• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Taxi services in U.S.A.

Telecolor 3007

I love old stuff
1) Hope I will post in the right place. How where and are taxi (cab) services in U.S.A. A lot of New York Cityers travel by taxi, but in another cities? Are the fairs affordable?
2) Do in all cities the front seat or seats are prohibited for passangers? In Romania you could ride in the front, but for 2-3 years the taxi drivers are not so happy about front passangers and most of them have put something in the front place... not all. Probably if the are more customers they will let people in front too. For me, it's a great insult not to be let to seat in the front. Ridesharing, nowdays offers sometimes 5 passanger cars. But I think they are rare. Most, only 4 passanger. One night I had to pay all of the ride, because we where 5 and the cab had only 4 seats... I still wish revenge.
3) One thing that I like about U.S.A. taxies is that they display "On radio call" on that top thing. Probably now they can add "On app comand". In Romania they have only "Free" and "Busy". If you wave your hand and see the green light on top, the driver might not stop and you swear... not knowing he's on call/app comand. Among the stupid laws issued here. One company had a big triangular prims on the rooIn Bucharest ... you could see it from a distance... I think it was also after that law with lights was passed.
Up untill 2003? taxies in Bucharest could be any colour. In communist era films you could see "Dacia" 1300/1310 taxies painted in different colours. But they forced them... Anyway, the car dosen't need to be painted in yellow, you can put some wallpaper. In other cities, I don't know if yellow in mandatory, 'cause I've seen red on taxies from other(s) county(ies).
4) In Romania normal drivers have to pass technical inspection once a year. Taxi cars, twice;
5) I wonder if that checker (chess) universal simbol of taxy camed from the "Checker" company.
 
Register to hide this ad
The Checker Cabs in New York City were once as ubiquitous as the famed London Taxi. Big, comfortable, and able to run for hundreds of thousands of miles, the Checker Marathon manufactured by Checker Car Company was the taxi in many US cities during the 1960's, through the 80's. The last one in NYC was decommissioned in 1999. I rode in them many times. The last time I took a taxi in New York it was a minivan. Cramped, uncomfortable and totally lacking in visual appeal. Progress?

The-Checker-Marathon-Cab-in-New-York-1766297289.jpg

checker_taxi_angle_rear-197030727.jpg
 
I know those. When I was younger I thought they where old and oh, they have old taxi cabs in N.Y.C. In the '90's the tv series "Taxi" was broadcasted in Romania by the private owned station Pro Tv. ... whic is less then half of mile from me (next to the school in which I learned)
They made cars for the general public too... but didn't sold many.
A lot of vehicles today have less confortable seats than in the past...
 
I know those. When I was younger I thought they where old and oh, they have old taxi cabs in N.Y.C. In the '90's the tv series "Taxi" was broadcasted in Romania by the private owned station Pro Tv. ... whic is less then half of mile from me (next to the school in which I learned)
They made cars for the general public too... but didn't sold many.
A lot of vehicles today have less confortable seats than in the past...
I knew someone who had one of these as a personal car. They never changed the design since it worked so well for what it was. Dependable, long lived transport.
Definitely a case of function over form towards the end of production, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, no?

Cheers
 
retired Crown Vic police cars were pretty much the go-to for taxis after Checker went out of business. Not so much because they were the ultimate in comfort, but because they were cheap and very durable. Comfort wasn't bad either, though they do lack a bit of rear leg room. There was a model specifically made for fleet use with an extended wheelbase. Its all in the back seat, perfect for a taxi but taxi companies couldn't buy them for the price of an entire lot of used cop cars.

the Vic went out of production in 2011 so those are getting to be uncommon too now.
 
Back
Top Bottom