• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sumiko EVO III sent to Soundsmith, which upgrade should I get?

Nashou66

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Years ago I bent my Cantilever on my EVO III. I sent it in to Soundsmith yesterday to have it evaluated.

I cant remember if also one channel drops in and out, but anyhow if it is repairable
which upgrade should I get ?

It might go on one of my AR XA's or a Rega RB300 arm on a custom table I made 20 years ago with
parts off an crappy Kenwood table. Its nothing special, at some point I want o modify one of the AR's to use the Rega Arm.

I listen to all kinds of music from Rock ,Hard core punk, Alternative , Metal to Jazz and some electronica.

Basically I like it all ;)

So any EVO III owners out there that had a Soundsmith upgrade? Which one and how did it sound to the old original BPS EVO III?

Athanasios
 
Register to hide this ad
I've had a number of carts repaired by Soundsmith and they all sounded as good, and in some cases better, than the original did. With your Blue Point Special Evo III, I would think the basic cantilever/stylus replacement would be appropriate and consists of an aluminum alloy cantilever with nude hyper-elliptical diamond. This would return it to a condition resembling the new product, which now sells for around $550 and can be found at various sellers. Anything more than the suggested rebuild would, to me, also warrant consideration of just buying a new one. For $220 +/- I think you will be quite pleased.
 
I was thinking of the ruby cantilever with a line contact stylus. I was hoping to hear from someone who
had this option.

Maybe once they contact me via e-mail we can go over what most of his customers get for this cart.

Nashou
 
I was thinking of the ruby cantilever with a line contact stylus. I was hoping to hear from someone who
had this option.

Maybe once they contact me via e-mail we can go over what most of his customers get for this cart.

Nashou
Go for it, I have that on a Blackbird they fixed
 
Can you compare it to the original or did you buy the Black Bird already upgraded?
I personally doubt you'll hear any difference, I have a stock EVO and another 4 Blackbirds. I have two identical tables side by side set up the same, the only difference is one BB has the Ruby cant, the other the stock Boron.
 
BTW. I think the EVO is a great bang for the buck and really the main thing I don't like about it is the bulky cantilever. The blackbird's boron is pretty fine compared, and the Ruby is just a tad thicker than that.
 
Well not only was the cantilever damaged but some how I badly rotated the coil.

David at soundsmith suggested the Sapphire cantilever with the CL stylus. I gave them the Green Light to do it!!!

Nashou
 
Last edited:
ruby would be great, i had this done and was very pleased. the one you're going with sounds like a good fit!

Yeah I was wondering how much a difference the ruby would make for 50 more clams. I will use the 50 towards some new wax instead ! ;)

Nashou
 
Yeah I'm a little rough some times , so i guess i'll stick with this for now.

I have an Adcom XC/LT (# 4907 etched on top) that i haven't tried out yet i got for cheap.

I wonder how they behave with the Soundsmith treatment , Maybe on that one .....

Nashou
 
Last edited:
Just got my EVO back !!!! Listening now, and man you guys are right that cantilever is thin !!!!!

34744849136_fa72ce05f2_k.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom