• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tannoy mallorcan g-sale score!! Along with questions

Bluevenom

New Member
Hey guys just had a massive score early yesterday morning while garage sailing. I couldn't believe them when i saw them but yes thanks to a good friend's phone call i scored some tannoy mallorcan 12" at a garage sale. I have posted a pic of one of them after i waxed them up. Looks pretty good easily 8/10 conservatively!

My questions are.... Why cant i find any specs info online? Does any loyal memeber have a scan/PDF of the manual. I'd really love to read it.

Knowing that these speakers are monitors they probably need stands any recommendations on height?

Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah, they sound very epic on my marantz 2285.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 186
Register to hide this ad
He literally scored them for peanuts, thanks to moi ! :yes:
Once in a lifetime score !

They sound great but cabinet design look terrible, in my opinion ! lol :music:
You cant even see the Tannoy badge !
These would be perfect Jazz listening speakers !

Im curious to see a spec sheet on them..

Here's a pic right side up.

image.jpg
 
Amazing that garage sale scores like this still happen. Congrats! I bet there is some Golds in those cabinets. Pop one of the backs off and share some pics if you can.
 
Here you go, i emailed them to rob he'll post them properly later on.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 148
Great! Now find and Build some Decent Boxes for those. With a Few exceptions Tannoy only supplied Enclosures as a way to Boost Driver sales. Consequently Many such enclosures sold are less than Ideal, sonically.
Also you will needs rehab the Crossovers.. in the very least the LF Electro Caps are Toast.. also clean/lube the switches and ALL connections plugs, 40+ years Does take an Audible toll.

PS: these were Not monitors, despite claims by the unwitting. Does the naming even Matter??
 
Guts - up close and personal :)

IMG_4799.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg


Tannoy made some of the best drivers, but had no clue about box building.
 
Nawwww Tannoy.. Did have a clue.. about box building.
Some were /are exceptional... while some were not.
Same as Any other maker :-)
However, Dealers/shop owners, seeing Coin opportunities, would often "supply" boxes. Epidemic actually.
Which resulted in a genuine dogs' breakfast quality control.
Certainly those in the Photos were Not of Tannoy manufacture.
Particle board wasn't a Tannoy Factory Material :-)
Specs? which Golds do you have; the early version w Pleated edges on Cones Or the Rubber surrounds ? Quite Differing specs.
Regardless All you really need know is that these Sound Best on a Current capable Amp (20+ a) Meaning that a (Quality!) SS amp will give Better presence /dynamics sparkle than a tube type.
Took Me years to fully explore that one.. and it's True IMO.

Also these are pretty impressive on Any Music Genre, once rehabbed, Adequately housed AND fed with worth using Gear.
Upstream gear is Important :yes: Audible differences, once heard will make for Forehead slapping.
 
Last edited:
FWIW I believe the cabinets were probably made and assembled in Canada or US. Probably why very little info on "Mallorcans", lots on the drivers...
 
They love tube amps, use a few of KT88 to drive them, bet you won't stop the music playing, by the way, that's a really nice find.:thmbsp::D
 
Thanks to whoever righted that initial pic. I was twisting my head around thinking it was a bookshelf speaker on its side perched precariously on a stack of mail on the edge of a desk, against a wall covered with hideous dark flowered wallpaper. Glad it wasn't, especially once I found out what was inside. :D

PS it's also hideous as carpet but it's your house so it ain't none of mah bidness! :thmbsp:
 
Nice, mine had been siting in the garage, holding up his wife's wicker, which was likley worth less than the speaker....don't ever tell a wicker fan that. :)

So does anyone know what the dampening lining material is?
 
Going to add, a lot of people discount this driver, in this cabinet. But I can't say I can discount it when listening to it. They sound brilliant, and seem to reproduce lots of different music, very well. with enough bass for a smaller space. I've read some places were stuffing the golds into sealed cabinets and adding a sub-woofer creates a lovely experience as well, with a very flat response, minus the bass.
 
Yeah the carpet sucks, no insult taken because i never bought it.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the cabinets suck save for the plastic tannoy symbol on the from grill. I must admit i really love looking at :yes:. I'm sure it could use a recap and definitely some new cabs, most likely a future project. They aren't the main speakers i use, my main rig is a pair of cs99a on top of a pair mach ones. Funny enough i find myself listening more to my bookshelf celestion ditton 10. My listening room is rather small by the way, i get better stereo effect with those dittons.
Anyhow, i find the tannoys to be quite bassy, i dont see any bass issues with this enclosure. I actually like the way the cabs look with the plastic lattice grills, but I will admit the speaker input terminals are just atrocious. Plain steel screw plate ones... Eeeekk.

Im enamoured by the sound and they have put my b&w dm2a that i scored last month on the chopping block.
 
Back
Top Bottom