• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Systemdek IIX VS Kenwood KD550??

Yes, the AT cart is a great one, but don't think for a minute that the suspension is not a contributing factor.

The great thing about that table is it's suspended design, which basically helped to show the analog world that a deck which spins proper, with good isolation, is as important as an arm and cart.

You must calibrate the suspension and ensure that it's level, while still actively suspending the platter. This can be a tedious task, but it's essential. I suspect the poor tracking of the Profile arm may be related to this.

I agree with delihaus regarding the carts. You should probably take some notes before switching as audio memory is poor.

As for getting your Systemdek up to speed, give the platter a spin right before turning on the motor. This will get it up to speed while giving the motor a break, extending it's useful life.

Anyhow the Kenwood is a workhorse indeed. The thing is, you didn't really compare them in terms of sound. I am interested in your thoughts on this. My assumption is that the Sdek would be warm and smooth while the Kenwood neutral and detailed.
 
Yes, with the Systemdek much of it has to do with getting the suspension just right, and cart choice. An AT-150mlx sounded great on mine, but it's a finicky cart to get right on the phono preamp side, at least in my experience. In the end I still think it will come down to preference but it's hard to judge a turntable on just one cart.
 
The results are in!

Hi All,

I finally got a chance to really sit down and do a proper comparison. For these tests I used the same cartridge on both of the TTs (an AT-160). I fist did a listening test with three pre-chosen track, then I tested the vibration isolation of each table as I previously talk about.

The Systemdek:

For the listening test the systemdek performed very well. I would call the sound reproduction from this machine smooth and precise with very slight touch of warmth.

For the vibration isolation test, this TT failed miserably. As I suspected, vibrations are being transmitted from the motor to the table via the rubber drive belt. The steel spring suspended subchassis is also not perfect. It seemed as though some frequencies where not being stopped by this suspension system but the majority of unwanted vibration was coming from the motor. I tested this by listening to the TT with high volume on a silent runout groove, and while listening turning the motor on and off. This noise was loud enough that it could be head during very quiet section of a song.

The Kenwood:

This TT also performed extremely for listening test, and again I was surprised how similar the sound was despite the obviously drastic differences in TT design. There were however some notable differences. I would call the sound reproduction of the Kenwood analytical and exact, with wonderfully precise and punchy base.

For the vibration isolation of this TT I did the same test under the exact same condition. all I could hear is wonderful pure silence. It outperformed my expectations and because of this there is a certain clarity that is noticeably more refined during quiet passages than the systemdek.


All in all they are both extremely good sounding tables. I was very picky during the test and I'm sure I exaggerated some of the shortcomings of the systemdek, but nevertheless I will most definitely be keeping the Kenwood.

Thank you for all your help and comments regarding these two beauties.
 
Back
Top Bottom