carcrazy
Well-Known Member
I have been looking for some time for an upgrade from my Yamaha G231 II classical guitar that I have been playing for 25 years and ran across a Kijjiji (like Craigs List) ad for a Taurus guitar. These guitars were made in Spain in the 60's - 70's and were sometimes commissioned to make student guitars for the Ramirez shop. The one in the ad is 1968 model 56 guitar with a spruce top.
Well I checked out the guitar yesterday and it looks fine and plays great. The neck of the guitar is straight, very little wear on the ebony finger board and frets, no cracks or splits, no buzzing. The guitar basically plays like new. The owner had put a light coat of varathane on the top since the original finish had worn through in one spot on the top. Hopefully it doesn't yellow with age or i will have to have it stripped and finished properly by a lutier. It looks fine right now. This of course affected the sale price so I was able to get the guitar with the case and an original footrest (from 1969) for $450.
The case looked kind of funky when I first looked at it. The owner says that since the original case looked so worn he had recovered it with an old leather coat. :scratch2:He is an upholsterer by trade and he did a nice job but it looks a little strange with seams across the top. He relined the interior as well. I like it but it is kind of heavy. Guaranteed to be one of a kind. Here are some pics.
Well I checked out the guitar yesterday and it looks fine and plays great. The neck of the guitar is straight, very little wear on the ebony finger board and frets, no cracks or splits, no buzzing. The guitar basically plays like new. The owner had put a light coat of varathane on the top since the original finish had worn through in one spot on the top. Hopefully it doesn't yellow with age or i will have to have it stripped and finished properly by a lutier. It looks fine right now. This of course affected the sale price so I was able to get the guitar with the case and an original footrest (from 1969) for $450.

The case looked kind of funky when I first looked at it. The owner says that since the original case looked so worn he had recovered it with an old leather coat. :scratch2:He is an upholsterer by trade and he did a nice job but it looks a little strange with seams across the top. He relined the interior as well. I like it but it is kind of heavy. Guaranteed to be one of a kind. Here are some pics.