• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sweet newer cars from the big 3.....

theblackknight

Mikes off! No recording!
i've been really drooling over some new (2005ish - present) big 3 cars lately. :drool:

mainly:
1. Dodge Challenger SRT-8
2. Chevy Monte Carlo SS
3. Dodge Charger SRT-8

others to mention:
Chevy Impala SS, Dodge Magnum, Ford Mustang.

cars that are cool, but just didn't impress me as much as i thought:
Chrysler crossfire, chevy camaro


I really wish chevy would come out and make a new "chevelle" version of the malibu and stuff a V8 in it. or for chevy/ford to remake an old muscle car (like dodge did with the challenger). but with their economic state that could be the worst possible idea ever. :sigh:

you guys have any?
 
Register to hide this ad
Pontiac G8 GT with the big V8.

Not a super hot-rod looking rig, but it's supposed to be a great machine.

And, how can one not include the Vette? Sure, it's not a reissue, but the latest rendition is a really sweet car, IMO.
 
yeah, the vette is cool but I've never been a vette guy. not sure why. i didn't think the vette would impress me that much because to begin with. the engine does--just not the looks.

another car i forgot about is the Pontiac GTO that they made 2005-2006. that would go in my top 5. what an awesome car!
 
Sounds like you are a muscle car guy, which is cool. The new G8 GXT is due out with even more muscle etc than the G8 GT. I love musclecars myself, and picked up a 2002 C5 Corvette Convertible this past summer and am very impressed with it. Lots of handling, real balls when you want it, and the top comes down best of all worlds!
Regards,
Jim
 
Well, I could drive a Corvette :naughty:

Having said that, my true favorite is, has and always will be the Ford GT.

I'm still waiting Santa; pretty please?
 
So how many of those kind of cars do you think we'll see in the future??
They certainly DON'T seem to be the kinds of cars ( think GREEN ) the powers that be would think a responsible manufacturer would build.

BTW, those aren't my personal feelings, but I don't think anyone sees these kinds of cars as the salvation of the Big 3 and imagine efforts in this arena to be toned down quite a bit.
 
We drive his and hers 2000 Impala LSs 3.8l V6. Big as a Toyota Avalon and gets better gas mileage than the RAV4, I don't know what all the whining about Big 3 gas mileage is for. Time had a list of (supposedly) the ten best cars for gas mileage, it was a crock of that brown stuff. Go to the EPA mileage lists and you would see that they chose Asian over American even when the America got better mileage.

Question of the week: How many foreign auto plants are there in Japan or Korea?
 
With all of the talk in the news regarding The American car companies asking for a LOAN from congress to sustain business in these lean times.... Much of the general public doesn't understand the impact that the failure of the big three might have on their own lives...(1 out of every 10 jobs in America) and some soon forget the things that these companies do for the communities as well.. As you read this... You can see how much of the money spent on foreign vehicles comes back to our communities..

Ford, Chrysler and GM's contributions after 9/11

An interesting commentary...You might find this of interest:

'CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford and GM's
contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and
Washington.

The findings are as follows.....

1. Ford- $10 million to American Red Cross matching employee
contributions of the same number.. plus 10 Ford Excursions to NY Fire Dept. The
company also offered ER response team services and office space to
displaced government employees.

2. GM- $10 million to American Red Cross and matching employee contributions
and a fleet of 100's of vans, Hummers, and trucks to the NYFD the NYPD and Federal Rescue Teams..

3. Daimler Chrysler- $10 million to support of the children and victims
of the Sept. 11 attack.

4. Harley Davidson motorcycles- $1 million and 30 new motorcycles to the
New York Police Dept.

5. Volkswagen-Employees and management created a Sept 11 Foundation,
funded initial with $2 million, for the assistance of the children and
victims of the WTC.

6. Hyundai- Nothing

7. Audi-Nothing.

8. BMW-Nothing.

9. Daewoo- Nothing.

10. Fiat-Nothing.

11. Honda- Nothing

&nb sp; 12. Isuzu- Nothing.

13. Mitsubishi-Nothing.

14. Nissan-Nothing.

15. Porsche-Nothing........ Press release with condolences via the Porsche website.

16. Subaru- Nothing.

17. Suzuki- Nothing.

18. Toyota-Nothing Condolences posted on the website


Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new vehicle, keep
this information in mind. You might want to give more consideration to a
car manufactured by an American-owned and/or American based company.
Apart from Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed
nothing at all to the citizens of the United States, and remember one thing,
their profits do NOT stay in this country...
 
While I drool over the 60's GM muscle cars (still waiting for santa to bring me my '66 Caprice 427 4-speed with uber rare factory AM/FM stereo), I remind myself that I sit in LA traffic and need good mileage.

I read yesterday about Ford's Fusion Hybrid. I wonder why they aren't pushing this model harder - in a review it got 52 mpg in mixed city/highway driving here in LA. I could live with that, even if the styling will be outdated in a couple of years.

