• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SX-838 won't come out of protect

MTF calls them a "Ticking time bomb" catastrophic damage when one lets go. Also found in the 1010 amp board circuits.
 
MTF calls them a "Ticking time bomb" catastrophic damage when one lets go. Also found in the 1010 amp board circuits.
This is especially true in a design like the SX-838 amp since when the 2SC1451 fails open, the bias current goes to max. I think the OP caught a break when his failed short.

Yes, the 2SC1451 was frequently used in Pioneer products during the mid 70s. The SA-9900 may be the worst in this regard with 18 2SC1451s along with 4 2SA809s which is it's PNP complement.
 
I finished rebuilding the power amp board, and it looks like I screwed it up somewhere. And I screwed it up identically on each channel. Back to protect with the following voltages on the protection board:
1: 34v
2: -13v
3: 34v
4: 0
5: 34v
6: 34v
7: 34v
8: 34v
9: 35v
10: 35v
11: 35v
12: 7.5A

Which leads me back to my work on the power amp board. All of the inputs are good. Others:

09: -49v
10: 22v
12: -13v
14: 35v
17: 22v
18: 22v

Q5 and Q6 were replaced with KSC3503DSTU's. On both base is reading 22v, collector 33v and emitter 22v.
Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 were replaced with KSA992FBU.

I double checked all of the pinouts before soldering them in. All tested good and all should be in correctly. I also replaced all of the electrolytic caps.

Any ideas where I messed up?

Nick
 
Never mind. Apparently when I put the power amp board back in I missed soldering some of the pins. She's sounding good now!
 
Well, there's always THAT as a solution. Good find. Reviewing our work is always a good practice. More than once I've found a tranny stuck in the wrong way around just before I was ready to throw the switch to try it out.
 
Back
Top Bottom