• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sunn speakers - CL Portland, Maine

Register to hide this ad
Yep.. very good speakers.. a lot of the newer ones used Pyle drivers, which I would almost bet are in that set.. .. the old Sunn's (60's, 70's) used JBL's.. Sunn was one of the famous concert speakers out there.. many big bands used them, such as the beach boys.. Back in the 60's a guy named Bob Heil was the largest distribitor of them. He also worked with Sunn to design their cabs...
 
When I saw the Jimi Hendrix Experience Redding was using Sunns and Hendrix had two Marshalls and a Sunn. Mountain used Sunns and that band roared.

The bassplayer from The Kingsmen (Louie Louie) was a founder of Sunn. In the early days they used Dynaco tube hi-fi amps in their guitar and bass amp chassis.
 
Last edited:
When I saw the Jimi Hendrix Experience Redding was using Sunns and Hendrix had two Marshalls and a Sunn. Mountain used Sunns and that band roared.
You were actually able to check out their gear? I remember the roar part and Jimi's showmanship but little else.
 
You were actually able to check out their gear? I remember the roar part and Jimi's showmanship but little else.

Oh yeah, I played in bands and was interested in gear. Mitchell was playing silver sparkle Ludwigs; bass, snare, ride tom and two floor toms.

When I saw Led Zeppelin open for Vanilla Fudge Jimi Page was using those weird trapezoid Rickenbacher SS amps in chrome racks, they looked like Super Beatles on acid.
 
When I saw the Jimi Hendrix Experience Redding was using Sunns and Hendrix had two Marshalls and a Sunn. Mountain used Sunns and that band roared.

Here's one of the older JBL Sunn PAs for sale complete with lenses

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-SUNN-Co...9QQihZ020QQcategoryZ47094QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The bassplayer from The Kingsmen (Louie Louie) was a founder of Sunn. In the early days they used Dynaco tube hi-fi amps in their guitar and bass amp chassis.

EERRRRRR.. damn you Tom.. I've been trying to keep that quiet.. I'm holding the winning bid on those at the moment....

There is a really special reason I am after those speakers. Bob Heil was the man the designed the SUNN Coliseums.. My wife is his cousin, and I am trying to get these to restore for her. (and me) She took organ lessons from him, and has always thought really big of him, so kinda my present.... I've also always been a very big fan of his sound.. so these are a rare find..

PLEASE, Nobody bid on these!!! :thmbsp:
 
Hard to tell from the pic, is that a double 15 w/ a horn? If so I had this same speaker as my mains for about 8 years. They are a nice sounding speaker and would shake the house down w/ my Kenwood KR-V8050. This was the time period for Sunn when Fender owned them.

Tom, you are very lucky to not only have seen the bands mentioned but to also payed attention to the gear. I was a music gear junkie for years and always watched close at shows or old shows on tape. Had a cool collection for a number of years.

That JBL/Sunn rig is very cool. I have two double 15" cabs similar to those loaded w/ Altec 421's
 
Those look like newer sunn/fender models.

I had a couple pairs of sunn model 12 PA cabinets many many years ago, two 12's in a front loaded horn, 1 inch driver on a very large wood mid/hi horn and a pair of motorola tweets in each cab.

They were great stuff in their day, but the model 12's certainly had nothing close to JBL quality drivers in them. They may have offered JBL's as an option in some of their guitar amplifiers but i've never seen any sound reinforcement gear from sunn that was JBL equipped. Doesn't mean there wasn't, i just have yet to see any.
 
Here's one of the older JBL Sunn PAs for sale complete with lenses

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-SUNN-Col...QQcmdZViewItem
OK............... now i have!:yes:

Interestingly enough, i've had some of those dual 15 cabinets, empty of course and had no idea what was in them.

Never got into Sunn much until the late 70's when a friend's music store was dropping the Sunn line and sold me the four nearly new model 12's out of their rental fleet for a song.
 
Little off topic but I had an original Sunn Model T guitar head and matching oversized 4x12. That head was an absolute monster and the cab was rediculous in size.

Good Times
 
When I saw Led Zeppelin open for Vanilla Fudge Jimi Page was using those weird trapezoid Rickenbacher SS amps in chrome racks, they looked like Super Beatles on acid.

Haha..Im a little too young to remember them. But, I have seen pictures of those things!! They were truly bizzare looking!

What about Kustoms, with the nauhgahyde tuck and roll? lol
 
How do you like me now? Now do your thing.

LOL.. no worries Tom.. When I saw thios posting I went "CRAP, now people are going to search the bay for SUNN" It's worth more to have others educated. If it wasn't for those speakers, and Bob Heil, the Who wouldn't be the Who, and we probably woudn't know the sound at concerts as we know it today.. They were one of the first to use them. I do want these pretty badly though, and unfortinitally have more money to throw at them than my good senses tell me to... also, surprisingly my wife really likes the idea of owning them, and is backing me on spending what I need to...

She talks about being in his music shop, and seeing all of these "hippies" in there talking with Bob, or playing a guitar.. I keep wondering if any of those people were Joe Walsh, or Roger... or even Jerry himself.. she said she wishes now she would have paid attention to what was happening when she was there..

I will leave the link...
 
Hard to tell from the pic, is that a double 15 w/ a horn?

Yes.. they have the JBL 075 tweeter in them... here's another picture of the mid cab with the grill removed.. man am I REALLY hoping I can win these... If I do, they will be in THE best loving home they could ever be in, since they will be with a family member of their creator.. At least if I can win these, the world will know they won't be parted out and sold for a profit on e-bay. They will be turned into a shrine, pampered, loved and listened to appropriately daily.. My wife keeps checking on the auction...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/357116341.html
 
Yes.. they have the JBL 075 tweeter in them... here's another picture of the mid cab with the grill removed.. man am I REALLY hoping I can win these... If I do, they will be in THE best loving home they could ever be in, since they will be with a family member of their creator.. At least if I can win these, the world will know they won't be parted out and sold for a profit on e-bay. They will be turned into a shrine, pampered, loved and listened to appropriately daily.. My wife keeps checking on the auction...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/msg/357116341.html

This was in refrence to the 1990 era Fender owned Sunn cab.
 
Back
Top Bottom