• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TDL Studio M replacement drivers or repair

ecc6c2

New Member
TDL Studio Monitor M replacement drivers or repair

I recently purchased a pair of TDL Studio M speakers off of ebay for $300. I thought I got a great deal until I found out that both of the tweeter were ruined. The metal domes were dented and perforated. The seller had put duct tape over one of the holes in the tweeter as a temporary fix. The supertweeters also are dented but don't appear to be cracked/creased/perforated. Does anyone know where I can buy replacement tweeters and possibly supertweeters for the TDL Studio M's? I believe the tweeters are Elac 25DT41 magnesium alloy dome tweeters. Does anyone know the brand and model number of the supertweeter? Is there anyway to just replace the magnesium alloy dome and use the existing magnet? Thanks in advance for the info.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
These were a local sale so I was able to go pick them up from the sellers house. He had just bought and moved into the house and the speakers had been left by the previous owner. He didn't know much about the speakers and when I expressed my concerns over the damaged tweeters he threw in some extra equipment and audioquest cables that had also been left by the previous owner. To clarify, these are the TDL studio monitor M's, and not the studio 1M's (I updated the title of the post). The cabinets were in good condition and I'm pretty sure the woofers and midranges alone are worth what I paid for them. I believe these were around $6500 when new. I'll post some pics later today.
 
Last edited:
Here are the pictures of the speakers and tweeters. I took apart the tweeters and pushed out all of the dents but they are definitely ruined. I haven't done anything to the supertweeters yet. I'm not sure if the dented part of the supertweeters is a cover or the actual metal diaphragm. Anyone know if its possible to repair the tweeters or know where to get a suitable replacement? The foam on the bottom also has a few holes in it. Is there anyone familiar with transmission line speakers that can tell me if the holes in the foam will affect the bass at all? The foam covering the vents only appears to be an inch thick or so.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0897.JPG
    IMG_0897.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom