• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sumiko Songbird Cartridge

I just ordered the new Sumiko Songbird Cartridge from Juki. I'm anxiously waiting for delivery. I want to mount it on my Denon DP-59L. I've read nothing but good reviews.

Songbird665.jpg

The Songbird comes in at a much needed price point perfect for launching the part-time audiophile into some serious listening. As its name suggests, this open-architecture moving coil cartridge excels at providing colorful and rich vocals, and highlights the powerful low and mid-end of funk and rock. The long 7-micron stylus face will handle different cutting angles well, and this cartridge is also great at providing some excitement to otherwise anemic classical system setups.

DOWNLOAD USER MANUAL
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Cartridge Type:
Moving Coil

Stylus:
0.3 x 0.7 micron Elliptical

Cantilever Material:
coated aluminum pipe

Wire Material:
pure copper

Internal Impedance:
135 Ohms

Load Impedance:

47kΩ

Frequency Response:
12Hz - 40kHz

Output Voltage:
2.5mV

Channel Separation:
30dB @ 1kHz

Channel Balance:
<0.5dB @ 1kHz

Compliance:
12x10-6 cm/dyn @ 100Hz

Recommended load capacitance:
100pF - 200pF

Vertical tracking angle:
20°

Tracking Force:
1.8g - 2.2g

Recommended Force:
2.0g

Cartridge Weight:
8.5g
 
Register to hide this ad
Looks like a real performer
Can’t wait for your reviews, I’m listening to my EVO 3 special and it’s really a beautifully balanced and quiet cartridge , all I hear is the music playing from the speaker without any added colour ...
 
I didn't care for the EVO 3. It was just ok. But, I did buy it used, with low hours.

I do have a Sumiko Blue Point 2 here that I need to send out for repair.
 
I didn't care for the EVO 3. It was just ok. But, I did buy it used, with low hours.

I do have a Sumiko Blue Point 2 here that I need to send out for repair.
What didn’t you like about the EVO3? When you compare it to the blackbird it’s almost identical and the Blackbird has a great rep.
 
Looks like a real performer
Can’t wait for your reviews, I’m listening to my EVO 3 special and it’s really a beautifully balanced and quiet cartridge , all I hear is the music playing from the speaker without any added colour ...

See now that is what I am looking for. Was thinking of getting the EVO 3 for my TD125.
 
I preferred my Signet MK111E and Benz Micro Glider Lo. I felt like I heard more musically than with the EVO III.

But I am giving Sumiko another shot by wanting to listen to the Songbird.
 
The Sumiko Songbird arrived and after an hour trying to set up the cartridge I very happy so far.

I still need to fine tune the cartridge set up, but right now I'm hearing music, notes, bass and other things that I didn't hear on two other tables with different cartridges.

Sumiko has a couple of pages in the manual dedicated to just setting the VTA.

Screenshot_20200209-195600_Drive.jpg 20200209_142323.jpg 20200209_142528.jpg 20200209_142545.jpg 20200209_142929.jpg 20200209_194941.jpg 20200209_194958.jpg 20200209_195007.jpg 20200209_195013.jpg 20200209_195038.jpg
 
The Sumiko Songbird arrived and after an hour trying to set up the cartridge I very happy so far.

I still need to fine tune the cartridge set up, but right now I'm hearing music, notes, bass and other things that I didn't hear on two other tables with different cartridges.

Sumiko has a couple of pages in the manual dedicated to just setting the VTA.

View attachment 1758998 View attachment 1758999 View attachment 1759001 View attachment 1759002 View attachment 1759003 View attachment 1759004 View attachment 1759006 View attachment 1759008 View attachment 1759009 View attachment 1759015
Looks nice, interested in hearing your impressions after it’s been run in, sounds like your first impressions are positive.

Audiofreak71
 
Back
Top Bottom