• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tandberg TCD 310 Cassette Deck - Refurbed and working

Mark_71

Member
My Tanberg TCD 310.jpg

Tandberg TCD 310

I finally got my Tandberg TCD 310 cassette deck in perfect working order. I ordered it off eBay for $200 and just stored it away for a rainy day. A bit expensive for this Tandberg model, but it it was in near mint condition with the original box, original paperwork, and even had the legs that clip on to stand it up vertically. I always wanted a Tandberg since I first saw one in Norway. I also ordered an original service manual.

This might be my last refurbishment. I’ve been doing this for quite a few years now. This unit was boxed away waiting for when I was older and needed a project. I’ve decided to give away a bunch of my unused audio equipment, but quickly realized any friends or family wouldn’t have the patience, skills, or tools to fix this so I spent the last month leisurely working on it.

This isn’t a super high-end cassette deck, but it’s a fun one, sounds decent, and looks cool. Plus it can be positioned horizontally or vertically. It was a joy to work on. It’s one of the few decks where I found the service manual to be really easy to understand and I can’t say enough about the design of the unit, it’s like no other deck. The front and back are solid pieces of metal with grooves that the boards slide into. It was manufactured to be serviced. I had no trouble w/ disassembly and the belts are easy to replace.

I cleaned all the parts with electronics grade alcohol, then DeoxIT on anything that might need it. Some of the metal connections, like the RCA jacks, seemed to have oxidized pretty badly. Inside it looked new after a good cleaning. I did not recap anything. All the original light bulbs worked. The original fuse worked, though I swapped it out for a new one. All functions worked right out of the box even before I cleaned it up, but the right channel was low, both in VU meter and over the speaker. After plenty of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner and DeoxIT, I let it sit for a few days before firing it up and that seemed to fix the right channel. I’ve noticed this on multiple refurbishments, sometimes it’s best to apply DeoxIT a few times and let it sit for a few days. I even opened the VU meters and cleaned them. It seemed that the right channel got better and better the more and longer I tested the unit. It’s perfect for now.

I cleaned the heads and applied some rubber renewer to the pinch rollers. The metal cassette plate slides back and forth on three ball bearings. I removed the plate and chipped away the old grease which had partially solidified. I’m surprised the plate engaged at all when I hit the PLAY button, but it did, just a bit sluggishly. I replaced both belts (capstan and counter). I ordered two belt kits from two different vendors just in case one was higher quality, but neither sent a good counter belt, both were too loose. Luckily, I have extra belts of varying sizes and managed to find one that fits. Inside there was foam in a few places that disintegrated; I replaced that too.

I remember talking to an old man in a used electronics store in Oslo and he commented that Tandberg gave Nakamichi a run for their money. I figured that was just Norwegian pride speaking and even though I’ve never seen a Dragon, I know the TCD 310 is not in the same league. It's just a fun deck. Then I saw some reviews on the Tandberg 3014A. Now that was a hi-end deck. People rave about it. And the prices are out of control. There’s one on eBay right now for $2990. I’m fine playing my humble TCD 310, it works like a charm, and it will make a great gift to someone.

PROS

  • Easy to work on
  • Belts readily available (2 belts) / easy to change
  • Beautiful Norwegian styling
  • Quality manufacturing
  • Good sound (not amazing, there are better Tandbergs)
  • It worked after years being boxed away even before I cleaned it or replaced belts (impressive)
CONS
  • I ordered 2 different belt kits, both had counter belts that were too loose
  • Buttons noisy (loud clunk sounds)
  • No headphone jack (at least not in US model)
  • Some metal parts oxidized heavily
  • Recessed RCA jacks only accept small cables (I used the cheap red/white ones that came with a 90s deck, they were the only ones that would fit)
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice work. Who did you get the belt kits from?

Switchcraft had some RCA jacks that would fit those RCA's, nice narrow metal body on them...

John
 
Nice work. Who did you get the belt kits from?

Switchcraft had some RCA jacks that would fit those RCA's, nice narrow metal body on them...

John

Thanks jduerbin1, I'll look into the Switchcraft. I ordered one belt kit from Marrs and the other from eBay (seller: revox_de). The eBay seller ships from Germany. They were identical as far as I could tell. The capstan belt worked just fine.
 
Do not discount the sound quality of the Tandberg! I bought a TCD 300 in 1973 and there was nothing on the market that could beat the sound quality. In time there were others that would come close, but whenever I played a tape made on the Tandberg on another cassette deck, not much compared. I still own it, and its time to wake it up.
 
