• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sx-750 vs sx-780

carlitosway

New Member
I just got a sx 780 to add to my collection and I can't believe the difference between it and the sx 750. My sx 750 sounds more crisp,sharp and clear across all notes, expecially listening to classical music. I'm glad I got the sx 780 for my collection(especially for the power meters), but I can't believe my ears. What do you all think about this?
 
Register to hide this ad
carlitosway said:
I just got a sx 780 to add to my collection and I can't believe the difference between it and the sx 750. My sx 750 sounds more crisp,sharp and clear across all notes, expecially listening to classical music. I'm glad I got the sx 780 for my collection(especially for the power meters), but I can't believe my ears. What do you all think about this?

I think you are right.The 50 series receivers IMHO do sound a little better.I love both 50 and 80 series receivers.The power meters do look nice....but if I had to chose ONE (like that would ever happen :D )it would be from the 50 series for sure.
 
Another vote for the 50 series. I run external power meters anyhow, more for show. The sound is definately stronger to me.
 
Last edited:
Although I might also be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to the SX-750, I would caution folks against drawing general conclusions about the performance of an entire product line based on a comparison of only 2 pieces of gear.

Especially troubling for me is that these conclusions are often made on the basis of listening to 30 year old gear that hasn't been serviced or even bench tested to ensure it is still performing to original specs. In my opinion, listening impressions would be much more valuable if the gear was fully restored/recapped.
 
The design transition between the -50 and-80 series was major. Integrated circuit power amplifiers were adopted by the japanese to simplify assembly. The 780 used the STK0060. Cost savings made this receiver the best selling unit of all time, but the sound quality suffered in comparison to "discrete" designs. The proof in the pudding is that some companies went back to discrete designs.
 
Again... we need to be careful about generalizations.

For example, the SX-880 did not make use of ICs in the same way as the SX-780 ... it continued to use discrete components.
 
thanks for the replies, i did compare the sx 750 and sx 780 on my hpm-100's.
in addition, both units were recently serviced and cleaned
 
...."serviced and cleaned" is not the same as replacing all of the 30 yr old electrolytic capacitors, but it is a step in the right direction.
 
Yes, you need to be sure to compare 2 units of the same status. I also would vote more for the discrete design of the 750 rather than the integrated outputs of the 780. But I never did a A-B comparison of both units
 
I have two 780's with "Darlington" outputs, saw then the other day. Does that mean anything to the above conversation? I really do not know.

jocko
 
This was, in fact, a generalized question. Nobody is really asking about benchmarking the components after a complete, (relative term) overhaul of each. I'm not trying to be mean, but I think he is looking for "general" information of the models that are in question. Bringing up the discrete component vs. the STK modules doesn't seem valid. I say, he should listen to as much as possible, enjoy, and let the ears assist him.
I have a lot of mid fi, it's not all the same, but they have unique qualities.
Just my $0.02's.
 
Back
Top Bottom