• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tascam CD Recorder or CD Recorder + Tape Recorder

chris lehn

New Member
I've saved up enough to buy a Stand-alone CD Recorder and have decided to go pro and get one of the Tascams.

I'm looking at the CD-RW900SL as has been highly recommended.

http://tascam.com/product/cd-rw900sl/

But I also like the CC-222SLmkII which is a CD Recorder and Cassette Recorder in one. Which is RIAA compliant for needle drops.

http://tascam.com/product/cc-222slmkii/

I'm wondering what the group says might be the better choice in regards to reliability. Anyone have any experience with any of these units.

Thank you,

Chris Lehn
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi Chris, I have the 900SL and have only good things to say about it. The rack ears on the side do actually come off if you prefer not to have the Pro look. Three inputs with record volume adjust and you can't go wrong.

I don't like cassettes so I have no opinion on the other machine but it sure does look sexy especially in a darkened room though.

I use Memorex CD-RW disks to make my play disks cuz if I mess something up I can delete the last track and try it again, just like on a reel to reel.

Back in the 70's I had a TEAC A2300SD RTR and loved it. But it was 45 mins per side of the reel and you had to flip. CD's are 80 minutes continuous as you know.

The 900SL records at 44.1 Khz. in MP3 fashion so you would need a compatible CD player in your car to listen to your play disks. My Pioneer player handles them just fine.

So its the best of both worlds here, hope this helps.
 
Last edited:
Hello Chris. If you already have a cassette recorder and a turntable connected to your amp or reciever, go for the CD-RW900SL. I use the CC-222 (older version) of CC-222SLmkII. This was a purchase before I owned a computer and setup in a PA type unit. I can record off two turntables, one direct, and one through amp or reciever to cassette and Cd. You might only need the CD-RW900SL. Both are fantastic units in my opinion. One word of warning you will have to babysit while recording to split tracks as it tends spilt when a passage gets too quiet. I just use it like a tape recorder. side A track 1, side B track 2. not a problem for me. It works just fine for compilations. might be a software out there to split your tracks once you have recorded. :thmbsp:
 
My question would be, if you are going to needle drop on CD-R/RW, why do you need to transfer to cassette?
I guess only you can answer the question why you are looking at the 222. What kind of convenience are you looking for?

I would go for the 900 because I have receiver that allows two tape decks with a Tape 2 as Tape Monitor feature. Currently I hookup my Yamaha K-1020 tape deck as Tape 1 and my Tascam 750 CD recorder as Tape 2.

For the savings by buying the 900 you can get an excellent tape deck if you really need one.

To me a combination deck and CD recorder just adds more complexity and things to go wrong. The 222 tape deck is also auto reverse.

You may want to compare features and specs of the CD recorders by downloading the manuals.
 
Why I'm asking is I am running a Kenwood KA-8150 Amp with only two tape inputs, I have a Minidisk recorder and tape deck set up on those, but I thought that if I went with the CC-222SLmkII I could use just one of the tape inputs and move my original tape deck out to the garage system.

I do worry about setting up too much in one unit, kind of like the all-in-one surround systems that were thrown out when the dvd player quit.

I think I may go with the CDRW900SL as I have heard nothing but glowing reviews for it.

Thanks everyone.

Chris Lehn
 
Hiya Chris!

Where are you planning on buying this unit from?

Onsite?

Or Midwest Sound & Lighting maybe?

Scott
 
The Tascam CDRW900SL hands down! I own and use that fine machine. It has adjustable input signal (2-channel too) and that is very important. You can connect via analog or digital depending on source. It's dead easy to use too. I recently digitized all my cassettes with it. (Tascam output to receiver AUX or Tape either one will work , tape player output to Tascam input and go).
I use Verbatim CDRW discs then put the disc in the PC and convert (and edit if need be). The Tascam records in .cda (which I think is redbook data) so in order for it to play in any player you need to convert it to lossless wav or mp3 I think. Although it plays fine in the PC as is. (I don't like mp3 so I go lossless). The thing with playing a disc recorded on the Tascam without conversion is that you will not be able to do any tagging or editing or titles unless you do it with the Tascam itself.
I'll be doing my vinyl next eventually.
 
Ok, just ordered the CD-RW900SL from B&H Photo - Video for $364 shipped. Can't wait to start burning.

Burn Baby Burn

Thanks,

Chris Lehn
 
I can't comment on the actual units(I use a Yamaha, myself), but I would add another vote for the CD-only unit. I would go that route if I was looking for a CD recorder. I'm not a fan of "all-in-one" solutions personally.
 
One word of warning you will have to babysit while recording to split tracks as it tends spilt when a passage gets too quiet. I just use it like a tape recorder. side A track 1, side B track 2. not a problem for me. It works just fine for compilations. might be a software out there to split your tracks once you have recorded. :thmbsp:

You can adjust how it splits before you start recording. That said though, I notice it doesn't always get it right. I don't like too many things automated personally, so I prefer to babysit it. I also use mine like a tape recorder. I'll record both sides at once to a CDRW and then trough it on the PC and use Audacity to split the tracks, works great.
 
