• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

SVS deal of the Day or some similar B.S.

Navy_Goat

Active Member
I will freely admit that FB marketplace is the wild west. Tons of sketchy stuff, but somehow I have found my best audio deals there. I found a pair of Polk SDA 2B there for just 70 bucks, but before that happened I found an even I got an even better deal on a great subwoofer.

Browsing FB marketplace one day early this summer I found a guy selling an SVS SB-13ultra for $400. I have lusted after SVS equipment for a while, so I was interested immediately. I called and arranged to go take a look at it. Right away things were a bit sketchy. He claimed to have no way to test it? Why would someone have a massive sub with noting to plug it in to? Oh well, I grabbed a cord that would allow me to plug my smartphone in to the RCAs on the sub. Less than ideal solution, but it would at least allow me to see if the sub was working. Well, it was not! As soon as I plugged it in the seller started making excuses. The 13.5" driver was clearly not functioning properly. Rattling even at low volumes. I was pissed, I had wasted my time driving over to his house and it was clear to me he already knew it was blown. I thanked him for his time and left quickly.

When I got home I started looking in to what a repair would cost, thinking that I would offer 1/2 what he was asking and still get a decent deal. At this point the seller called me back to ask if I still wanted the speaker. I guess he felt bad about wasting my time. He said since he was just going to throw it away, I could come pick it up....FOR FREE. Back to his house I went. I called a repair shop on the way and dropped it off on my way home. Turns out the driver had separated from the basket almost all the way around. 85 bucks to get it repaired! Too easy...
20190329_180525.jpg
Picked it up three days later. Replaced the dual Bic F12's that I was running in the living room.
20190430_182945.jpg
The difference was night and day. This sub is light years ahead of the F12s. It damn well should be as it retailed for more than $1,500 and they are easy to find for around $200 each. The F12's were good for what they were and they still survive in my second system, but the improvement was massive. Love this new to me Sub. Digs low enough, musical, just great all the way around. It even helped with WAF by replacing two "black boxes" with one. This improvement came in handy a few weeks later when I found a pair of large vintage Polk speakers, but that is another story...

Thanks for reading. Questions and comments are welcome.

-Caleb
 
Register to hide this ad
I would say you lucked out big time! Nice sub, and great it was a simple fix.
When sub amps blow, that's something I usually wouldn't consider unless a new amp was easy to get cheaply.
 
SVS deal of the century

I hate that statement. You have now cursed yourself for nothing better than this sub for that money and two trips for the next what 80 years...the rest of the century. I think there are a large number of folks here that have done better than that and only call it the deal of the year or sometimes decade. There are always deals, how high up do you want to rate them.

Glad it worked for you. Simple fixes are the best.
 
NG, you can edit your title to prevent that crap I said (you did see what my initials would be?) from coming true. Thread tools top right of first post will give a subscriber that power. That is one serious driver.

First sub I bought, cl, Mirage, had a noise and was cheap. I thought surround but they were just fine. Pulled the drivers and one of the spiders was coming loose. Glued it back in place and it's been good since.

Pats need some receivers that can get open. Hopefully they learn a lot in the next few weeks.

Oh, welcome to AK.
 
Last edited:
BS, I take your point and though I am not superstitions I would love to find more deals like this.

This may not be the Pats season? Hard to tell with them....
 
I saw this post yesterday and thought whatever I thought. I saw the new title and immediately recognized what was up. You guys are funny. :beerchug:
 
This may not be the Pats season? Hard to tell with them....

I don't see it with only one extremely effective weapon as Tom's target. N'teal is just now getting on the field and isn't quick for getting open so he would have to work like Gronk to get open or just be huge like Gronk and catch over and through folks. A few have been hurt off and on and maybe some don't understand they must be there as the ball will be. It looks like they have too much to gel to get through this year compared to some others.

You are going to be very busy if you can chase deals like that on a daily basis. You do live in a target rich environment and there are numerous outlets to check. I look forward to your next major score.
 
Back
Top Bottom