• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stylus or tone arm issue???

Ross Bolen

New Member
Recently picked up a pioneer PL-750 as a back-up/2nd room table. Got it home and a quick play test sounded fine. Anti skate was at 0. I decided to check the tracking force before playing anything valuable. It was just over 10g!

so, I rebalanced the tonearm. It has the original pioneer cartridge that probably came with it with a suggested tracking force between 1.7 - 2.3. I reset it to 2 and at any “acceptable” force either the auto return wants to engage or the tonearm wants to drift back toward the armrest. I set the tracking force high enough to keep it from wanting to drift, and sure enough there was terrible distortion. As an experiment I kept adding weight until I actually got it to sound really good. But when I checked it my gauge read a tracking force of 44 g! At any reasonable force, the arm drifts slightly and the readings fluctuate like crazy. The slightest movement of the weight would jump from something like 1.6 to 4.5. Tested the gauge against my other table and it still reads right where I set it.

I’m guessing the stylus is very worn, but I’m looking to see if there is another potential tonearm issue before replacing cartridge.

The table also doesn’t seem to like any anti skate. At 0 it will track at a ridiculous TF. Almost any addition of anti skate makes the arm want to drift back out.
 
Register to hide this ad
It sounds like the bearings in the arm are shot, or possibly you have wires impeding proper movement of the arm.

Try to float the arm level and blow on it or very gently tap it and see if moves side to side or up and down readily.

Also, are you sure there is even any tip on that stylus? 44 grams is outrageous. Don't do that again.
 
Last edited:
The cart on that unit is probably one of the PCxMC series (PC3MC, PC4MC, etc) - finding one with a stylus in good shape is rare these days. Additionally that tonearm is really low mass and if the counterweight is slipping even slightly (not all that common but can happen) then that will screw things up. Montycat's point about bad bearings in the arm is also a distinct possibility.

44 grams vtf is super-double-plus ridiculous.

.
 
Back
Top Bottom