• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tangent 500

Xtinc

Well-Known Member
I picked up a pair of Tangent 500 locally for not much $. Grills are missing, cabs are a little rough (not to bad) dust covers are pushed in and one PR has some stains. I didn't need another pair of speakers especially a pair this size! But they were included with a receiver that I did want. I wasn't exactly sure what a Tangent 500 was and didn't realize it contained Heresy II components. In matter of fact as I was bringing them in the house I told my wife I would be getting rid of them pretty quick...then I hooked them up and immediately thought, these are going to be fun.

picture.php


Crossovers been rebuilt and maybe some Crites diaphragms next. I have zero woodworking skills, but would like to brace the cabs and add some more stuffing. Don't know if it would mess with PR tuning though.
Powered by a Jolida JB502 w/ KT88EH tubes.
 
Register to hide this ad
Xtinc, don't know what you paid and really don't care. You got some awsome speakers. Those couple of years that they were made Klipsch produced some fantastic speakers. Enjoy! :thmbsp:
 
Congratulations on finding those T-500's.
I have the T4000's - similar but with ports instead of the passive radiator.
Great powerful sound, even with low wattage amps. Mine are a little recessed in the midrange. Some Crites upgrades may help that.
On the Klipsch site, I noticed that between the the T-xxx models and the T-xxxx models, the weight on the 4 digit models increased by about 15 lbs. Wonder if the later models had more bracing?
 
Thanks for your inputs! These are very dynamic speakers and can fill a room with little amplification. I do see where Klipsch cut cost on the cabinets. These large boxes have no bracing and only a small amount of stuffing sorta just laid in there.

-19db, the t4000 series look nice. The extra weight is most likely better bracing or thicker MFD. I'm curious if yours has internal cross braces?
 
I've never opened up the T4000's up but now you've got me curious. It could be additional bracing but could also be the factory changing the stated weight from actual to shipping weight.
Is all the access through the driver cutouts?
 
Installed some Crites Titanium diaphragms and results were not subtle, at least to my ears. Lost the harshness I was experiencing and gained some nice air on the top end, worth every penny. I also built some grills so my room doesn't always look like a night club. Next I will look into bracing the cabs.

Does stuffing make any difference with passive radiator cabinets?

I've never opened up the T4000's up but now you've got me curious. It could be additional bracing but could also be the factory changing the stated weight from actual to shipping weight.
Is all the access through the driver cutouts?

Yes, access is only through the drivers and speakers terminal cap.
 
Back
Top Bottom