Late to the dance here, but I totally agree with the TCD300 being the best cassette deck I've owned. Funny thing is that I felt there was some extra EQ in the recording that gave it a very dynamic and musical sound. I don't think any review ever touched on that, but playing back the tapes on other decks always made them sound better. I sold it many years ago. Dumb move. The four decks that I have now (mid-fi JVC, HK, Sansui and Rotel) don't compare and they all need help. Any suggestions?
 
hi
View attachment 1070329

Tandberg TCD 310

I finally got my Tandberg TCD 310 cassette deck in perfect working order. I ordered it off eBay for $200 and just stored it away for a rainy day. A bit expensive for this Tandberg model, but it it was in near mint condition with the original box, original paperwork, and even had the legs that clip on to stand it up vertically. I always wanted a Tandberg since I first saw one in Norway. I also ordered an original service manual.

This might be my last refurbishment. I’ve been doing this for quite a few years now. This unit was boxed away waiting for when I was older and needed a project. I’ve decided to give away a bunch of my unused audio equipment, but quickly realized any friends or family wouldn’t have the patience, skills, or tools to fix this so I spent the last month leisurely working on it.

This isn’t a super high-end cassette deck, but it’s a fun one, sounds decent, and looks cool. Plus it can be positioned horizontally or vertically. It was a joy to work on. It’s one of the few decks where I found the service manual to be really easy to understand and I can’t say enough about the design of the unit, it’s like no other deck. The front and back are solid pieces of metal with grooves that the boards slide into. It was manufactured to be serviced. I had no trouble w/ disassembly and the belts are easy to replace.

I cleaned all the parts with electronics grade alcohol, then DeoxIT on anything that might need it. Some of the metal connections, like the RCA jacks, seemed to have oxidized pretty badly. Inside it looked new after a good cleaning. I did not recap anything. All the original light bulbs worked. The original fuse worked, though I swapped it out for a new one. All functions worked right out of the box even before I cleaned it up, but the right channel was low, both in VU meter and over the speaker. After plenty of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner and DeoxIT, I let it sit for a few days before firing it up and that seemed to fix the right channel. I’ve noticed this on multiple refurbishments, sometimes it’s best to apply DeoxIT a few times and let it sit for a few days. I even opened the VU meters and cleaned them. It seemed that the right channel got better and better the more and longer I tested the unit. It’s perfect for now.

I cleaned the heads and applied some rubber renewer to the pinch rollers. The metal cassette plate slides back and forth on three ball bearings. I removed the plate and chipped away the old grease which had partially solidified. I’m surprised the plate engaged at all when I hit the PLAY button, but it did, just a bit sluggishly. I replaced both belts (capstan and counter). I ordered two belt kits from two different vendors just in case one was higher quality, but neither sent a good counter belt, both were too loose. Luckily, I have extra belts of varying sizes and managed to find one that fits. Inside there was foam in a few places that disintegrated; I replaced that too.

I remember talking to an old man in a used electronics store in Oslo and he commented that Tandberg gave Nakamichi a run for their money. I figured that was just Norwegian pride speaking and even though I’ve never seen a Dragon, I know the TCD 310 is not in the same league. It's just a fun deck. Then I saw some reviews on the Tandberg 3014A. Now that was a hi-end deck. People rave about it. And the prices are out of control. There’s one on eBay right now for $2990. I’m fine playing my humble TCD 310, it works like a charm, and it will make a great gift to someone.

PROS

  • Easy to work on
  • Belts readily available (2 belts) / easy to change
  • Beautiful Norwegian styling
  • Quality manufacturing
  • Good sound (not amazing, there are better Tandbergs)
  • It worked after years being boxed away even before I cleaned it or replaced belts (impressive)
CONS
  • I ordered 2 different belt kits, both had counter belts that were too loose
  • Buttons noisy (loud clunk sounds)
  • No headphone jack (at least not in US model)
  • Some metal parts oxidized heavily
  • Recessed RCA jacks only accept small cables (I used the cheap red/white ones that came with a 90s deck, they were the only ones that would fit)
i have this deck. i hv a peculiar problem. when i plug in and power on the deck i have electric supply all through the body of the deck. i chkd with tester . how to solve this issue .TIA
 
hi got a good technician to bring the deck to vvg playing condition!! And is there any chance of getting a replacement playing head for this?
 
I have a large box full of partially dismantled TCD 310 decks out in the garage, if you need parts. Someone sent it to me a long time ago, and although I've pulled a couple of parts out of it for a few people that needed some part or another, there's lots left. I suspect a good used head set is available - let me know if you want me to check.

John
 
I have a Mk2 in the attic. I really ought to pull it out. At the time (some 20 years ago) and after a full alignment, I was literally blown away by the amount of HF it could get onto the tape - and on a That's EX I'd never heard anything like it! But now I have two Naks, which are kind of less impressive only because I expect better from them.
 
