• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Synergistics speakers?

I picked up a pair of Synergistics S-51 speakers today at Goodwill for nine dollars. :)
All of the drivers are in great shape but the cabinets are pretty scratched up and kind of rough looking.

They have a 12" woofer with a cloth accordion type surround, 5" mid 2" tweeter, and a pizeo super tweeter. The speakers are acoustic suspension and have midrange and tweeter controls on the back as well as a reset button.


Pretty good sounding speakers...

Anyone have any more info on them?
 
thread resurrection :)

Yeah, I know... so sue me :D

I searched the innernetz high and low for any info on these, and though Synergistics seems to be a value brand, these served me well while they lasted, and appear to be another anomaly in the Synergistics line - S-52B's. The only post I found that came even close to these was post #11 in this thread.

The brochure scan for S-52A & S-62A's found in this post indicates S-52A's (not pictured) with 2 8" woofers and four 2" tweeters, but my speakers are identified clearly as S-52B's, in the third picture below.

syns52bpair.jpg

Last year I got curious and removed the bottom woofer to see what I could see, and remember being unimpressed with the magnet size. The speaker got tossed in a garage cleanout. I don't recall doing it myself or having it done, but it would appear the top driver on the left has been replaced, with the blue cone vs. the gray of the others. By judging the blue replacement driver on the left, and the foam missing from the upper right driver, that would concur with the brochure's info of both 8" drivers being woofers.

These really did rock the house in their prime :D

Closeup of front label:

syns52bclose.jpg

Here you can see the adhesive used to attach the grilles shown over the tweeters on the pics of the S-62A's in the brochure scan - an attempt to camouflage the so-so 2" cone tweets? I now remember that some of the tweets didn't work when I retired these. And I might have pulled off the glued-on grilles myself in my youth (I've had these since 1985 or so, stopped using them in '97).

Closeup of connections/controls - note the S-52B label:

syns52bback.jpg

I've read that with the gold foil crossover plate that these were produced by RTR in California, but the dating info in other threads ('80-81?) would indicate that my brother bought these at a later date than his Pioneer SA-9100 that I've owned since '95 (he bought it new in '75 or so).

I would love to make a project out of these, with all new drivers and crossover, but never attempted a speaker project before. The veneer could use help or replacement, and the cabinets themselves are simply painted particle board - would it be wise to try to reuse these cabinets after all these years? There is almost no sign of warping, bulging, etc.

How does one pull these apart to get at the crossover, etc.? And reassemble? Is it all done through the driver openings? Could I replace the veneered tops/bottoms with real wood?

I suspect these rebuild questions belong in another thread :D
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom