• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Subwoofer recommendations for music..

Sam08861

Super Member
System isn't lacking bass and I've got nothing to complain about, but I'd like to try one out to see if it might make an improvement. Speakers to be augmented are Altec Model 14s fed by a Luxman R-115 receiver. Room is 14' x 22' with 21' ceilings.

Looking for something musical that will complement the other components. Not looking for deep bass like one would want in a home theatre, but tight and distortion free bass that might extend the speakers bottom end and perhaps free up some headroom for the top end.

One local item for consideration, now on craigslist, I seem a Velodyne ULD-15 II with the servo amp. (in walnut, so a good visual match). Like the size, but not sure how we'll they'll match up or if there are better options in the $250-400 price range. (prefer vintage due to value, but open to suggestions) . Have also considered a B&W PV1 listed locally.

Any suggestions for which subwoofers to keep an eye out for that might be a good fit?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Velodyne, Rythmik, JL Audio and SVS all offer sealed subs, which is what you want for music.
 
Thanks F1 nut. Am aware of those internet only brands (Rythmic, HSU, Epik, etc) and hardly ever see them on craigslist/locally (actually only ever saw an Epik Empire, never the others) and what I do see from SVS are always ported models.

As far as the Velodynes, I do see these, but quite often they are cht/spl models more suited for home theatre. The ULD is the only 'musical' model I've seen come up, other than a ratty looking f-1000. I do see JL audios come up occasionally, but are automotive nearly 100% of the time.

Any particular models to look out for?
 
F1nut is correct. I have an older Miller & Kreisel sealed sub, and it is exceptionally musical.

Good luck!
 
I forgot HSU, definitely another good choice. Another is REL.

I never shop Craigslist for audio gear. Check Audiogon, US Mart, here and even eBay.

The Velodyne SPL subs are sealed and great for music. You don't want the F models, lots of problems.
 
Thanks onwardjames and F1nut!

I did see a REL-218, but sold just 30 minutes before I called the seller this morning. There's also a REL Stentor? (1st series) but I couldn't find much info on this and it looks ooooold and beat up.

Didn't realize that about the SPL series and do recall seeing one or two. Will look into it further.

Now about that M&K. Definitely saw one online today (v1b model or something like that?) and will have to follow up on that.
 
Last edited:
Another sealed-box subwoofer fan here. I love my SVS, now discontinued and sold out, but any of their sealed-box models are nice. Watch for model-change discounts.
 
So here's some local choices in my price range... Looks like I the Velodyne SPL, B&W PV1 and M&K V1B I'd originally found are no longer available.

Velodyne ULD 15 II - $300 (Walnut and in great shape and comes with amp. Sticker says Feb 1991 and needs re-foam as there's a small 1/2" tear in the foam surround, which looks like it was repaired with rubber cement)

REL Stentor - $400

Velodyne Optimum 8 - $500

Outlaw M8 - $100

M&K V-1250 THX - $350

M&K Volkswoofer III - $300 + a 2hr drive

M&K V125 - $225

Any winners among this bunch that would be a good fit and good value pricewise? Shall I keep looking?

Thanks!

Sam
 
Velodyne Optimum 8 - $500

It should come with a calibration mike and remote.

Thanks again. Unfortunately no mic or remote with the unit. Build date is Sep 2008. What might be a fair offer, given the missing items and age?

I do have an audessey mic, if that might work?
 
There are features only available via the remote, so pass unless you can get one from Velodyne.
 
Thanks again. Looks like this subwoofer is in the database for my old logitech harmony one remote. (volume up/down/mute, phase controls, eq pre-sets, eq for calibration, "night", power and display light)

Will research the manual to see if these are enough. Plan to take my remote along to test that portion out, if so.
 
Thanks again. Looks like this subwoofer is in the database for my old logitech harmony one remote. (volume up/down/mute, phase controls, eq pre-sets, eq for calibration, "night", power and display light)

Will research the manual to see if these are enough. Plan to take my remote along to test that portion out, if so.

Those are all the features on the original remote.
 
If you can assemble a kit the Dayton Reference with knock down cabs at Parts Express will beat most commercial offerings and far a lot less money.
 
Another vote for "smallish" REL or Velodyne--(8-10" drivers) in sealed cabs. They may not go as deep as some of the big boys, but they are fast enough in response to keep up with the music--especially since you are using Altecs as the mains.
 
My personal opinion is that the smaller the subwoofer, the easier it is to integrate into the entire system. A compact sub with an 8-10" driver and passive radiator might do the trick.
 
Thanks baco99 and savatage1973, I was wondering if the Velodyne 8 was too small a sub for the room size so you're reassurance helps.

I really wanted the B&W PV1 for those reasons (speed/low distortion plus the 'surround less' and opposed 'boxer engine' dual drivers are just too cool) and also the aesthetics, but the seller has been non-responsive after several days. There was an Epik Empire with the 'boxer' configuration too, but the seller was also non-responsive.

Thanks poultrygeist for the PE/Dayton recommendation.

I had considered that and one of their 'econowave' type kits is on my 'audio bucket list' in the future, but for now was looking for something ready to go as I've got a backlog of items that I need to refinish/veneer/etc and didn't wan't to add another project to the pile. If they had a servo controlled woofer/plate amp, I'd probably be all over it though. Haven't personally found any DIY kits with DSP or Servo yet, but I may have missed it.
 
I'd pass on an Epik, anyway, unless the amp has been rebuilt or replaced altogether. Those things were junk.

For under $400, I'd look for a Martin Logan Grotto. That's a heck of a nice sub for not a lot of money. If you can stretch you budget a little bit, look at a REL B3, maybe even a B2. Those are great, as well.
 
Thanks baco99 and savatage1973, I was wondering if the Velodyne 8 was too small a sub for the room size so you're reassurance helps.

I really wanted the B&W PV1 for those reasons (speed/low distortion plus the 'surround less' and opposed 'boxer engine' dual drivers are just too cool) and also the aesthetics, but the seller has been non-responsive after several days. There was an Epik Empire with the 'boxer' configuration too, but the seller was also non-responsive.

Thanks poultrygeist for the PE/Dayton recommendation.

I had considered that and one of their 'econowave' type kits is on my 'audio bucket list' in the future, but for now was looking for something ready to go as I've got a backlog of items that I need to refinish/veneer/etc and didn't wan't to add another project to the pile. If they had a servo controlled woofer/plate amp, I'd probably be all over it though. Haven't personally found any DIY kits with DSP or Servo yet, but I may have missed it.

Servo kits - all the rage in OB subs

http://gr-research.com/diysubwooferkits.aspx

DSP comes standard with many plate amps.
 
Back
Top Bottom