Last edited:
My guess is your Nak's need an alignment then...

They don't, lol! ;) In fact, ahead of some transfer work I recently checked the line-up of the 700 ZXL - using (as always) a pristine set of BASF calibration tapes. (Only the click-stop azimuth adjustment precludes perfect channel phase coherence at 10kHz.) The 700 Tri-Tracer currently has a transport logic fault which I've yet to find time to attend to. But my point was that, because I expect better from them, it's not a surprise when they actually do deliver a superlative performance. Much in the same way that I wouldn't be impressed with a [lossless] well-executed digital recording - as a blameless rendition of line-in is to be taken for granted.
 
Last edited:
I have a large box full of partially dismantled TCD 310 decks out in the garage, if you need parts. Someone sent it to me a long time ago, and although I've pulled a couple of parts out of it for a few people that needed some part or another, there's lots left. I suspect a good used head set is available - let me know if you want me to check.

John
could you pl check and revert regarding the play head. TIA
 
View attachment 1070329

Tandberg TCD 310

I finally got my Tandberg TCD 310 cassette deck in perfect working order. I ordered it off eBay for $200 and just stored it away for a rainy day. A bit expensive for this Tandberg model, but it it was in near mint condition with the original box, original paperwork, and even had the legs that clip on to stand it up vertically. I always wanted a Tandberg since I first saw one in Norway. I also ordered an original service manual.

This might be my last refurbishment. I’ve been doing this for quite a few years now. This unit was boxed away waiting for when I was older and needed a project. I’ve decided to give away a bunch of my unused audio equipment, but quickly realized any friends or family wouldn’t have the patience, skills, or tools to fix this so I spent the last month leisurely working on it.

This isn’t a super high-end cassette deck, but it’s a fun one, sounds decent, and looks cool. Plus it can be positioned horizontally or vertically. It was a joy to work on. It’s one of the few decks where I found the service manual to be really easy to understand and I can’t say enough about the design of the unit, it’s like no other deck. The front and back are solid pieces of metal with grooves that the boards slide into. It was manufactured to be serviced. I had no trouble w/ disassembly and the belts are easy to replace.

I cleaned all the parts with electronics grade alcohol, then DeoxIT on anything that might need it. Some of the metal connections, like the RCA jacks, seemed to have oxidized pretty badly. Inside it looked new after a good cleaning. I did not recap anything. All the original light bulbs worked. The original fuse worked, though I swapped it out for a new one. All functions worked right out of the box even before I cleaned it up, but the right channel was low, both in VU meter and over the speaker. After plenty of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner and DeoxIT, I let it sit for a few days before firing it up and that seemed to fix the right channel. I’ve noticed this on multiple refurbishments, sometimes it’s best to apply DeoxIT a few times and let it sit for a few days. I even opened the VU meters and cleaned them. It seemed that the right channel got better and better the more and longer I tested the unit. It’s perfect for now.

I cleaned the heads and applied some rubber renewer to the pinch rollers. The metal cassette plate slides back and forth on three ball bearings. I removed the plate and chipped away the old grease which had partially solidified. I’m surprised the plate engaged at all when I hit the PLAY button, but it did, just a bit sluggishly. I replaced both belts (capstan and counter). I ordered two belt kits from two different vendors just in case one was higher quality, but neither sent a good counter belt, both were too loose. Luckily, I have extra belts of varying sizes and managed to find one that fits. Inside there was foam in a few places that disintegrated; I replaced that too.

I remember talking to an old man in a used electronics store in Oslo and he commented that Tandberg gave Nakamichi a run for their money. I figured that was just Norwegian pride speaking and even though I’ve never seen a Dragon, I know the TCD 310 is not in the same league. It's just a fun deck. Then I saw some reviews on the Tandberg 3014A. Now that was a hi-end deck. People rave about it. And the prices are out of control. There’s one on eBay right now for $2990. I’m fine playing my humble TCD 310, it works like a charm, and it will make a great gift to someone.

PROS
  • Easy to work on
  • Belts readily available (2 belts) / easy to change
  • Beautiful Norwegian styling
  • Quality manufacturing
  • Good sound (not amazing, there are better Tandbergs)
  • It worked after years being boxed away even before I cleaned it or replaced belts (impressive)
CONS
  • I ordered 2 different belt kits, both had counter belts that were too loose
  • Buttons noisy (loud clunk sounds)
  • No headphone jack (at least not in US model)
  • Some metal parts oxidized heavily
  • Recessed RCA jacks only accept small cables (I used the cheap red/white ones that came with a 90s deck, they were the only ones that would fit)
hmm i still use this deck!
 
Back
Top Bottom