• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tangent 500 mod help

ummagumma89

New Member
Does anyone have experience dampening and or bracing the t-500's

I did one speaker just to see. I do feel the bass improved (braced bottom, middle are by 12 woofer and top. (1x2 oak boards from home depot.

I feel as though the braced cab squawker sounds less bright than the stock speaker.
These speakers are from 91 and have original components (which were heresy 2 components from factory plus a passive radiator on the bottom) no upgrades whatsoever not even caps.

Maybe bracing positioning is essential? or I did to much? For all three positions I chose for bracing, two 1x2 oak boards braced to sidewalls and two 1x2's for back to front bracing and glued together with the ones running to the sidewalls. They did come with 2 pieces of foam from factory that used to be just thrown in. not glued or anything one on each side extending from bottom of the cab up to half way up the 12" sub.
The braced speaker forced me to raise the foam upwards a bit. Foam might be up to the squawker now on the sidewalls only and wedged. Cut opening in the stock foam to pass through the bracing. still sits higher up in the cab. Maybe the foam is dampening it?
I find the stock speaker without bracing has a crisper sounding squawker than the braced cab.
Braced speaker does seem to have a tad more bass. Possibly cleaned up mids?
I just dont want to lose the crisp hi's from bracing. If anyone can confirm thats whats happening Id appreciate it.

I know there is a lot of variables at play here, but interested in hearing if anyone else had success with these speakers.
Also interested in getting rid of the foam anyway and using another material. How does one dampen a cab with a passive radiator? how thick? should the bottom be avoided for the rad? Should the top be avoided so I don't lose the crisp hi's?

Any experience appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Got the hi's to sound a little better by getting that foam away from the top of the cabinet. bass response is not as good as stock speaker though in both instances. this was played at a decent volume, not cranked at all, just to see. couldnt test a levels i wanted tonight
 
Back
Top Bottom