• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TD160 Cartridge Question for Friend

edwyun

Super Member
A friend of mine recently acquired a clean Thorens TD160 Mk1 with the TP16 tonearm. It came with a Shure V15 Type IV but the cantilever looked to be rusted.

So what would you recommend for the cart:

1. Get a new Jico SAS replacement stylus for the V15 Type IV?

2. Get a new cart - like the following (would be feeding the MM phono stage on a Mac Pre):
Nagaoka MP110
Ortofon 2M Blue (though not sure it mates well with the arm)
AudioTechnica 440MLa
Denon DL110

3. Other options?
 
Register to hide this ad
Get the new Jico SAS replacement........ it's a great cartridge! ... I use an old one with a new stylus on one of my Thorens tables and it impresses me right along with the table..... Many of the vintage tables may have been designed to work with the V15 IV...... Check with AK memeber marcmorin...
 
I used a V15 III with Jico SAS on a TD-160 with TP-16 mkii arm for a while, and it was a good match. I'd check to make sure which TP-16 arm you have and check the effective mass.
I think the first TP-16's were pretty heavy, and the mkii is light. The V15 series is excellent.
 
Get the new Jico SAS replacement........ it's a great cartridge! ... I use an old one with a new stylus on one of my Thorens tables and it impresses me right along with the table..... Many of the vintage tables may have been designed to work with the V15 IV...... Check with AK memeber marcmorin...

Yeah, I know the V15 was a top of the line MM cart back in the day and a new Jico SAS would bring it back to life. But I would assume MM cart technology has advanced at least a little since then but no FHE with the other alternatives as compared to the V15 on a TD160.
 
I'd go with the Denon DL-110. It's a better match for the TP-16's 16.5 grams of effective mass. I used to play same rig a lot. It's superb.
 
Back
Top Bottom