• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tapes making comeback - Guardians of the Galaxy credited

You wouldn't be able to hear the difference if you listen to a record I played and recorded at the same time to 24 bit WAV and played the digital file back for you.

I don't want to open a debate about it but you will find thousands who agrees analog is better than any digital format.

I wasn't talking 1000s, I said "You" and if "I" did the recording and had you listen. The thing is most people don't listen to a 24 bit WAV file of a direct recording with no editing of the file made. Not even breaking it up into tracks, record one side and leave it alone even comes complete with between tracks surface noise of the records. But the noise is all vinyl and not a mix of vinyl and tape noise so the digital file records cleaner and closer to the record sound, at least with good equipment.
Listen to the vid above I posted, the record I recorded is in the background, If you turn up the volume at the beginning you will hear mostly tape noise, even through the cow bell and it's in the background of the whole recording, you just don't hear it as much through out the music.
 
Last edited:
Vinyl doesn't "deteriorate" at all, it can and does physically wear out from longterm use, especially when a shitty stylus is used. I have plenty of vinyl records that are in excess of fifty years old and are as fresh as they were when new. :)
I once figured that my LP's would last me more plays than a Cd would last the average user before they scratch them to death *laughs*
 
I don't want to open a debate about it but you will find thousands who agrees analog is better than any digital format.
Sorry bud high resolution digital has arrived, Vinyl has been dethroned, old timers and hipsters use it still for their various reasons. But high resolution digital sounds best of all, well except for a live performance
 
Sorry bud high resolution digital has arrived, Vinyl has been dethroned, old timers and hipsters use it still for their various reasons. But high resolution digital sounds best of all, well except for a live performance
God where are all you myth busters coming from?

I love when people come on this site posting in anonymity.

One guy comes on and never heard a quality digital direct recording of a grate vinyl play back system<Digital suxs analog is better>

The next gut comes on and has never had high quality records and played beaters on a Crossly< Analog suxs digital is better>

Reference Point People, Maybe if you said
"I have never heard analog beat digital out for SQ"
"I have never heard digital beat analog out for SQ"

This matter of fact way of stating a comment, is not factual at all, nor for all.
 
There are several factors involved when trying to determine (or explain) "exactly HOW good can a (supposedly) "inferior" format sound ?"

Lessee now....just off the top of my head....

Quality of the source material
Quality of the recording deck, as well as the cleanliness of it`s heads & tape path
Quality of the tape stock being used
Skill of the person doing the recording (i.e., being able to capture the ideal signal level on the tape)
And, of course, the conditions under which said tapes have been stored over the years.

I have a couple of decent cassette decks, a Pioneer CT-F1250, and a TEAC R-888X (3 heads, and dbx). Recently, I was listening to an old cassette (Maxell UDXL II), recorded on the TEAC deck in 1985, w/dbx encoding. Talking Heads "Remain In Light", dubbed from vinyl, was the album. I was kinda shocked at how good it sounded after all these years....clear, no warbling or other distortions, crisp highs, solid lows....actually made me sit up and take notice that maybe an allegedly "dead" format wasn`t quite so dead after all....
 
God where are all you myth busters coming from?

I love when people come on this site posting in anonymity.

One guy comes on and never heard a quality digital direct recording of a grate vinyl play back system<Digital suxs analog is better>

The next gut comes on and has never had high quality records and played beaters on a Crossly< Analog suxs digital is better>

Reference Point People, Maybe if you said
"I have never heard analog beat digital out for SQ"
"I have never heard digital beat analog out for SQ"

This matter of fact way of stating a comment, is not factual at all, nor for all.
I had a VPI TNT Mk I with an SME IV arm with a Sumiko Blackbird cart, it was a lovely table, but when high resolution started creeping up I stopped hearing a difference, then the digital got better. I loved vinyl but it was admittedly a pain in the rear. Suddenly I have albums at my fingertips, and many more available for purchase and download. Why tolerate vinyl anymore? I'm not really an old guy, I used Vinyl because to my ears at the time it was "better" Then something better came along, it's how things work.
 
I still have a nice working cassette deck but I don't miss the format.

Most of my listening was making tapes for the car stereo.
 
