• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stylus & Cartidges

MichaelW

New Member
I've got a Thorens TD 145 in great condition, but I'm having trouble understanding the "pickup".

The part numbers are "Shure V15 TypeIII"

Is that a moving magnet (MM) or a moving coil (MC) pickup? I believe the stylus is a separate item, and obsolete.

I've been suggested a Sumiko Black Pearl which is a moving coil pickup, and been told the Shure is a Moving magnet type pickup.

Are the just so easily swappable? Can any one confirm the Shure is a MM type?

Michael.
 

Attachments

  • 20080123741.jpg
    20080123741.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 19
Register to hide this ad
I new at this also,and also have a 145 European version ,I have read you can get a replacement stylus, just not a Shure, but it will be just as good. check out: JICO
 
I've got a Thorens TD 145 in great condition, but I'm having trouble understanding the "pickup".

The part numbers are "Shure V15 TypeIII"

Is that a moving magnet (MM) or a moving coil (MC) pickup? I believe the stylus is a separate item, and obsolete.

I've been suggested a Sumiko Black Pearl which is a moving coil pickup, and been told the Shure is a Moving magnet type pickup.

Are the just so easily swappable? Can any one confirm the Shure is a MM type?

Michael.

Yes Michael, the Shure V-15 is a MM Cartridge. While Shure no longer sells-carries a replacement Stylus, folks like LP Gear carry a couple of good ones, thier best being the Jico SAS at about $100. A killer buy, and uses a Sleeved Boron Cantilever as well as a state of the art Stylus.

If your equipment uses a vintage Phono Stage (Reciever-Integrated Amp-etc) you might be better served sticking with the V-15, rather than going with a cheap High Output MC, that will generally have an output of around 2.2mv-2.5mv. I believe the Shure's output is 4.5mv, or 5mv.

The Shure is still a great Cartridge, even today. With a good Stylus like the Jico SAS, and proper set-up of Tonearm, you should get really great sound. Mark
 
But the Thorens headshell requires special M2 hardware to mount cartridges. There are readily available, bu t don't generally come with a cartridge. They use other sizes and thread patterned mounting hardware.
 
Back
Top Bottom