• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TA-800 back from the shop...

Dave G. is north of Atlanta. Get it done by the MASTER! You might talk to him about it. Make it one of those instructional threads Dave is famous for. Which helps the whole community should someone pick up one in the future, and most of it would also apply to the earlier versions of the TA-600.
 
Dave G. is north of Atlanta. Get it done by the MASTER! You might talk to him about it. Make it one of those instructional threads Dave is famous for. Which helps the whole community should someone pick up one in the future, and most of it would also apply to the earlier versions of the TA-600.
Thanks Larry. I will reach out to Dave. I appreciate all of your help to me in the early days of a new obsession!
 
Ok so a new question... I remember before this unit went in for service, that there was a jumper connected to the one of the speaker screws on the rear. I believe it was for the phase going from the screw marked P to one of the posts, either 8 or 16. It is not there now...Do I need to make a new one before hooking up my speakers? If I remember correctly the jumper was connecting P with 16 which would have been wrong because I have 8 ohm speakers. This seemed to have no impact on sound.

I am using 8 ohm speakers and unless somebody stops me, I plan on making a jumper between P and 8 and connecting the B speaker to X and G and connecting the A speaker to 8 and G.
 
Last edited:
I bypassed that on mine. Never been a fan of those phase reversing switches. I run both speaker - leads to the one C (or 0, forget) terminal, and the + leads to whatever the proper impedance is.

The parts and all are still there, so its not exactly modified. I just don't use that feature.
 
Yep. That's what I've been using. I'm getting very limited sound out of one channel. When I adjust the balance to that side, it is very quiet and the volume control is basically nonexistent. After about 9 o'clock it just stops. Very weird. At first I thought it was hooked up wrong but it seems like a different issue.
 
What's the selector set to. AM is right channel, FM is LEFT unless set to MONO IIRC. Put a mpx'er on it and it'll have you turning 3-4 different knobs just to get sound from 2 channels. Which is why I don't use mine that much.
 
What's the selector set to. AM is right channel, FM is LEFT unless set to MONO IIRC. Put a mpx'er on it and it'll have you turning 3-4 different knobs just to get sound from 2 channels. Which is why I don't use mine that much.
I've been using the Aux input to keep things simple.
 
See if the owners manual has any words of wisdom, before tearing into it.
Make sure all the tubes are set down and tight in the sockets.
Source Selector to AUX and then MONO-STEREO selector to Stereo or REV(Reverse). Also check for operation on A and B. A & B equate to LEFT and RIGHT!
 
See if the owners manual has any words of wisdom, before tearing into it.
Make sure all the tubes are set down and tight in the sockets.
Source Selector to AUX and then MONO-STEREO selector to Stereo or REV(Reverse). Also check for operation on A and B. A & B equate to LEFT and RIGHT!
Hey Larry. Yup already gone through that stuff. I believe it's more complicated than that...
 
Just re-checking input selections. It's really easy to get it wrong with the TA-600 and TA-800 when you 1st get them. After a while it gets easier. Send it back to the tech (provided he warranted his work). And charge him mileage.
 
So just as a follow-up to anyone who may be curiously following, my 800 was sent to Dave G for restoration and a few modifications he is known for. I have asked for him to post his work for our enjoyment and education.

Thanks everyone for your input and help!
 
Awesome, if the Master has worked on it, I'm sure you'll have a lot of enjoyment from that. I'm also curious if Dave has any impressions of the TA-600 vs the TA-800 since he's had a chance to work on both.
 
Rob; One more option for refinishing. New veneer. You can cut all the separate pieces and install them on the old cabinet. Then finish it in your choice of finishes. Plus you'll still have your Dad's cabinet as a base.

Larry
 
Back
Top Bottom