One word of warning you will have to babysit while recording to split tracks as it tends spilt when a passage gets too quiet. I just use it like a tape recorder. side A track 1, side B track 2. not a problem for me.
My Tascam 750 has the ability to disable the Auto Track.
You can also change the trigger level, but I just turn A-Track > OFF.
Other than that, I use it like a tape recorder as you do.

Note: on the 750, I press the Menu button and cycle to A-Track, and use the Multi Jog Knob to toggle the A-Track feature > On or Off.

This is true of my Pioneer PDR-555RW CD recorder, and I always turn Auto Track off when I do needle drops there too.
 
Last edited:
My Tascam 750 has the ability to disable the Auto Track.
You can also change the trigger level, but I just turn A-Track > OFF.
Other than that, I use it like a tape recorder as you do.

Note: on the 750, I press the Menu button and cycle to A-Track, and use the Multi Jog Knob to toggle the A-Track feature > On or Off.

This is true of my Pioneer PDR-555RW CD recorder, and I always turn Auto Track off when I do needle drops there too.

One can disable the autotrack on the Tascam CDRW900SL as well.
 
Ok, just ordered the CD-RW900SL from B&H Photo - Video for $364 shipped. Can't wait to start burning.

Burn Baby Burn

Thanks,

Chris Lehn

Good choice :thmbsp: I sort of got the feeling you did not need the rest of the stuff that comes with the CC-222SLmkII. My needs were different at the time of purchase. It does add more versatality to my system when it comes down to compilations or just different sources to record. :D
 
You can adjust how it splits before you start recording. That said though, I notice it doesn't always get it right. I don't like too many things automated personally, so I prefer to babysit it. I also use mine like a tape recorder. I'll record both sides at once to a CDRW and then trough it on the PC and use Audacity to split the tracks, works great.

One can disable the autotrack on the Tascam CDRW900SL as well.
I guess I don't understand what you and Jovinyl mean by splits. I thought you guys were talking about some problem with the autotrack feature.

I have A-Track off.
So I never have any problems with quiet moments triggering an incremental Track no.

When one side of the LP ends for Track 1, I hit Pause.
Turn the LP over for side 2.
And restart recording for Track 2.

What kind of "split" problem is difficult to get right?
 
I guess I don't understand what you and Jovinyl mean by splits. I thought you guys were talking about some problem with the autotrack feature.

I have A-Track off.
So I never have any problems with quiet moments triggering an incremental Track no.

When one side of the LP ends for Track 1, I hit Pause.
Turn the LP over for side 2.
And restart recording for Track 2.

What kind of "split" problem is difficult to get right?

That is right. Side 1 track 1, side 2 track 2. no problems with that. Now when it comes down to the LP itself say it has 4 tracks side A. 5 tracks side B. Total of 9 tracks. Now when recording to CD with auto track, Guitar solo, string bending part held til it fades out can just barely hear the note. Lets say a moment of silence,1,2,3,4 the band comes back in full force bringing up the volume the song started at till the end of song. you had auto track on During that fade out and moment of silence autotrack came in and split the track as when the band came back in the cd recording now has two tracks for same song. So that same song is now tracks 1+2 on Cd and you still have 8 tracks left to record and should there be other song with parts similar to that it will split them the same way where ever it happens in the songs. So you could have a 9 track Lp that is showing, on Cd recording, 10 or more tracks just for recording side A of a 9 track Lp. :D Hope that made sense :music:
 
I seem to remember someone saying that you could hit the "Record" button on the remote between songs to mark a new track, is that true?

Chris
 
That is right. Side 1 track 1, side 2 track 2. no problems with that. Now when it comes down to the LP itself say it has 4 tracks side A. 5 tracks side B. Total of 9 tracks. Now when recording to CD with auto track, Guitar solo, string bending part held til it fades out can just barely hear the note. Lets say a moment of silence,1,2,3,4 the band comes back in full force bringing up the volume the song started at till the end of song. you had auto track on During that fade out and moment of silence autotrack came in and split the track as when the band came back in the cd recording now has two tracks for same song. So that same song is now tracks 1+2 on Cd and you still have 8 tracks left to record and should there be other song with parts similar to that it will split them the same way where ever it happens in the songs. So you could have a 9 track Lp that is showing, on Cd recording, 10 or more tracks just for recording side A of a 9 track Lp. :D Hope that made sense :music:
Ok, thanks. That makes sense. :thmbsp:
So, the problem IS with Auto-Track > ON.
I thought it was important to note for the OP that could be avoided by turning it OFF.
I seem to remember someone saying that you could hit the "Record" button on the remote between songs to mark a new track, is that true?
Chris
Again, my experience with the Tascam 750 -- but yes.
The section in the manual covers Manual Track Division: While recording, you can increment the Track No. by pressing the Record button.

I don't bother with manual track division, because thats a lot of time monitoring and there's always interruptions that can call you away from the recording location. I find turning Auto Track Off allows me to check on the turkey or go to the bathroom between sides. :D
 
I seem to remember someone saying that you could hit the "Record" button on the remote between songs to mark a new track, is that true?

Chris

Yep, thats correct. I also have the Autotrack or whatever its called turned off.
You can hit the record button on the front panel also to make a new track.
 
Back
Top Bottom