• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stupid question of the day

Pedestrian

New Member
I'm looking at CL and found a Nikko NR-819 receiver/ I can buy it for around $120.

Everything works and it's in very nice condition. However, the left speaker is about 10-15% lower volume than the right on the "A" and 30-40% lower of the "B" side.

I called a repair shop and they said they charge $200 to look at it, and it would go up from there depending on what was wrong. Not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole.

My stupid question is, couldn't I just adjust the balance knob to even the sound up and adjust the volume as needed?

Second question, (maybe not as stupid as the first) I'm going to use this receiver to power a pair of Infinity Qb's I bought new back in 1978. How much power do I actually need to properly run these? I used a 35 wpc Concept 3.5 until I gave it to GW last year (I'm still kicking myself). I'll mostly be playing at lower volume. BTW, the Nikko is 45watts

Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
Second question, (maybe not as stupid as the first) I'm going to use this receiver to power a pair of Infinity Qb's I bought new back in 1978. How much power do I actually need to properly run these? I used a 35 wpc Concept 3.5 until I gave it to GW last year (I'm still kicking myself). I'll mostly be playing at lower volume.
The Qb's are about 89dB so at lower volume, any amplifier or receiver with 35 watts or more is all you need
 
Thanks malden! So, you think there isn't any real benefit to going up in watts from 35? Because I can get a nice Nikko 719 which is 35 watts for about the same money and everything works as it should.
 
Thanks malden! So, you think there isn't any real benefit to going up in watts from 35? Because I can get a nice Nikko 719 which is 35 watts for about the same money and everything works as it should.
35wpc should work fine.
 
Thanks malden! So, you think there isn't any real benefit to going up in watts from 35? Because I can get a nice Nikko 719 which is 35 watts for about the same money and everything works as it should.
My Dynaco ST 70 is 35 watts per channel, it drives a pair of JBL's that are rated at 89 dB and when I want to, I can rock the house.
 
Food for thought , if it's 120, and has a known issue, 200 for a bench fee ( some shops with drop that or a portion if repair is done and it exceeds that amount ( which doesn't appear to be the case here). You'd be at a minimum of 320. I'd look elsewhere ( i realize you already got a satisfactory answer , just mentioning for the future.
 
Mugh appreciated
Food for thought , if it's 120, and has a known issue, 200 for a bench fee ( some shops with drop that or a portion if repair is done and it exceeds that amount ( which doesn't appear to be the case here). You'd be at a minimum of 320. I'd look elsewhere ( i realize you already got a satisfactory answer , just mentioning for the future.
 
I had a NR-719. It sounded better than average other vintages. The phono section was better than my Marantz 2250B.

As mentioned, I'd completely DeoxIT. Something I do whenever I get new used gear. I Would not pay $200 to have it look at.

Nikko_NR-719-2sm.jpg
 
Thanks onepixel. Actually, the 719 has no issues with the exception of one tuner display light out. It's the 819 that has a problem with output. I think I'll just go ahead and buy the 719.

Thanks to all!
 
Back
Top Bottom