• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stylus replacement on vintage Empire Cart: Is it worth doing?

YoSeth

New Member
Ok so I have an old Pioneer PL-A45D that currently has a Sumiko Oyster cartridge. When I first pulled the turntable out of storage a few years ago, it had an Empire 2000 EIII but the cantilever was broken off. From what I understand, the Empire is/was a good cartridge and I see a few replacement stylus/cantilevers available for it.

It is worth it to put on a new cantilever? Is this replacement https://www.lpgear.com/product/EMPS2000EIII.html appropriate? How would it compare to the Oyster I currently use?
 
Register to hide this ad
Just be careful to do not confuce with x/ze ez/x eIII eIIIz, clones, replacement, original, and aftermarket.
Andre.
 
Yoseth, try one of the 2000E/III styli from Turntableneedles.com (get the clear stylus) It works very well in my 2000E/III body in my Pioneer Series 20 PLC590/PA1000 combo, but mine is a Japanese made one with the black dot on the cantilever. There is some rebranding going on at Turntableneedles.com

The other option is to contact Gary at The Voice of Music and see if he still has the Japanese made clear body EVG stylus in stock. EVG doesn't seem to be getting any more Japanese styli according to reports on this forum. Go here:
https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=237&SearchType=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Audio+Empire+&+Empire&Categories=

Empire originals are almost non-existent and Russell Industries owns the Empire name rights and has put out Japanese made copies as originals with EMPIRE stamped on the stylus guard. While most of those are decent to very good, its not worth paying extra for the EMPIRE stylus guard on the same Japanese made replacement stylus.
 
Last edited:
Yoseth, try one of the 2000E/III styli from Turntableneedles.com (get the clear stylus) It works very well in my 2000E/III body in my Pioneer Series 20 PLC590/PA1000 combo, but mine is a Japanese made one with the black dot on the cantilever. There is some rebranding going on at Turntableneedles.com

The other option is to contact Gary at The Voice of Music and see if he still has the Japanese made clear body EVG stylus in stock. EVG doesn't seem to be getting any more Japanese styli according to reports on this forum. Go here:
https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=237&SearchType=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Audio+Empire+&+Empire&Categories=

Empire originals are almost non-existent and Russell Industries owns the Empire name rights and has put out Japanese made copies as originals with EMPIRE stamped on the stylus guard. While most of those are decent to very good, its not worth paying extra for the EMPIRE stylus guard on the same Japanese made replacement stylus.


I got the 4237-DET EVG from VOM and it sounds great on my 2000e/III

nashou
 
im going through all the stylus trials now. I have a 2000X, 999SE/X, 880P, 1000SE/X and EDR-9.

My experience with LP Gear and LP Tunes has been an OVERPRICED disaster! I bought the $100 “Empire” S2000X/S917E Stylus and their $36 LP Gear E917E stylus for my 2000X. Both sound about the same, and have the same problems. The LP Gear Stylus fits loose and resonates badly on horn music and piano. Tracks best at 1.75 grams. Huge disappointment! The $100 Empire is a complete waste of money!

I just got the Turntable Needles Stylus in TODAY for that same 2000X. $26 for the 239-DEC, compatible with the 2000X and 1000SE/X. Night and day difference from the LP Gear garbage! It’s very clear, tracks at 1.25 grams, tracks piano and horns with crystal clear impact, no resonance whatsoever! Bass is low and tight, treble is extended, clear and effortless.Very nice mids and imaging! I really do enjoy the Empire cartridge!

I have found the same thing, same results, for my Shure M97HE, V15 Type IV. Same for ADC carts.

Fact is, the styli I have from Voice of Music for the Shure carts (EVG Japan) are IDENTICAL to the Japan-made Bliss styli I bought for the M97HE and V15 Type IV from Turntable Needles! Down to the last detail.

So yes, it’s worth getting a stylus for that Empire, and go with Voice of Music EVG Japan, or Turntable Needles. Stay clear of the over priced LP Gear/LP Tunes stuff.

My 2 cents’ worth.
 
FWIW - I have to agree that LP Gear and the sister sites are usually overpriced compared to other sellers. I have bought from them in the past but only as a last resort.
 
I have my EDR-9 and NOS S5000 stylus. I’m going to compare the original performance to TTN’s replacement offerings, which I also have. Should be fun!

But, once and for all, I’ll be comparing the EDR-9 to my NOS ADC XLM carts/styli.
 
Give or take, I paid about thirty-five for a 2000/III Tonar branded stylus. In my case it was out of curiosity because I dismissed Empire cartridges decades ago yet happened to have a body only kicking around since about 1980.

I wanted to hear what a "gold blob" sounded like without dropping a lot on a needle.

It turned out to be quite an acceptable sounding cartridge and it has a distinctive look.

Finances don't allow me much indulgence but having this functional Empire for comparatively little was a worthwhile investment.
 
Give or take, I paid about thirty-five for a 2000/III Tonar branded stylus. In my case it was out of curiosity because I dismissed Empire cartridges decades ago yet happened to have a body only kicking around since about 1980.

I wanted to hear what a "gold blob" sounded like without dropping a lot on a needle.

It turned out to be quite an acceptable sounding cartridge and it has a distinctive look.

Finances don't allow me much indulgence but having this functional Empire for comparatively little was a worthwhile investment.

Yes, I have done the same thing along with buying the TONAR S400TC copy, and both were very good performers.. Not quite up to original Empire but good. I didn't recommend that brand, because its not sold in the US. You either have to go to a European source like Thakker or Pickupnaalden, or source it through a Canadian contact, (Jelloalien).
 
Back
Top Bottom