• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Teac A-5500 was the best Teac reel in A series?

I know that Skywave dislikes the A-4070G, but I like mine very much. The bi-directional recording isn't worth much to me because I don't record with it. The fact that it auto reverses in both directions is a worthwhile feature for me. At times it's nice to have a deck that will play back continuously. It seems to handle tape more gently than my other Teacs. I especially like the black meters.

Replacement heads are available on Ebay for $60 and have been for some time.
 
Okay, that's cool... but did that marketing extend to Europe? Take a look here (from another thread)...

http://new-hifi-classic.de/Gallery_MO/thumbnails.php?album=151

These brochures are pretty cool. For a good many of them, it's obvious the text is NOT in Engish. And yet, the models all have the A in the model number. Did TCA actually take care of the marketing for European countries?

One brochure page in particular clearly says "TEAC Europe BV" in the lower left hand corner... I think it was the A2340R brochure.

I'm sorry if it seems I'm beating this to death... I'm not disbelieveing anyone... please don't think that. I would have been happy with these answers had I not seen these brochures earlier!
 
Last edited:
Interestingly I'm told by the original owner that my Teac was bought at Malaysia. It also has conversion to all voltages in the world with a 50/60 hz selector.
 
That's a good point. I forgot about the voltage/frequency selection. If it was sold here, they didn't come with that feature, did they?

I have two TC-377's. One was bought in Germany by my uncle and has the voltage selector. The other 377 was purchased a few years ago for parts. It does not have the selector and is only wired for the US.

I've assumed Teac's were the same way. I have two Teacs without voltage selectors... the X700R that I purchased new here in this area, and also have an A3340S that a friend bought new in this area years before.

All the other Teac decks I have feature the voltage selector, so it's assumed they were purchased across the pond.
 
My favorite in the A-series is the A-3300SR. It takes 10 1/2" reels and it auto reverses. I've never felt like I needed Dolby for my reel to reels.
 
I don't know if it is the best of the series, it is very nice, but it is pretty hard to go wrong with any of the A series I think.
 
AC motor capstan, 3 motors, 3 heads good in Teac. All else a gamble. The A 5500 should be treated just like an X series machine as far as they go.
 
My A-5500 has been a lot easier to get going than my A-4010 SL, by far. The big advantage now are sites like this for help. You will enjoy your 4070 deck when you get it up and running.
 
I've had my 5500 since 1978 or so and it has worked perfectly. It had a DC motor so I could bring it with me to Europe and not worry about the frequency, just need a step down transformer.
I brought back with me to the US when I moved back and it still works great playing my old tapes. I even have the remote for it. Its cabled, not IR.
About 40 years ago it fell forward ( they are front heavy) and it snapped the tapes holders so I had new take up reel motors put in. I was told they were direct drive take up motors and they work fine. It will reverse automatically if the aluminum tape is installed on the lead out tape but it will not stop when the tape is finished and the pinch roller mechanism is supposed to disengage. So I have to be there and hit stop.
It's fun to play and old Maxell tape of a local radio station and hear them announce the new song from Led Zeppelin. Sounds like yesterday.
 
I'll like to know if somebody have pictures outside and inside and information about a rare reel Teac A-5500.
Some people say that this reel was the best one in A Series!! Is true?
For me the A-7300 was the best Teac deck. I like the classic A series Teac decks with AC motors (though the capstan assembly suffers from lubricant which turns to cement, and the capstan belts). They're sturdy machines once sorted.
 
Back
Top Bottom