• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Table Radios Designed and Inspired by Henry Kloss

Tivoli Subwoofer

3rd Generation (1995 to 2002)

Series 2: Henry Kloss at Tivoli

For use with the Tivoli Model Two.
 
Tivoli System

3rd Generation (1995 to 2002)

Series 2: Henry Kloss at Tivoli

Tivoli Model One, Two, Subwoofer and CD Player.
 
PAL: Portable Audio Laboratory

3rd Generation (1995 to 2002)

Series 2: Henry Kloss at Tivoli

An "interesting" modern interpretation of the "classic" Henry Kloss design.

Accoring to one source:

" ... Don't forget his PAL radio, which he designed before his death. Apparently Henry slept next to the prototype model, on his nightstand, and Tivoli had to borrow it back from his family so they could go into production."

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/palinfo.htm
 
Thought I'd add to this thread. My brothers and I have owned the white Advent radio, Advent speakers, KLH 88 stereo fm tuner, KLH compact stereo system and I'm the proud owner of one of the first Model One's produced in walnut. Recently Tivoli kicked their solid wood cabinets up another notch with a multi-layered finish on the walnut cabinet (also available in piano black) and I thought I'd share a pic of it. :smoke: (Note these are fifty bucks higher than the standard Model Ones.)
 

Attachments

  • Model One_Walnut.jpg
    Model One_Walnut.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
eThink, great presentation, history and timeline. I have the Tivoli model one and love it.
Im heard many good thing's about the old KLH table radio's but havent seen many. i appreciate the effort, very informative :thmbsp:

RC
 
Great presentation!!!When I was a teenager in the late 70's,I was always searching for that rarity-a good,handsome table radio.I owned several-a JCPenney wood radio,a GE,etc.I knew nothing about the old KLH's back then,and I couldnt afford the Advent 400.My prayers were answered the day I walked into Ultimate Electronics and saw the Tivoli.I took it to work the next morning and everyone laughed at me.How can this little box compete with all these Boomboxes?By the end of the day,I had 20 people ask me where I got it,and how much was it.By the end of the week,there were 3 more in the office.As you so wonderfully showed,a great idea and a beautiful design never goes out of style.
Jimmy
 
grumpy said:
Celt, Thats stunning looking !
Dave, I thought of you when I saw it. I remembered that we shared a fondness for those. :)

2Duals, yep, I saw the Sirius model too. Funny to see the digital display window next to the old school vernier tuning knob, huh? Given their price, there's some serious radio construction residing inside the Tivoli radios!
 
Thanks to everyone who has posted evidence here of the design genius of Henry Kloss. All of the photos are great.
 
Oh jeez, just when I thought I had hit my audio nirvana with my Citation Receiver, you go and post all those pics... Simply put, this thread displays some of the most elegantly designed small radios out there. A true example of how simple can be far more tasteful than complex designs. Ever look at a Sony clock radio? More buttons and functions than most people would use in a lifetime, let alone ever need.

Thanks to all that posted pics and descriptions in this thread. Very well done.

Regards,
Joe
 
Hi, Think,

KLH meant much to me.
Christmas 1968?, father brought home our first stereo: KLH Model 24
What a disappointment.
No fancy buttons, filters, switches, lights, dial, etc.

Why didn't he buy a nice big attractive cabinet stereo like Magnavox, etc.?

Upon hearing stereo for the firstime; Wow, Fantastic, Incredible!

Later took it back and bought a Model 20.

Only later did I realize howonderful the KLH was when I heard a typical cabinet stereo. Otherwise, I likely would never have known.
KLH is so much better.

Maybe KLH influenced me to become a classical organist.
Thank you, Henry Kloss. You did good.
(And thanks, Think, for your nice tribute and education.)
 
Don't know if responding to a 15-18 yr old post is futile. I may have already made similar comments somewhere here or in other forums. I was the Audio Product Manager at Advent Corp between 1977 and 1981. Henry left the company sometime around 1977 to start Novabeam with Tom DeVesto. I joined the company because of Henry and I'm pleased to say we were friends until his passing. The Advent 410/420 radios (and 450 receiver, btw) were my projects. The Model 400 was increasingly expensive to produce and had slow sales. So I worked with the Japanese company Shin Shirasuna (which made HK receivers) to create three replacements. Henry was at Novabeam by this point and wasn't involved. I'd like to think the radios continued on in the spirit of the original Model 400 radio. The tuner sections were excellent because Shin Shirasuna had a better production facility for precise tuner consistency. I believe Shin Shirasuna was acquired by Harmon Kardon at a later date. I also acquired an Advent 100A projector in 1977 (the one that came back from UL after undergoing safety tests), which I still have. Man, it's huge... Fred Pinkerton Duluth GA. (later at Boston Acoustics/Cambridge SoundWorks/ZVOX Audio, now retired).
 
Back
Top Bottom