I had a VPI TNT Mk I with an SME IV arm with a Sumiko Blackbird cart, it was a lovely table, but when high resolution started creeping up I stopped hearing a difference, then the digital got better. I loved vinyl but it was admittedly a pain in the rear. Suddenly I have albums at my fingertips, and many more available for purchase and download. Why tolerate vinyl anymore? I'm not really an old guy, I used Vinyl because to my ears at the time it was "better" Then something better came along, it's how things work.
There's absolutely nothing cool nor remotely interesting about digital downloads, matter of fact they could vanish like a fart in the wind for all I care. :) Streaming, on the other hand, shows some promise if they can iron just out the kinks and pay the artists fairly.
 
I had a VPI TNT Mk I with an SME IV arm with a Sumiko Blackbird cart, it was a lovely table, but when high resolution started creeping up I stopped hearing a difference,
Nice table, and there is another half to that in order to get the best out of it, the records. Just like not all Digital formats are the same.
I loved vinyl but it was admittedly a pain in the rear.
That's totally understandable.

Suddenly I have albums at my fingertips, and many more available for purchase and download. Why tolerate vinyl anymore?
Understandable, and really a personal choice.

I'm not really an old guy, I used Vinyl because to my ears at the time it was "better" Then something better came along, it's how things work.
Well you don't have to be an old guy to like listening to records. As far as something better came along, well better is just what you like and works for you better. But this is all in the personal realm and not what's better for all, just you.

Me I rock whatever floats my boat and try not to tip others over as to the boat they are in.
 
There's absolutely nothing cool nor remotely interesting about digital downloads, matter of fact they could vanish like a fart in the wind for all I care. :) Streaming, on the other hand, shows some promise if they can iron just out the kinks and pay the artists fairly.
YES! You NAILED IT! My concern if my format of choice is "Cool or interesting" is at the TOP of my mind when I am listening to music! I mean "sound quality" who cares about sound quality?!
 
YES! You NAILED IT! My concern if my format of choice is "Cool or interesting" is at the TOP of my mind when I am listening to music! I mean "sound quality" who cares about sound quality?!
I have CD's, SACD's, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray Audio for all that, digital downloads DO NOT exceed of these in sound quality and are equally susceptible to piss poor recording quality.
 
I have CD's, SACD's, DVD-Audio, Blu-Ray Audio for all that, digital downloads DO NOT exceed any of these in sound quality.
CD's are 44.1 16bit FLAC, SACD's are if memory serves DSD (I had a McIntosh MCD-201 SACD player too) DVD Audio is 96 24bit FLAC I believe. Dunno what Blu-ray audio's equivalent is.
DSC_0536.JPG

DSC_0535.JPG
My music is in here now.
Digital just shed the discs, they weren't needed anymore. Wait till you discover DSP using a computer, not the half baked gimped versions they put in receivers.
 
Last edited:
How much does tape deck quality compensate for cassette tape wear?

No such thing....

The use of tape depends on the skill of the user keeping the tape deck clean and using high quality chrome tapes. Attention to detail is everything because a dirty head and rollers makes your tapes get sticky and get stuck inside the tape deck. But you have the ability to record only the music you want to hear if you have the equipment good enough to do so and cheap low cost equipment and tape decks won’t make it happen.
 
CD's are 44.1 16bit FLAC, SACD's are if memory serves DSD (I had a McIntosh MCD-201 SACD player too) DVD Audio is 96 24bit FLAC I believe. Dunno what Blu-ray audio's equivalent is.

View attachment 1084164
My music is in here now.
Digital just shed the discs, they weren't needed anymore. Wait till you discover DSP using a computer, not the half baked gimped versions they put in receivers.
Good for you, have a day, nice or whatever.
 
CD's are 44.1 16bit FLAC, SACD's are if memory serves DSD (I had a McIntosh MCD-201 SACD player too) DVD Audio is 96 24bit FLAC I believe. Dunno what Blu-ray audio's equivalent is.

View attachment 1084164
My music is in here now.
Digital just shed the discs, they weren't needed anymore. Wait till you discover DSP using a computer, not the half baked gimped versions they put in receivers.
Yeah when I record digitally it's with a Marantz PMD580 to a CF card and or to the computer
 
Back
Top Bottom