• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sweet looking mid century console

Register to hide this ad
For the stereo, no, it is not worth $1400, not even $200.

As for a command piece of MCM furniture that can dominate a room, it probably is worth over $1000.
 
Way high. That cabinet looks much better than I'd have expected from GE though. Must have been the top of the top line model or something. I do like the style though, but it looks just a smidge late for tube power. I'd guess maybe SS/tube hybrid ?
 
I have been looking for mid century furniture and came across this console. Is the price on this way out of whack for what it is? I'm interested but not at 1400 bucks.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/fuo/2932347837.html

No affiliation with ad.

Wow, I found the same model at a yard sale a few years back, and paid 40.00 dollars for it. It also had approx 50 MFSL lp's that the seller threw in. The console is still in my sons possession. Gave it to him once I had no more room for it.
 
Very nice looking unit but overprice for what it is. I had a similar, unit from Zenith that also looked good in pictures but was cheaply made. They mention tubes but I'd think it is solid state and soundwise nothing to write home about. I had bought my similar one with plans to use it as a stereo cabinet but in the end it just wasn't very well made and I don't think it would have survived the conversion. Made a nice TV stand, though. Looks really cool, though. The MCM pieces that catch this much tend to have a recognized designer attached to their origin.
 
I wouldn't mind your Herman Miller, John. That will look beautiful in your living room! :thmbsp:

Keep in mind that the $1000 I threw out would be from a yuppie couple who would spend foolish money for the look. The actual collector, or anyone in the know, would definitely hold out for an original designer piece once the price went over about $400.

This limits the market to someone with lots of loose money, wants the look, is just starting out to fill a house with MCM, and is not very informed or picky. As a dealer who could wait a month, you might get $1500. As a seller you want to get back what you spent, which is the situation I would peg this seller as doing.
 
I wouldn't mind your Herman Miller, John. That will look beautiful in your living room! :thmbsp:

Keep in mind that the $1000 I threw out would be from a yuppie couple who would spend foolish money for the look. The actual collector, or anyone in the know, would definitely hold out for an original designer piece once the price went over about $400.

This limits the market to someone with lots of loose money, wants the look, is just starting out to fill a house with MCM, and is not very informed or picky. As a dealer who could wait a month, you might get $1500. As a seller you want to get back what you spent, which is the situation I would peg this seller as doing.

You're right, they may be trying to get back what they put in. Or they think there are tubes in it and think anything with tubes brings a lot. I'm not against paying through the nose if its a look you're after, regardless of what it is. These consoles are pretty common, though, and can be found for less.

There's a lot of stuff that isn't worth much as a hi-fi unit but is really costly from a MCM view. Like the KLH 20+ unit with the speakers on the pedestals.
 
It looks nice, but a pity you have to open the top to use it, so as a piece of useful furniture... not possible.
 
It looks nice, but a pity you have to open the top to use it, so as a piece of useful furniture... not possible.

The similar one I had basically just acted as a stand for my gear, and before that, a TV stand. I stored CD cases inside the unit.

It looked nice but basically just took up space that was better filled by something with accessible shelving.

loungechair.jpg
 
I think the one pictured above must have been built by the same company as the one in the CL ad, despite having a different brand attached. The legs were quite unique and exactly the same in both examples.
 
Back
Top Bottom