Rob
 
I have a '07 Monte Carlo SS. It gets 27mpg/hwy and has 303 HP. It has the Active Fuel Management sytem, which shuts down 4 of the 8 cylinders as necessary.

Handling is not like my 'Vette, but it's pretty darn good. All the bells and whistles, with plenty of go and head turning looks.
 

Attachments

  • MC SS.jpg
    MC SS.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 27
Whenever the time may be for you to purchase or lease a new vehicle, keep this information in mind. You might want to give more consideration to a car manufactured by an American-owned and/or American based company.
Apart from Volkswagen, the foreign car companies contributed nothing at all to the citizens of the United States, and remember one thing, their profits do NOT stay in this country...

Also the distinction is that the Big 3 'build' cars in NorAm, the others just 'assemble' cars in NorAm.
 
The Corvette. It's a true supercar that also make a nice daily driver and gets surprisingly good (mid 20's) gas mileage if you can restrain yourself from jack rabbiting all over town.

The new Challenger. Like a lot of Chrysler vehicles I like the way they look but I don't trust the build quality.

Buick Lucerne - I've always liked Buicks. I used to consult on a project that was 350 miles from home. I would drive there on Sunday and home on Friday in a rental Buick Regal. Did that every week for a year and really, really liked that car. Just last month on a business trip I rented a Lucerne and loved it.

Cadillac CTS-V - 6.2 liter supercharged v8 w/556 hp and 551 lb-ft of torque. 0-60 in 3.9 seconds. It can hang with the BMW M5 all day. It's the kind of car Cadillac should have been making 10 years ago.

Saturn Aura - Beautiful car. The first time I saw one I thought it was an expensive import. I was stunned when I saw it was a Saturn.

Ford Escape Hybrid - Nice looking, practical size, all wheel drive, hybrid. This is the only serious contender for my next vehicle vs. a Subaru Forrester. We have one Forrester now and like it so much that both my wife and I want another.

The domestic cars are now better than ever and they are just behind the imports in quality. It's gone from an ocean between them in build quality to the trickle of a garden hose.
 
One of GM's and Ford's tier-one suppliers is about to release a new car. Quantum (QTWW ticker) builds the Q-Drive plug-in hybrid platform that they developed with GM for the Hy-wire concept, and their American-owned car maker subsidiary is Fisker Automotive. Henrik Fisker, the lead designer, penned cars for Aston-Martin (Ford) such as the DB9 and the Vantage V8. He did the Z8 while he was working for BMW. His other company, Fisker Coachbuild, rebodies Mercedes SLs and BMW 6-Series.

But the Fisker Karma is sexy... 0-60 in under 6 seconds, plug-in hybrid, $87,000. http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/vehicles/features/

FiskerKarmaHybrid_Top.jpg
<<<Yes, this is from an American car company. :banana:
If only there were a word to decribe the serendipity of this car on this forum...



I'm a Pontiac fan, so I think the new G8 rocks. I wish the G8 ST (el camino variant) hadn't been axed...
 
Am really liking the new Chevy Cruze. As cool as the Volt is, this is the future of Chevrolet. Yup, this is the new Cobalt! :)

PHOTO_1478043_7276_262064_main.jpg


Chevrolet-Cruze-Paris-0.jpg


crui1.jpg


Chevrolet-Cruze-Paris-16.jpg
 
Last edited:
To give an idea of the size:

Chevrolet-Cruze-Paris-1.jpg



And this is the production ready version. Not just a concept car.
 

Attachments

  • Chevrolet-Cruze-Paris-1.jpg
    Chevrolet-Cruze-Paris-1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Am really liking the new Chevy Cruze. As cool as the Volt is, this is the future of Chevrolet.

When the Cruze hits the US next year it will be a very important car. The 2010 Equinox uses the same Direct-Injection engine, and will get about 30mpg. The Cruze, being much lighter and more aerodynamic, will likely get in the low 40's mpg.

Check out the WTCC version:

259404.jpg
 
Very nice.
Looks like GM is pulling out all the stops with this one. The first no excuses small car from the Big 3 since..... The K Car maybe?
 
i've been really drooling over some new (2005ish - present) big 3 cars lately. :drool:

mainly:
1. Dodge Challenger SRT-8
2. Chevy Monte Carlo SS
3. Dodge Charger SRT-8

others to mention:
Chevy Impala SS, Dodge Magnum, Ford Mustang.

cars that are cool, but just didn't impress me as much as i thought:
Chrysler crossfire, chevy camaro


I really wish chevy would come out and make a new "chevelle" version of the malibu and stuff a V8 in it. or for chevy/ford to remake an old muscle car (like dodge did with the challenger). but with their economic state that could be the worst possible idea ever. :sigh:

you guys have any?


Actually Henry the Malibu was the mid level offering of the Chevelle line.

the top was the Super Sport

then the 2 dr and wagon Malibu's


Then the 300 2 and 4 door (the 2 door was a post without the little fins along the rear window in the 66-67) I think the 300 was a short lived version I don't think it made it into the 68 model year but I could be wrong.
 
Back
Top Bottom