• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stylus for Pickering Cartridge?.

Tgranger

New Member
Hello everyone.. I’m looking to purchase a new Stylus for a cartridge that I have. I’ve been doing some searching but haven’t been able to find an answer, I’m hoping you all could help..

I recently purchased a Marantz 6100 turntable and in the add it said - Comes with Pickering Micro Phase IV V15 Cartridge. I’d like to purchase a new stylus for it but have no idea what to purchase or where from. Im guessing its an old cartridge from the 70’s. There are no makings on the cartridge other than the name, the stylus says D AT 3. Can someone point me in the right direction, recommend the correct stylus and what i will need. Your help is much appreciated.. Here’s a couple pictures of the cartridge and stylus.. Thanks everyone.
B20DC487-E98F-4364-AB08-1FD52217E75B.jpeg 86727357-F766-420E-805C-CFF4B496E407.jpeg 021C75CA-F561-4D7B-BB2D-C1E39B942C45.jpeg
 
Register to hide this ad
Probably going to be tough to find OEM. If you are ok with an aftermarket stylus I would check with Gary at The Voice of Music. He is a dependable / quality seller. No affiliation other than a satisfied customer. By the way, he actually takes phone calls, responds to emails, and will give advice on the proper styli.

https://thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=604
 
Last edited:
This is very interesting. I had no idea I have the wrong one. Here’s an overhead picture. Maybe this makes some sense to some of you in the way it fits the cartridge. Thanks for the help so far, much appreciated.
8F2326BB-CAA9-4EBC-89E9-94FA853D8CBD.jpeg
 
I think many of the Stanton carts will fit too, which could open up more options. I added an EVG Swiss nude PM4023DE/D71EE on my Pickering P/ATE1 cart and it worked nicely.

D71EE.jpg
 
Thank you @jbjsr and @empirelvr for the advice and links.. I reached out to Gary and he replied so fast. He confirmed that the Stylus was not the correct one for cartridge. He recommended either a 607-D7T, 606 or 4606 DET. Still not sure which I should order, any thoughts?

I will have to look into Stanton, ty @knotscott but I’m still trying to wrap my head around this first lol.
 
Any stylus for the Pickering XV15 will fit perfectly and sound great on the System Series/System IV/Phase IV.

The Phase IV is an earlier version of the XV15. It’s a 2-coil MI cart; the XV15 is a 4-coil MI cart.

55677806-EB36-4F2F-B13F-515BE32E66E1.jpeg



Below, with original Pickering DSE-1 stylus. Equivalent to the XV15 D400 stylus:
BB37C93E-883E-4894-88B4-2F6E39162F3C.jpeg



Below with the Swiss nude elliptical (BD) XV15 400 stylus:
9B9B0850-7B95-4002-A4D9-7306CA5355CA.jpeg


Below with a Walco D400 equivalent stylus for the Phase IV:
C96CBDCB-1BCC-4A4E-BFD1-FD50E4C7B936.jpeg


Below, with the BD XV15 1200E stylus:
78E257C6-79ED-4716-B218-17EE671758E5.jpeg
 
Back
Top Bottom