• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stylus/Cartridge question

moJo787

New Member
I have a Pioneer PL-15D II turntable with a Shure M55E cartridge and Shure N-75 stylus. I bought used and have been playing it steady for about 2 years now so it is time to replace the stylus.

I was doing a little bit of research and the M55E cartridge and N-75 C stylus have had mixed reviews, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a cartridge/stylus combo that could improve the sound quality of my system (or if I'm best to stick with what I have). I'm not sure if it helps with a recommendation, but I listen to most genres (hip hop, alternative, rock, classic rock, punk).

Here is the complete listening setup I have:
Turntable: Pioneer PL-15D II
Amp: Pioneer SX-780
Speakers: Dynaco A-25
Cartridge: Shure M55E
Stylus: Shure N-75 C

Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have a Pioneer PL-15D II turntable with a Shure M55E cartridge and Shure N-75 stylus. I bought used and have been playing it steady for about 2 years now so it is time to replace the stylus.

I was doing a little bit of research and the M55E cartridge and N-75 C stylus have had mixed reviews, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a cartridge/stylus combo that could improve the sound quality of my system (or if I'm best to stick with what I have). I'm not sure if it helps with a recommendation, but I listen to most genres (hip hop, alternative, rock, classic rock, punk).

Here is the complete listening setup I have:
Turntable: Pioneer PL-15D II
Amp: Pioneer SX-780
Speakers: Dynaco A-25
Cartridge: Shure M55E
Stylus: Shure N-75 C

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

The Shure M55E should be using the Shure N55E Biradial (0.2 x 0.7 mils) stylus and not the Shure N75C stylus though they may fit.

Your can get after market replacement stylus to fit the Shure M55E cartridge.

Elliptical
https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHSM0055E.html

VividLine
https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHN055VLIMPL.html :thumbsup:

Enjoy! :music:
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

The Shure M55E should be using the Shure N55E Biradial (0.2 x 0.7 mils) stylus and not the Shure N75C stylus though they may fit.

Your can get after market replacement stylus to fit the Shure M55E cartridge.

Elliptical
https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHSM0055E.html

VividLine
https://www.lpgear.com/product/SHSM0055E.html :thumbsup:

Enjoy! :music:


Thanks for the reply. That makes a lot of sense since the N75C looks like it "fits" but it definitely looks a little off.

Would you recommend staying with the M55E cartridge and N55E stylus or is there something I should be upgrading to for a better sound?
 
Thanks for the reply. That makes a lot of sense since the N75C looks like it "fits" but it definitely looks a little off.

Would you recommend staying with the M55E cartridge and N55E stylus or is there something I should be upgrading to for a better sound?

You may want to stay with the Shure M55E cartridge and get a better stylus like the VividLine for it.

Enjoy it for the next while, it may cost a fair bit to surpass that combination.

You may want to try something else later on, but his will give you the time to decide which direction you would want to go. :)
 
You might want to consider moving to a better performing turntable. As nice as the Pioneer is, it's noise (rumble) performance is pretty much entry level at -47 dB. Your receiver has a phone Signal to Noise ratio of 76 dB. This suggests (not a guarantee mind you) that the rumble coming from the turntable is perhaps as much as 20 to 30 dB above the noise floor of the receiver's phono noise floor, i.e. audible in quiet passages. Though that receiver is not a super powered receiver, it is quiet with low distortion and a better turntable is fully justified. (Back in the day, it was not at all difficult to get the amps nice and quiet with low distortion, turntables took more physical engineering to do the same.) A quiet turntable need not cost a fortune, look at the Pioneer PL-7 on the auction site. It is a good 30 dB quieter then the PL-15D and will match the low noise of your receiver very nicely.

Just food for thought in the future.

Shelly_D
 
You may want to stay with the Shure M55E cartridge and get a better stylus like the VividLine for it.

Enjoy it for the next while, it may cost a fair bit to surpass that combination.

You may want to try something else later on, but his will give you the time to decide which direction you would want to go. :)

Ok that's good to know. I think I will look into the VividLine and stick with the M55E. Thanks!
 
You might want to consider moving to a better performing turntable. As nice as the Pioneer is, it's noise (rumble) performance is pretty much entry level at -47 dB. Your receiver has a phone Signal to Noise ratio of 76 dB. This suggests (not a guarantee mind you) that the rumble coming from the turntable is perhaps as much as 20 to 30 dB above the noise floor of the receiver's phono noise floor, i.e. audible in quiet passages. Though that receiver is not a super powered receiver, it is quiet with low distortion and a better turntable is fully justified. (Back in the day, it was not at all difficult to get the amps nice and quiet with low distortion, turntables took more physical engineering to do the same.) A quiet turntable need not cost a fortune, look at the Pioneer PL-7 on the auction site. It is a good 30 dB quieter then the PL-15D and will match the low noise of your receiver very nicely.

Just food for thought in the future.

Shelly_D

I really like this turntable but I have been keeping my eyes open for replacements. It has a few minor issues that I'm hoping I can fix but may not be able to (the turntable starts slow sometimes and takes a minute or two to get up to normal speed).
Thanks for the suggestion of the PL-7. I'll take a look and see what's available.
 
Ok that's good to know. I think I will look into the VividLine and stick with the M55E. Thanks!

One of the great old Classic Cartridges that gets a new lease on life and shine with a great new needle. The M44-5 was my first cartridge back in 1969. My brother had a Sansui SR 4040 that came with a MC cartridge with the transformer built in. I got the M44-5 so that I could play my records and not wear out his irreplaceable needle. I want to get another M44 or M55 because the one from 1969 is long gone.
 
Back
Top Bottom