• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tandberg Reel Help.

dualhead

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hey gang, I have a Tandberg 4000X reel to reel I was given and need some help. The unit is mint. All buttons, lights etc. are in working condition. The one problem is when I turn on the button to play (I.e. turn on the main motor) I hear a pop and the motor won't turn. I can turn the spindle on the motor, so it isn't frozen. I'm at a loss. Sound like anythin familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance. P.S. if anyone has a manual I would greatly appreciate it.
 
Register to hide this ad
Not the belt.

I took all belts out and the main motor dosen't turn unless I manually turn it. So, the problem is the motor ain't movin. Just clickin and sittin there. Thanks for the idea though. Wish it was the belt.
 
Are you talking about the motor shaft itself, or the capstan? If you are indeed talking about the motor, and the motor shaft vibrates when the power is applied, then this is likely to be bad motor run capacitor.
 
How long has it been since it was last used and operated normally? If it has sat for awhile, the motor may have developed a dead spot. Have you tried grasping the motor shaft, and giving it a spin to get it up and going? Has it been lubricated lately? Also, check the startup caps to see if they're dead or not.
 
Yes, and I will.

I did give the shaft a spin to no avail. I didn't notice any vibration in the shaft. It must have been sitting for years since its last use. I'll check the caps and other recommendations. Hope its an easy fix, its in beautiful shape. Thanks guys! Any other ideas, lay em on me.
 
Hi,

Ingrid and I think you have a bad motor run capacitor. Ingrid may well have performed the final QC on your Tandberg as she worked on the line then. It's an excellent machine and usually simple to service. :tresbon:
 
I would disassemble the machine far enough to where I could identify the source of the "pop". Is this a control relay? Is this the pinch roller solenoid? Is this a spark from an arcing capacitor?

Fred
 
Thanks, et merci!

I'll run through it as you guys describe. Thanks for the replies. BTW Who is Ingrid?
 
Hi,

Ingrid is my Norwegian wife who was born and raised in Oslo, she previously worked for Tandberg Radiofabrik of Oslo along with her parents.
 
Back
Top Bottom