Premium now through my Bose SoundLink Color Bluetooth speaker's analog input while playing on my lap top. This little speaker quite good, especially when using the EQ on the laptop. If I where using it for more serious duty, I'd use a decent external DAC to connect to a stereo amp or older AVR that has no streamer. But even with the cheap DAC in this 8 year old basic HP laptop It's not bad, Sometimes quite good even.

That said, I really love the convince of using my phone to control my streaming. A $200 Audioengine B-fi streamer, or other unit of comparable quality IMO is a no brainer for entry level streaming. The convience alone is worth every penny and more.

In my bedroom I stream Spotify over Bluetooth with my phone to my Logitech Logi receiver to feed a vintage stereo. Sounds good there too. In my living room I stream Spotify through my recent entry level Network Yamaha AVR where it does a fine job. In my music room I use a dedicated Cambridge streamer/Digital Pre-amp with my "Good" system. Here it is worth every cent too. So for me streamers have their place.
 
Last edited:
Wow, cool to see this old thread pop up. Not long after I posted this question, I did put a Bluesound Node 2i into my system and it has been rock solid ever since.

The sound quality was/is definitely better than through the Windows laptop I was using prior. The whole Bluesound Node experience using an external DAC has been great. I stream Spotify and Tidal. Once in a blue moon I'll spin some cd's but it's rare.
 
When you were streaming from a PC what were you using for a DAC? Were you using ASIO or WASAPI?

I stream from a Windows laptop using a USB DAC and WASAPI. I have several DAC's. Even the cheapest of them sounds a lot better than the internal DAC's on any of my laptops or desktops.
The same DAC was used for both....Schiit Modius. Yes, every DAC I've used has sounded better than the laptop's internal DAC.
I fiddled with the laptop settings and normally used WASAPI.
 
For those who use a Windows PC take note that many player applications and Windows automatically install with up and/or oversampling as the default. IME Creative Labs devices automatically re-sample everything to 48KHz. Some say this results in better sound. I prefer to listen to my files at whatever sampling rate they originally have.

This applies to dsd/dsf files which applications convert to PCM if the DAC does not directly support dsd/dsf files. I realize this sounds like a sales promo for a DAC that natively handles dsd/dsf files. However, IME there is an audible difference.
 
I streamed from a laptop or tablet for a long time but bought a Wiim Pro two or three months ago now. The Wiim Pro is fabulous and streams Amazon Music HD with zero hassles or glitches. It's tucked into the cabinet next to my integrated amp such that I cannot even see the thing. No updates, no reminders to restart, no media player settings or other laptop-esque complications. I wish I had gone to it long ago. I find it much better than streaming from a laptop.
 
I found a decent DDC really helps when installed in between the PC/Mac and streamer. I have heard that this one from Douk Audio is quite a deal, their U2 Pro XMOS XU208 DDC is quite a little performer for the money, around $65 on Amazon.
 
I started my streaming journey using a MacBook Pro running Audirvana into the built-in DAC on an Anthem STR integrated amp. Jumping down the upgrade rabbit hole I decided to try out a BlueSound Node as my streaming source, I really didn’t notice any difference in SQ so back it went. Still suffering from upgrade fever I inserted a Bel Canto e.One Stream into the mix, now we’re on to something, marked improvement in SQ. Still wanting more, I replaced the built-in DAC with a W4S unit and that’s where I’m staying, a very non-digital sounding streaming experience. Streamers make a difference, DAC’s make a difference.
 
Back
Top Bottom