• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TD 124 Plinth

BMP

New Member
I just finished an MDF plinth for my TD 124 MKI. and am looking for thoughts on the finishing options I have.

1: Have is painted by an auto repair painting shop, clear coated and polished. Sort of traditional.

2: Have it covered with veneer, clear coated and polished. Traditional look.

3: Have it covered with vinyl auto wrap. no end of colours and patterns, could be changed easily either other options.

What do you think?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1170.jpeg
    IMG_1170.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 41
Register to hide this ad
VENEER. I'm building one myself and will use burled walnut and then curly maple for the armboard. IMHO the 124 is old school enough to deserve an old school plinth so -- for me at least -- vinyl wraps are out. I can see #1 depending on the paint etc but I will pretty much always choose wood over paint...
 
And by "I'm building" I mean I have the plans downloaded and once in a while look in my woodshop and go, "Yep, I've still got the materials and tools to do this. Later. Soon. At some point."
 
All of our own aesthetic tastes are so exclusive and individual, it is highly unlikely our own preferred flavours will tick all of your own boxes, but here goes... :biggrin:

I think the sides - showing the laminates - look very cool, but the top surface, not so much.

So, I'd be in favour of retaining the laminates and finishing the top surface in something very durable - in order to cope with constant cleaning and the like.

I'd be heading for something like the following colour scheme, which I find classy, understated, restful and yet totally stunning...

Also, in my experience, Significant Others really appreciate the neutral tones, which do not scream into their carefully curated home décor environment.

WELL TEMPERED AMADEUS.jpg

Our "springless" LP12 hot-rod is due a makeover sometime soon - if I can stop spinning LPs for a few weeks, which is not easy - and I will be heading for this type of schema. :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
I would go with matte black with clear coat. It's kind of the standard and part of the appeal of the vintage. I think it also goes well with the original color of the turntable. Sometimes I get a little fancy with color on my projects. I do love color, but it can become fatiguing after a while.

That's a beautiful plinth build. Nice work!
 
I'd go with wood veneer if I were you. I say "if I were you" because I tried it once and I sucked at it. :rflmao:

I'd also recommend some ventilation openings under your plinth to keep things from getting too warm.
 
Back
Top Bottom